I'm so stupid that I...

My first time playing on a stage in front of an audience when I was younger, we only had two songs. I was rhythm guitar and vocal. The other guys were so nervous too, they never stopped to tell me they couldn’t hear my singing. I hadn’t turned off the mics mute switch. I discovered this after we finished performing.

After getting my first new car in my 20s, I bought some shiny alloy performance wheels and stiffer sway bars to feel like I had a sports car. After putting them on, I went for a spin to see what they could do for handling. I wasn’t familiar with the back roads in that area, or performance driving in general, but I went anyway. It was fun, until I hit an unexpected hairpin turn going too fast. The brakes would have worked much better if the road wasn’t covered in sand left over from winter. My driving skills were no match. Sideways into some strong fence posts. Much stronger than the body panels of my car or the aluminum of my new wheels.

My first time playing on a stage in front of an audience when I was younger, we only had two songs. I was rhythm guitar and vocal. The other guys were so nervous too, they never stopped to tell me they couldn’t hear my singing. I hadn’t turned off the mics mute switch. I discovered this after we finished performing.

After getting my first new car in my 20s, I bought some shiny alloy performance wheels and stiffer sway bars to feel like I had a sports car. After putting them on, I went for a spin to see what they could do for handling. I wasn’t familiar with the back roads in that area, or performance driving in general, but I went anyway. It was fun, until I hit an unexpected hairpin turn going too fast. The brakes would have worked much better if the road wasn’t covered in sand left over from winter. My driving skills were no match. Sideways into some strong fence posts. Much stronger than the body panels of my car or the aluminum of my new wheels.
Glad you came out safe... lesson learned mate!

Dealing with a cracked rib. But I have s**t to get done so I put more of the physical stress on the other side. Now I think I have a torn left rotator cuff. Can't play for 5 minutes without being in agony, can't barely wash/brush my hair, reach into a cupboard, shoveling snow is excruciating. Dirty friggin' up and down word I hurt. Need to go see the saw bones I reckon.

Dealing with a cracked rib. But I have s**t to get done so I put more of the physical stress on the other side. Now I think I have a torn left rotator cuff. Can't play for 5 minutes without being in agony, can't barely wash/brush my hair, reach into a cupboard, shoveling snow is excruciating. Dirty friggin' up and down word I hurt. Need to go see the saw bones I reckon.
Bummer dude, go get fixed up!
I remember flying off my dirt bike and landing on a log in the woods.
I could barely breathe and it took everything I had to get back down the mountain and home. I knew I had cracked some ribs.
Next day I stupidly went and tried to play baseball. Bwahahahahaha!!! What a mistake.
So I went to the doctor the next day and he says... Yup... you've got cracked ribs...
OK, well what can I do for it?
Nothing...
Took about three weeks to lose most of the pain. Sometimes it just takes time.

Oh man…. I’m so sorry that happened to you. Yup. I’ve had a broken rib. Trying to compensate using the other side doesn’t work. It just screws up more stuff. Best to wait it out.

Story time:
Because of heavy bruising, they didn’t see the break and thought it was just badly bruised. Gave me a few weeks off. (Heavy labor work) While combing my hair the morning I was supposed to go back, my wife comes up and says, “Ready to go back?”, as she slapped me on the rib. That displaced the break. I said, “Not any more. Call the doctor for another X-ray”.

Bummer dude, go get fixed up!
I remember flying off my dirt bike and landing on a log in the woods.
I could barely breathe and it took everything I had to get back down the mountain and home. I knew I had cracked some ribs.
Next day I stupidly went and tried to play baseball. Bwahahahahaha!!! What a mistake.
So I went to the doctor the next day and he says... Yup... you've got cracked ribs...
OK, well what can I do for it?
Nothing...
Took about three weeks to lose most of the pain. Sometimes it just takes time.
I have lots of experience with cracked and broken ribs from my race crash 5 years ago. And no, they do nothing for them unless emergency surgery for a punctured lung is necessary. They don't want to crack open the membranes.
What I don't understand is what I actually did to my shoulder, only that it's crazy painful. Never felt anything of an injurious nature that yelled "ouch" at me. Only when I went downstairs to play for a bit the pain was extreme in a very short time. I had some serious work on some new licks planned but that has to wait for a consult at the hospital tomorrow. I can live with the carpal and the rib will heal in time but this is the shits.☹️

I have lots of experience with cracked and broken ribs from my race crash 5 years ago. And no, they do nothing for them unless emergency surgery for a punctured lung is necessary. They don't want to crack open the membranes.
What I don't understand is what I actually did to my shoulder, only that it's crazy painful. Never felt anything of an injurious nature that yelled "ouch" at me. Only when I went downstairs to play for a bit the pain was extreme in a very short time. I had some serious work on some new licks planned but that has to wait for a consult at the hospital tomorrow. I can live with the carpal and the rib will heal in time but this is the shits.☹️
Shoulders are weird. Lots can happen to them. Often so gradually that you don’t notice until something (like your mishap) triggers the last straw. Also, muscular rips and tears are frequent when it comes to those muscles. Probably most common is a rotator cuff tear.

I wore both of my shoulders out with heavy labor. Had both replaced. Every now and then something will shift and, oh boy, that hurts.

Had a new bud, retired Cop and his Wife, invited me to their Parents home on the River in Arizona. Now this was my drinking days and I was the King:oops:… After a very full evening with a group of guys and LOTS of booze it was time to crash. The Parents were champs at the party scene and very nice to me. Really late , it was just my friend and I and time to call it a night. I had the fold out couch in the living room. Lights were out and I “ felt” my way to the couch, ahhhhhhhhhhh…….

Next morning, I awake to the sound of voices on the porch. I rolled out of the “ bed “ that was so lovingly set out for me. I look at the bed as I am pulling up my jeans and

I DIED RIGHT THERE!!!!! I SHAT THE BED

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, look again..NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I totally freaked, I gathered the bedding and went to my friends Mom and asked “ may I wash these?”

Failed to say it was mid Summer in Arizona, hot as heck. My friends Mom put Chocolate candy on my pillow like if I was in a Hotel. You do the math..
To this day, it’s still one of the best stories……..

Had a new bud, retired Cop and his Wife, invited me to their Parents home on the River in Arizona. Now this was my drinking days and I was the King:oops:… After a very full evening with a group of guys and LOTS of booze it was time to crash. The Parents were champs at the party scene and very nice to me. Really late , it was just my friend and I and time to call it a night. I had the fold out couch in the living room. Lights were out and I “ felt” my way to the couch, ahhhhhhhhhhh…….

Next morning, I awake to the sound of voices on the porch. I rolled out of the “ bed “ that was so lovingly set out for me. I look at the bed as I am pulling up my jeans and

I DIED RIGHT THERE!!!!! I SHAT THE BED

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, look again..NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I totally freaked, I gathered the bedding and went to my friends Mom and asked “ may I wash these?”

Failed to say it was mid Summer in Arizona, hot as heck. My friends Mom put Chocolate candy on my pillow like if I was in a Hotel. You do the math..
To this day, it’s still one of the best stories……..
Ah yes... what are friends for... Bwahahahahaha!!!

Shoulders are weird. Lots can happen to them. Often so gradually that you don’t notice until something (like your mishap) triggers the last straw. Also, muscular rips and tears are frequent when it comes to those muscles. Probably most common is a rotator cuff tear.

I wore both of my shoulders out with heavy labor. Had both replaced. Every now and then something will shift and, oh boy, that hurts.
Just had rotator cuff and partial Bicep reattached, it’s soooo fun…..Best of luck!!!!

Givin it what I got!!!!! Thank to all, I am off to be mentored by one of our finest this morning. Jak3af3r
Best of luck in the recovery.
Turns out mine wasn't a torn cuff, but a badly strained bursa. Some cortisone and a couple days limited motion and I'm good to go. Back to my regular regimen of playing...which is most of the time now. Loving retirement!

Best of luck in the recovery.
Turns out mine wasn't a torn cuff, but a badly strained bursa. Some cortisone and a couple days limited motion and I'm good to go. Back to my regular regimen of playing...which is most of the time now. Loving retirement!
Best job I ever had.

I used to think of retirement as some far off goal, but I'm at the age (and I guess attitude) that I now aspire to retire. It's become more of a "how soon can I do it" situation (answer: not soon enough - gonna be a few years yet).
I talked to the owner of the company I joined after graduation about retiring within two years of starting to work. He strongly disagreed about how much money I would need - turns out he was right. At that time, I just wanted to retire for long enough to build a house, after which I expected to work again for a bit.

Once my kids spent enough time in university to get a bachelors degree, I got serious about planning retirement.

I've always felt that I would never be able to retire. Coming from very humble beginnings I guess it's natural. Now I'm, 5 - 10 years away and I still wonder if I'll be able to actually do it. Not because of finances, we've done fairly well at building the nest egg, but because the future is so uncertain, and the current rate of inflation is pretty alarming.

If things get stable again it could be a real possibility.

Back