Impossible? I Like All The Neck Profiles

What I've found is that while a good setup is absolutely vital, the neck profile is something I get used to in about a half a second.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who is neck agnostic. I see all of these conversations about neck shape and how guitar X would be perfect if it only had a Y neck shape, but I sure can't notice the difference unless I pick one up within seconds of playing another. I'm probably not a great gauge of this sort of thing though. I also don't notice "setup" very much. You don't hear all that much about it relative to PRS, but how many times have I heard people say that Gibsons are set up horribly out of the box. I've never noticed. I guess I spent a bunch of time early on with uncompensated Gibson wraptail bridges and good enough just always seems...well...good enough... It's very rare that I've played a guitar that was so off with intonation that my fingering didn't automatically compensate. I sort of wish it did matter more to me though because I'd probably enjoy tinkering with neck relief or bridge height, or whatever...

Last edited:
I'd say I pay attention to the neck profile the least when buying a guitar, I've never really had a problem playing anything. That being said, there are some out there that are a little too extreme for me.... The Peavey Axcelerator F (which happens to be my personal Phoenix instrument - Mythical creature impossible to catch) has an extremely wide fretboard, and it's harder for me to play the lower strings due to my hand size, lol. The other is my brothers Fender Strat, for some reason I can't play it, and I think it's because the strings are just too close together... it's almost like my daughters "childs" guitar thin, made for tiny hands. I don't understand why he bought it because he has bigger mits than me, lol.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who is neck agnostic. I see all of these conversations about neck shape and how guitar X would be perfect if it only had a Y neck shape, but I sure can't notice the difference unless I pick one up within seconds of playing another. I'm probably not a great gauge of this sort of thing though. I also don't notice "setup" very much.

I notice setup because I play with a light touch. And for recording, intonation has to be at least in the ballpark.

So I'm curious?

I have relatively small hands and seem to prefer thinner necks (think Ovaition Celibrity). Based on that, which PRS neck style might you all suggest?

Why specifically do you suggest it?

I lean towards blues/rock/jazz style of playing...

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Rick

I, too, am an insensitive lout when it comes to neck carves. I'll ply anything and love it!

I have very large hands and I seem to get along with most neck shapes but given a choice I would pick wide fat. Neck shape would not be a deal breaker fo me. What bothers me is short scale guitars, I always seem to struggle with LPs.

So I'm curious?

I have relatively small hands and seem to prefer thinner necks (think Ovaition Celibrity). Based on that, which PRS neck style might you all suggest?

Why specifically do you suggest it?

I lean towards blues/rock/jazz style of playing...

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Rick

Any that PRS makes. Really. None are all that radically different. Most Guitar Centers have a few on the high wall. Sometimes even some custom models. Go handle some and see what you think.

Let us know what you think.

I find I am more sensitive to fingerboard radius than neck profile. I am most at home with a 10" radius. Maybe that's why I really don't mind switching from the WT,WF, Pattern this/that, they all feel pretty good.

Flatter fingerboards (like some Ibbys and the Music Man LIII I tried out) just don't feel right to me. Necks I can deal with.

I find I am more sensitive to fingerboard radius than neck profile. I am most at home with a 10" radius. Maybe that's why I really don't mind switching from the WT,WF, Pattern this/that, they all feel pretty good.

Flatter fingerboards (like some Ibbys and the Music Man LIII I tried out) just don't feel right to me. Necks I can deal with.

Interesting! You're multineckamonoradiaadextrous.

It's the guitar equivalent of antidisestablishmentarianism.

I, too, like tighter radii, 10" being quite comfortable, although my first guitar, which seemed to "set" my preference for shallow carves, had an almost flat fretboard. I would probably like the PRS Wide-Thin neck, but I have never had a chance to play one.

Back