Improved PRS Custom 24?

shallbe

I have a 2008 Custom 24 Artist pack guitar I LOVE. Santana Yellow, and a larger than average Regular neck carve with a black Macassar ebony fretboard. It is stock, sounds clear, chimey and powerful. It plays incredibly well and has been on countless gigs. Hands down, the best CU24 I have ever heard or played. I think the ebony has something to do with the sound. It is a very light guitar.

I also have a 2004 Santana II I acquired last year, and have come to really appreciate it as well. Much bigger neck, bridge pickup nearer to the actual bridge, fatter, deeper overall body. Although a shorter scale, the guitar just feels bigger everywhere. The Santana II feels substantial without being heavy.

If the two were combined somewhat, it would be an amazing guitar. A custom 24 with the Santana neck carve, and the thicker body depth of a McCarty or 594. Move the bridge pickup closer to the bridge for more cut and spank. Keep the same 10" radius and 25" scale.

It could be done easily (just a bit more mahogany) and a bridge pickup position tweak. More mahogany is usually a good idea anyway, and people are gravitating to larger necks it seems. Call it the CU24 Plus, because it has more wood.

What do you think?

I'd like a Custom 24 with a neck carve similar to the 408 -- sounds like your Custom 24 is in that range?

There are "fatback" Custom 24 versions out there. Otherwise, time to raise funds for a Private Stock order?

I know, and I remember playing an early PRS Artist 1, which was a blinged out CU24 and I think it had a WF neck and a thicker body. Long time ago, but a great guitar. They do special runs all the time that aren't PS, and this would be a killer one. Move that bridge pickup a bit, make it fatback with the big Santana neck (minus the heel). If it was a wood library run, add an ebony board and you have the ultimate CU24.

I'd like a Custom 24 with a neck carve similar to the 408 -- sounds like your Custom 24 is in that range?

I've never played a 408, so I would not know. When I bought this guitar used (but mint) in 2008, it was a special order for this guy. The color, top and woods were exactly what I was looking for. When I asked why he was selling it, he said, "The neck is too big." I said, "Sold!"

It feels like my DGT neck, and almost a WF.

Hopefully someone is paying attention that could make this run happen. I think this would be a great guitar---add old birds and we have a new classic. A fatter feeling and bigger sounding CU24. Much like the 594 has upped the game for the singlecut and McCarty style guitars.

I have been on this forum almost since the beginning and VR before that, I have posted similar requests for years. Not sure if it will EVER happen.

It always seemed to make sense to me just as with you. CU22 spins out a McCarty, which spins off a DGT which spins off a DC594. Why not the same type of evolution with the CU24???

I am sure with the same woods a thicker body and fatter neck would make for a fatter sound. I know I could get use to a fatter body but the Reg neck is so perfect for me - I feel that the Pattern neck might slow me down a bit...

Hey, they already have the Custom 24 Piezo (formerly P24) McCarty thickness with a piezo system thrown in. Only comes with pattern thin or pattern regular, but you could probably get pattern neck with AP.

As said above the P24 is thicker. Does it sound better or thicker than a CU24. I have both with the same pups in each - it does not sound better. Again different woods for sure.

I think that a BIG difference in MY two gtrs is the pups. Even though they are the same type, the one in my CU24 is magical. I also have the same pup in a SCT which I find better than the P24 but still not as magical as the CU24. The other weird thing is the "magical" one is the wrong spacing as compared to the other two...

I have been on this forum almost since the beginning and VR before that, I have posted similar requests for years. Not sure if it will EVER happen.

It always seemed to make sense to me just as with you. CU22 spins out a McCarty, which spins off a DGT which spins off a DC594. Why not the same type of evolution with the CU24???

I am sure with the same woods a thicker body and fatter neck would make for a fatter sound. I know I could get use to a fatter body but the Reg neck is so perfect for me - I feel that the Pattern neck might slow me down a bit...

I'm glad to know I'm not alone in this. It has been on my mind for a while, and really reinforced by playing the Santana II. Both my CU24 and Santana II are 24 fretters, and I have grown to really appreciate that. I think a CU24 with a fatter body and neck would attract even more people to the model, and like you said, be a part of PRS evolution. More mahogany to me has always been a good thing.

It would be easy to find the ideal pickups for this guitar, since PRS makes so many good models now. Just test them out for each position, and no covers with black bobbins, please! McCarty switching. Uproute under trem.

Since I'm dreaming anyway, it should be available in the following colors: Santana Yellow, Emerald Green, Teal Black, Amber, Vintage Yellow & Whale Blue.

... CU22 spins out a McCarty, which spins off a DGT which spins off a DC594. Why not the same type of evolution with the CU24???
The Original PRS spins out a Cu24, which spins off the Standard 24, and spins off the CE24, and spins off the Cu24 Floyd. Not to mention all the limited editions with stoptails and two piece bridges, thicker bodies and headstocks. I'd say they have already done it.

The Original PRS spins out a Cu24, which spins off the Standard 24, and spins off the CE24, and spins off the Cu24 Floyd. Not to mention all the limited editions with stoptails and two piece bridges, thicker bodies and headstocks. I'd say they have already done it.

Not to the extent that I am proposing, and not to the extent of evolution of other models. We want a thicker and bigger necked CU24. It has only happened with the Artist 1, I think, and that was a long time ago. PRS guitars like the McCarty, the DGT and now the even thicker 594 have all benefitted and been successful due to more mahogany body thickness and beefier neck shapes. Time to do it with the CU24 as well. It will sell.

Anybody at PRS reading this? I hope so.

Back