In a Funk (tastic) Mood today....

Max Headroom

The jacka$$ formerly known as AceRimmer
So I decided to dedicate this afternoon to some serious playing, first time in a few weeks what with too much work.
But I had in my mind a certain sound I was digging for , a kind of rocked up Funk sound(just don't ask!)
It was not working for me, the PS, the 10Top, the CE22 , nope, my trusty "ol85" got the closest but not quite .
So all Core models exhausted I tried the LP and the Strat, absolutely not!
Well what about this 2014 SE Marty Friedman with a bridge pickup claimed to be a Gibson but definitely of unknown origins (next string change I will dig it out)
Woah! That was it, exactly the bite and tone I was looking for, stone the crows!
But the neck is a bit of a baseball bat and not particularly nice to spend a lot of time on for me at least.
That left the 2009 SE Paul Allender which has mostly hung on the wall untouched since I won it in a late night auction on eBay.
I remember putting a new set of Ernie Ball Slinky 11,s on it as I was going to downtune it but never bothered so its tuned to standard E.
This proved to be the cats meow with nearly the same sound as the Marty but a neck I feel I spend forever on, so slinky and fast.
Why have I not spent more time with this baby?

Now interesting when I looked at the Marty that seems and feels like it also has some heavier strings on it so maybe the sound I was searching for came as much from the heavier strings?
Who knows, all I do know is that the session today proved fruitful in the end and have a new favourite toy...for today at least...lol
Hope you dont mind my ramblings.....

Last edited:
Interesting after doing a bit of research.
The Marty has a wide fat neck and the Allender has a wide thin neck.

And first series Allender models are fetching very good money it seems.
Definitely a keeper!!

It's wonderful to find the tone you're looking for when you play.

Did you record it?
I did not but....
Everything is set up and left exactly as it was so...
Tomorrow morning after the de rigueur 2 cups of coffee I will have at it again.
This will also be interesting to see if today was just a mood and mental state of being.
If I like it I may record it..

I did not but....
Everything is set up and left exactly as it was so...
Tomorrow morning after the de rigueur 2 cups of coffee I will have at it again.
This will also be interesting to see if today was just a mood and mental state of being.
If I like it I may record it..
That would be fun! I love hearing my friends play. :)

Back