Importing a used core from Japan to US

In a pure shocking moment today, I was home packing, getting ready for tomorrow AM's trip across the US when a knock comes at the door.

NGD!

Unfortunately, I don't have time to play much with it. Certainly needs some TLC, strings and a setup. Looks to be in pretty nice condition though. Will have to wait until I get back from Ca. though.

cXQqnLR.jpg
WI5Wsq1.jpg
zw04IkZ.jpg

Hey everyone. I was hoping to get some feedback on this very topic and can’t find real specific info. Anyone have any clue as to if duties and clearance fees for a Maryland made PRS coming from a dealer in the UK would be due?

I’m getting mixed feedback from there will be fees to “since it’s a US made guitar, there shouldn’t be any fees when you reimport the guitar”. I get the CITES forms, but anyone have feedback on potential fees?

Thanks!

Steve

Well in my case, I didnt pay a cent to anyone but the seller in Japan. No fees, no delays (other than the ones detailed in this thread), no customs, no CITES issues... nada. I would do it again, Steve... like was said earlier, sometimes you get an A*hole customs inspector who feels like its their duty to impose a duty... but I don't think you're running much of a risk buying foreign and reimporting a US made good.

Hey everyone. I was hoping to get some feedback on this very topic and can’t find real specific info. Anyone have any clue as to if duties and clearance fees for a Maryland made PRS coming from a dealer in the UK would be due?

I’m getting mixed feedback from there will be fees to “since it’s a US made guitar, there shouldn’t be any fees when you reimport the guitar”. I get the CITES forms, but anyone have feedback on potential fees?

Thanks!

Steve

My only experience was buying a new guitar, made in England, and shipped to Chicago. I had no dealings with CITES as the woods on the build were not CITES listed. It was a $3,200 guitar, and my Fed Ex account was billed $173 for import, or taxes. The nice thing was not having to pay VAT (UK taxes, I think), which made the guitar about $800 less than the UK price. They paid for shipping, and I didn't know it was going to cost me anything until I saw my Fed Ex statement at the end of the month. Cool thing was the dealer shipped International Overnight (not at my request). It was here in two days.

That's absolutely gorgeous! Congrats! Interesting Santana, too. The knobs are in typical PRS locations, not bunched together like typical Santanas...was this an Anniversary thing?? Looks like the typical backplate , not Santana style. Not doubting authenticity at all...just looks a little curious.

Edit: Googled and found another like this...also 25th Anniversary. And the short lived Santana MD had knobs like this, with an extra switch. Way cool!!

Last edited:
My experience is the same as bodia with a private stock guitar from the UK but no charges to me. Seller was a pro.

In a pure shocking moment today, I was home packing, getting ready for tomorrow AM's trip across the US when a knock comes at the door.

NGD!

Unfortunately, I don't have time to play much with it. Certainly needs some TLC, strings and a setup. Looks to be in pretty nice condition though. Will have to wait until I get back from Ca. though.

cXQqnLR.jpg
WI5Wsq1.jpg
zw04IkZ.jpg
that reminds me of when i get my custom 24. dealer told me it would probablly be a 6 month wait for it and i got a notification that it shipped 2 weeks later. best part was i told my GF i would wait until july to buy a guitar because thats when i gotnmy final raise and shenwas ok with me ordering it sense they said they wouldntncharge me until it shipped. you should have seen the look on her face when i walked in with it xD

Back