Mozzi

https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy/posts
I have been looking around for a LONG time trying to find a Fire Red Burst PRS Special 22 in the UK. I was looking daily at all the PRS Dealers web pages hoping and hoping to find a Fire Red and a couple of months back, I found this 'beauty'. In sheer desperation, I contacted a PRS Dealer and asked if they could source a Fire Red Burst PRS Special but they were told that PRS are not making anymore and there is NO Fire Red Bursts available.

MNZdo85.jpg

That was all I needed to snap up this stunning Charcoal Cherry Burst before that one disappeared too - I can't believe that no one had bought it - perhaps it was always destined to come my way. I of course don't need to go into the details of its specs - its a Limited Edition PRS Special 22 semi-hollow non-10top

t7ewlvo.jpg

Its not due to be dispatched until Monday 24th and in my hands a day later...

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!

nice! Congrats! I've never even heard of a special... looks like a studio

Its basically a Semi Hollow custom 22 that's been expanded. Instead of a 3-way, like most double humbuckers have, its got a 5-way to add in the 'extra' Narrowfield options. Positions 1, 3 & 5 work like a standard 3-way where 1 and 5 are the humbuckers and 3 is the double humbuckers but because of the 5 way, positions 2 and 4 are Humbucker + Narrowfield. I know a Cu22 has a 5 way where 2 and 4 are different combinations of the 2 humbuckers split (bridge humbucker + split neck or both split) and those options remain here as well because both the humbuckers can be split (actually tapped) individually too.

Because of the option to split the two Humbuckers, with the 5 way and the fact that the middle gives both Humbuckers and not the Middle (Narrowfield) as you may expect, this gives 12 possible Pick-up options. Its a bit like the options of a PRS 509 except the middle (position 3 on the 5 way) is just the middle pick-up.

These are 'Limited Editions' right now. They are also Similar to the Modern Eagle but without the Price Tag....

thanks for the info, don't know how I missed this one!

edit: wait, is this also sometimes called the Super Eagle? I don't pay a lot of attention to guitars with a middle pickup, as I just can't gel with one, but that is awesome looking!

thanks for the info, don't know how I missed this one!

edit: wait, is this also sometimes called the Super Eagle? I don't pay a lot of attention to guitars with a middle pickup, as I just can't gel with one, but that is awesome looking!

It's similar to the Super Eagle in terms of having 3 pickups and being a semi hollow. However the Super Eagle has different scale length, different humbuckers and a boost circuit.

You're going to hate me... I ordered a fire red burst artist package one last June and it's due early to mid August now... aCk!!! o_O:eek::confused::D

That's killer, Mozzi. Glad you found out about the colors, and made the leap based on that info. That finish is the same as mine, and Rider1260's SSH and looks great in person. Looking forward to your NGD!

I was a little disappointed to hear that PRS are not making anymore and that I won't be able to get one in the near future as a result. There was no point waiting 'just in case' and, as I had been searching for months, I knew exactly which one would be 2nd choice - I also had a 3rd choice just in case this one had sold. Rather than prevaricate or try to work out a way to get the Fire Red one I found in the US (not that I would have been comfortable with buying from the US with all the shipping and handling as well as Customs and CITES too), I made sure I secured my 2nd choice - and for a non-10top, it looks great in these Photo's. There was a 10-top version over here as well but that looked 'boring' to me...

Its a little on the 'heavy' side although not heavy at all for a guitar. At 7lb 8oz, its not the lightest one as most seem to be around 7lb. I also found one that seemed to have started out in the same colour, but for some reason, a black burst wrap was added over the top so the back was all black, no faux binding but you could see the red burst underneath on the front. This made the front look much darker and I must admit, I did like the effect of this - but wouldn't buy a wrap and a back that the wood grain was not visible.

Anyway, I can't wait to get mine on Tuesday. It may not 'fit' with the rest of the family in terms of colour (It's adopted LOL) but I love this colour too and I would rather have the guitar than go without just because I can't find a totally red one.

You're going to hate me... I ordered a fire red burst artist package one last June and it's due early to mid August now... aCk!!! o_O:eek::confused::D

Of course I won't hate you! Chances are, I will lust after your guitar though. If you are ever in the UK with it, I will swap with you if you want... :D:D

There are other Fire Red versions available in the US and I won't hate anybody that can get to buy them...

If anyone does, I will happily swap if you ever bring it to the UK - I say that now but when it does arrive on Tuesday, you may have to prise it from my dead hands to get it from me...

I was a little disappointed to hear that PRS are not making anymore and that I won't be able to get one in the near future as a result. There was no point waiting 'just in case' and, as I had been searching for months, I knew exactly which one would be 2nd choice - I also had a 3rd choice just in case this one had sold. Rather than prevaricate or try to work out a way to get the Fire Red one I found in the US (not that I would have been comfortable with buying from the US with all the shipping and handling as well as Customs and CITES too), I made sure I secured my 2nd choice - and for a non-10top, it looks great in these Photo's. There was a 10-top version over here as well but that looked 'boring' to me...

Its a little on the 'heavy' side although not heavy at all for a guitar. At 7lb 8oz, its not the lightest one as most seem to be around 7lb. I also found one that seemed to have started out in the same colour, but for some reason, a black burst wrap was added over the top so the back was all black, no faux binding but you could see the red burst underneath on the front. This made the front look much darker and I must admit, I did like the effect of this - but wouldn't buy a wrap and a back that the wood grain was not visible.

Anyway, I can't wait to get mine on Tuesday. It may not 'fit' with the rest of the family in terms of colour (It's adopted LOL) but I love this colour too and I would rather have the guitar than go without just because I can't find a totally red one.

You know, your other option would have been a trip across the pond. You could have hand carried that Fire Red one back as personal property without concern!

You know, your other option would have been a trip across the pond. You could have hand carried that Fire Red one back as personal property without concern!

Of course - but added a ridiculously high premium for taxi's to and from airports, the cost of a return flight and any other additional costs. The costs to just get there and back would eat up my budget for buying the guitar. I had the choice to buy this guitar or pay to go and look at the one in the US...

Mozzi, now that you're diversifying finishes, you're in even greater trouble :p. Congrats my friend. I hope you enjoy your jaw dropping, drool inducing gorgeous guitar.

Last edited:
Back