Improving Tuning Stability

Hungerbeast

I have a Tremonti SE Custom with Trem, what are some adjustments, general things I can do to improve tuning stability?

I feel like after I mess around with the Trem any decent amount the guitar goes out of tune. I installed the bridge myself to a bare body that I purchased, so I’m afraid I didn’t install it properly or didn’t adjust something.

Thank you!

I have a Tremonti SE Custom with Trem, what are some adjustments, general things I can do to improve tuning stability?

I feel like after I mess around with the Trem any decent amount the guitar goes out of tune. I installed the bridge myself to a bare body that I purchased, so I’m afraid I didn’t install it properly or didn’t adjust something.

Thank you!

John Ingram, former PRS guitar tech extraordinaire, walls you through the steps of setting ups and intonating your PRS. He also speaks about tuning stability regards the trem bar. Not sure which video speaks about this, so view both videos.

Thank you!
I recently bought a custom 24 se which came out of the Korean factory. Out of the box I could tell that something was slightly off and tuning stability was an issue. I took the guitar to my guitar tech, who has also been building his own brand of guitar for 30 years. After taking a few measurements, he was amazed at the quality of this instrument for the price point, but said a few adjustments were needed. All the frets were good but the nut height was a bit high, the intonation was slightly out, the action was adjusted to suit my playing style and, as I don't use the tremolo, he suggested blocking the trem so that only a foward motion was possible. 3 hrs later, the guitar was perfect. Totally stable now, great to play and blocking the trem has created more sustain. I'd strongly suggest getting a decent guitar tech to do a complete set up.

I recently bought a custom 24 se which came out of the Korean factory. Out of the box I could tell that something was slightly off and tuning stability was an issue. I took the guitar to my guitar tech, who has also been building his own brand of guitar for 30 years. After taking a few measurements, he was amazed at the quality of this instrument for the price point, but said a few adjustments were needed. All the frets were good but the nut height was a bit high, the intonation was slightly out, the action was adjusted to suit my playing style and, as I don't use the tremolo, he suggested blocking the trem so that only a foward motion was possible. 3 hrs later, the guitar was perfect. Totally stable now, great to play and blocking the trem has created more sustain. I'd strongly suggest getting a decent guitar tech to do a complete set up.

Nice! Congrats on your SE, and welcome to the Forum.

When I owned a Tremonti SE, I put Grover mini locking tuners and a Graphtech TUSQ nut on it. The TUSQ nut seemed to make the most difference. After installing it, that guitar would stay in tune even with heavy whammy bar use.

Back