I'm Sorry, But Pop Music Without Guitar Solos Sucks.

Word. Guitar solos in “Pop” music were like a fad whose time had come to an end, and is like lamenting the loss of a partial nudity sex scene in films.

They both came about a third of the way through the piece too! Sometimes it was great, but it became so formulaic and predictable. I actually recall routinely fast forwarding through the important bits of songs and movies to get to the solo/t!ts as a young man.

I won’t go as far as saying I like guitar driven music more than Depeche Mode though. I love Depeche Mode.

I wasn't saying I prefer guitar music to Depeche Mode, I was saying that while the majority of my musical taste is guitar driven, I love Depeche Mode equally :). Depeche Mode is also one of the best live acts I've ever seen.

The Kinks didn't have solos on most of their records. Some of their songs were less than two minutes long. They didn't last long.

I couldn’t agree with you more Les……being a lead guitarist, for me, the solo‘s the most interesting part of the tune.
but that’s just my narrow mindfulness……
After Nirvana, guitar solos weren’t cool to that generation…Or so they’ve told me so…
Bring on the Fender Mustang:eek::oops::rolleyes:
No wonder I can’t stand Nirvana! Hahahahahahahahahaha

Part of the problem is that somewhere along the line, upcoming guitar players missed the lessons of their elders and eschewed melodic solos that built tension and release and instead just tried to cram as many distorted notes as possible into their allotted time (also a problem) to show of their d**ks skills. A solo with no space to breath is an atmosphere without oxygen, eventually everything dies.

Let’s call it the Eddie Van Halen Effect. It’s not Eddie’s fault, mind you, he was the natural evolution and he skipped no steps. But aspiring shredders didn’t hear WHAT Eddie played, they heard how fast/how many notes he played and skipped straight to that without ever embracing soul, fire, emotion, space and the ever elusive “playing what the music calls for”. This led to boring guitar. At that point, the mid-80s rolled around and aliens implanted the “sh*tty music“ chip in about 70% of humanity, sparing anyone who like jazz, the Grateful Dead or knew who Sister Rosetta Tharpe was.

Hope this helps. ;)

@LSchefman , the only part of this thread I don't understand is why you're sorry. It is your opinion, which you have a right to, but I'm not sure how it could offend anyone. I guess the only potential arguable point is that it doesn't have to be guitar. But there needs be some solo. Piano, organ, or even as someone suggested above as in the Jethro Tull example, flute, Of course, Marshall Tucker could argue here in agreement. But most songs need a solo. It is usually guitar, but some solo.

That was the most watchable I have ever found their music to be.

Yeah they knew exactly what they were doing with the track and video. Eye and ear candy for everyone, two and a half minutes with a 30 second guitar solo.

Speaking of the solo, to reinforce Les's point of solos making pop songs better, I think Scott LePage created an absolute gem. He did a play through on the 'tube...

I wasn't saying I prefer guitar music to Depeche Mode, I was saying that while the majority of my musical taste is guitar driven, I love Depeche Mode equally :). Depeche Mode is also one of the best live acts I've ever seen.
I love Depeche Mode. They're going on tour soon, and I'm going with them as a sideman. I'll be playing guitar solos.

"You just made that up."

"Yes. But I do love their music."

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.
Yeah, but even monkeys fall out of trees...

My feeling is that sometimes solos get overdone/overplayed and are crammed in to the point of being wasted and boring. Which I think has been noted, just my personal take on it. Same old same old type of thing to the point of nausea boiling up though my throat into my mouth. Sooner or later it becomes useless fluff. There is a time and a place, but it needs to be used wisely and creatively to be desirable. T&A for the sake of T&A in a movie is just gratuitous.
Having said that, there needs to be that front line solo to make the song meaningful in its own right. That's really why we play and write the songs, neh?

Oh, and I wear pleated trousers dammit! But I call them hakama:D

T&A for the sake of T&A in a movie is wonderfully gratuitous.
Fixed it for ya,

Just kidding, I always fast-forward through that stuff to get to the plot.

"Liar! You don't even watch movies any more!"

"True, but if I did, I'd fast-forward through it,"

"You would watch."

"OK, I'd watch. But I certainly wouldn't want to piss Daryl off! Look at him!"

"Is he gonna fight those kids?"

Last edited:
Back