In Praise Of The McCarty - "Classic" and "Reissue"

László

Too Many Notes
Let me begin by saying that I've got a 594 on order because, well, t's clearly a must-have. And I have other PRS models.

This isn't a "Oh man, the XYZ model is the best ever, dude, you have to get one," thread. It's an appreciation of what the McCarty has always been - a winner, a guitar you can take to any gig.

I've probably had a half-dozen McCartys, starting around 2001. I've had RW, mahogany and maple necks, humbuckers, P-90s. Had the old tuners and the new tuners. Binding and no binding. Old pickups and new ones.

There hasn't been a dud in the bunch.

I spent a good chunk of yesterday tracking an ad project with my current McCarty model, and just spent an hour noodling with it unplugged as I perused the Forum. What a sweet sounding, beautiful handling, instrument! If ever there was an all-'rounder, the McCarty is that model.

I happen to like a binding, the 58/15 pickups, and the V12 finish. And because I enjoy changing strings about as much as having the plague, I like the faster string changes with the Phase III tuners, plus they're a little nicer to tune the guitar with. So my preference is for the newer ones. However, the "classic" models are great, have their own most excellent vibe going, and I would rock one quite happily (I just don't have one of my older ones any more because I kept being tempted by other stuff, not because they weren't good).

Anyway, as I sat here this morning thinking about my McCarty, I realized that I probably do more projects with it than with my other guitars. It's certainly the guitar I reach for when I'm trying out ideas. Sometimes I'll switch to a different guitar to get a certain sound, or for a certain track, but honestly I don't have to do that very often. And my other guitars are beautiful sounding, amazing-playing Private Stocks. That kind of tells me something about how truly great the McCarty is.

Here's mine; show us yours and tell us about it...

The McCarty platform has been part of my guitar stock for a number of years now. Like you I've had a number of different variations:

Early McCarty burst without coil-splits (This was my 2nd PRS I ever purchased)
MyPRSMCatDaves.jpg

IRW McSoap; the only 1-piece top I've ever owned
McSoap_Close_Front.jpg

IRW McSoap Standard; one of the original 26...bought it from / sold it back to it's original owner
IRW_McSoap_Standard_1.bmp

McCarty HB2 in Royal Blue & McCarty Brazilian Limited; #001/500...bought it new in 2003 and just recently parted ways with it.
PRSiFronts.jpg

Now my River Blue 594 IRW Artist...
594%20Collage.jpg

The McCarty.... That's why I have 4 and a 594 on order. Each one has its own personality, aside from being the well made construction/quality that is PRS, and so enjoyable to play.

The McCarty platform has been part of my guitar stock for a number of years now. Like you I've had a number of different variations:

MyPRSMCatDaves.jpg

McSoap_Close_Front.jpg

IRW McSoap Standard; one of the original 26...bought it from / sold it back to it's original owner

McCarty HB2 in Royal Blue & McCarty Brazilian Limited; #001/500...bought it new in 2003 and just recently parted ways with it.
PRSiFronts.jpg

594%20Collage.jpg
this one is the best specimen in shades of blue I've seen so far

MyPRSMCatDaves.jpg

McSoap_Close_Front.jpg

PRSiFronts.jpg

594%20Collage.jpg

Beautiful stuff! Keep 'em coming, guys!

Three shades of current-era McCarty awesomeness to follow...

1. PS 5644 which is technically (per the PS spec sheet) a McCarty Trem [sic]; in David Grissom's mind a DGT; in my mind the "KD/CR McCarty." Or the next evolution of the KingsleyDGT. Take your pick. (or pic!) "Kingsley's Guitar" is probably the most accurate moniker.

13443058_1129779410409680_8912688230945055939_o.jpg

Last edited:
3. PS 3825 The original KingsleyDGT. The product of a factory visit with Eric from Willcutt Guitars. Beforehand E and I (notorious new guitar hounds) solemnly shook on a "No New Guitars" agreement. The best laid plans... ...the top set grabbed me... ...then the Honduran rosewood (my favorite of the rosewood bunch for necks) neck... ...then the killer coco bolo fretboard... ...and, last but not least, a hunk of korina for the body. And yes, Eric caved as well that day.

PRS_PS_3825_v3.jpg

And a throwback to 2010: a straight-up McCarty in its "Dallas Guitar Show" iteration. Terrific guitar which was obsoleted by the first Collection Guitar which in turn was obsoleted by Kingsley's guitar. Eventually I figured out that the traditional McCarty doesn't have enough volume controls for my purposes. (and yeah, the 594 iteration certainly does... ...thus far I've been sticking my fingers in my ears and yelling "nah nah nah nah!!!!" to avoid jumping into that pool!)

Oh and the other PRS onstage, in the hands of my younger brother, is a Custom 22, a 20th anny version.

229572_175392659181698_7704653_n.jpg

Love my McCarty. It's got a very full, fat sound with a lot of honk in the midrange. Although my P245 tends to get the nod for balls out rock, I tend favour the McCarty any time I need to back things down a notch, or need a fat yet articulate lead.

I love the split tones in this guitar to the point that I've more or less stopped using my Tele.

I'm curious about the 594 but I don't really have any gas for one.

image_1.jpeg

image_2.jpeg

And a throwback to 2010: a straight-up McCarty in its "Dallas Guitar Show" iteration. Terrific guitar which was obsoleted by the first Collection Guitar which in turn was obsoleted by Kingsley's guitar. Eventually I figured out that the traditional McCarty doesn't have enough volume controls for my purposes. (and yeah, the 594 iteration certainly does... ...thus far I've been sticking my fingers in my ears and yelling "nah nah nah nah!!!!" to avoid jumping into that pool!)

Oh and the other PRS onstage, in the hands of my younger brother, is a Custom 22, a 20th anny version.

229572_175392659181698_7704653_n.jpg

I'm likin' all the Kingsley varieties. Speaking of which, I discovered that there's a very fine pedal builder/amp maker in England called Kingsley. Talk about a product with your name on it, Mr. K...

Well, though I'm not the photographer some of you guys are, this is my last purchase from Dave's. It's a Korina McCarty and I'm quite happy with it.

DSC_0321_zpsss3nbtnh.jpg

I viddied that one on Dave's website or one just like it...and thought, "Hmmmmmm..." Sweet guitar!

Love my McCarty. It's got a very full, fat sound with a lot of honk in the midrange. Although my P245 tends to get the nod for balls out rock, I tend favour the McCarty any time I need to back things down a notch, or need a fat yet articulate lead.

I love the split tones in this guitar to the point that I've more or less stopped using my Tele.

I'm curious about the 594 but I don't really have any gas for one.

image_1.jpeg

image_2.jpeg

If you ask me, that's one of the prettiest McCartys I've seen. Of course, you didn't ask. I had to volunteer the information. But it's really cool! ;)

Wow, such a collection of amazing guitars. I do not have a McCarty yet but am looking at a few on various sites. Some road rash one one and significant on another but in m price range given college payments due. Any problems with the non locking tuners and higher headstock angle I should watch out for?

If you ask me, that's one of the prettiest McCartys I've seen. Of course, you didn't ask. I had to volunteer the information. But it's really cool! ;)

lol...the irony is that I keep looking at your guitar and thinking.... if I ever order a custom guitar... it's going to look like that.

Excellent thread, guys.

I have four PRS guitars that are McCarty depth: a Core P24, a PS P408SH Studio, a PS P22SH with Tremonti pickups, and now a PS DGTSH. SH = Semihollow. Undoubtedly, none of these are a true McCarty, so while it would be difficult for you to say what's missing in my lineup that only a true McCarty could offer, what do you believe are the McCarty attributes that set these guitars apart?

I can glean from the 594 videos that its notable strengths are: high-quality, vintage-inspired tone; the heritage 24.594 scale length; the touch sensitive 58/15 LT pickups with individual taps; the asymmetrical neck carve; a mahogany body and neck combo, which is harmonically rich and balanced; the thicker body.

The McCarty department's several other historical flavorings make it even more complex, what with the Soapie, 59/09, McCarty, Artist and other pickup variants. What is the McCarty holy grail?

I'm likin' all the Kingsley varieties. Speaking of which, I discovered that there's a very fine pedal builder/amp maker in England called Kingsley. Talk about a product with your name on it, Mr. K...

Indeed and my friend ordered the Minstrel few years back and it is a killer pedal

Back