I'm so stupid that I...

Well, the list is far too long to list here, but my crowning achievement as far as stupidity goes was...

I re-married my first ex wife (a.k.a. Plaintiff #1) after being divorced for like 6 months. I highly recommend NOT doing that.

I told my dad we were getting re-married. He stopped what he was doing, stared at me in bewilderment, while shaking his head and said..."That's the equivalent of having a "garage sale" then, buying all of your old sh!t back!" Then he told me he really didn't think dropping me on my head as a kid caused permanent damage, but apparently he was badly mistaken, called me a dumb@$$ and walked away.

Hindsight being 20/20 and all, apparently pops knew what he was talking about.

A friend of mine dated a woman in another state years before I knew him. He used to tell us stories of how crazy he was, and how he always felt a little guilty for breaking up w/her when she was going through a bad time. He eventually got married, had a couple kids, and ultimately ended up getting divorced.

A few month after, he told a couple of us that he had gone back to Kansas to see the old girlfriend and they were now engaged. I said, "Man, are you sure? This is awfully quick." Our other buddy said, "Dude, no. Don't do it. I know we screw around and give you sh!t a lot, but this is 100% serious. Don't do this. You're on the rebound and you feel guilty about her. Wait six months and really think about it."

He didn't. Paid to move her and her two daughters here.

It lasted maybe two years. She was still kind of goofy in the head, the kids walked all over her, and she was jealous with a capital FREAKING JEALOUS. He told me one time at the mall, the daughters wanted to go to Victoria's Secret, so he and the wife waited outside. He had to look at the ground because she didn't want him looking at the girls who were going to the store. Another time he said something to her about being too jealous and said, "I feel like if I pass a woman on my floor at work, I can't say hi because you'll get upset." She said, "Who is this woman? Do you have a thing for her?" That kind of crazy. And they ended up divorced.

About four or five years ago, he remarried her. I said, "Dude, if you're happy, I'm happy for you, but are you sure? I mean, really sure? Because I remember how she treated you before." They're still married, but the few times I've seen them out, if she wants to go, he has to go. It's just kind of weird to watch.

My middle age crisis was a bit outside of what most adult males would consider "normal". The stereotypical male in his 40's goes and buys a sportscar or a motorcycle that he's dreamed about all his life. Already had a bike (ok two of them), and lost the craving for speed in a car with said bike(s). Sold my business and decided in my infinite wisdom to become a commercial pilot, complete with my own private airplane. That in itself might not seem all that bad, but with zero income and not a huge nest egg to play with, it' wasn't a very sound economic plan. What they don't tell you in flight school is what actually has to happen in order to make any kind of a living as a pilot. That and keeping an aircraft, a hangar, and building enough time to actually catch the interest of an operator that has any intent of keeping a mature (?) adult long term over a young guy hungry for that million to one shot at the majors is slim to nil. And slim left town ages ago. So ten years (and a few $6 digits later) I started over. Thankfully, my protected nest egg remained intact (retirement fund) and I'm free to keep on with my growing musical addiction. On the plus side, I did have a lot of good times punching holes in the sky and did enough of the necessary and serious training to avoid becoming a statistic of CFIT (controlled flight into terrain...i.e. crashing and dying). Also had a really sweet plane in the process
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nqfna3lutxmqtng/IMG_8590.jpg?dl=0

A friend of mine dated a woman in another state years before I knew him. He used to tell us stories of how crazy he was, and how he always felt a little guilty for breaking up w/her when she was going through a bad time. He eventually got married, had a couple kids, and ultimately ended up getting divorced.

A few month after, he told a couple of us that he had gone back to Kansas to see the old girlfriend and they were now engaged. I said, "Man, are you sure? This is awfully quick." Our other buddy said, "Dude, no. Don't do it. I know we screw around and give you sh!t a lot, but this is 100% serious. Don't do this. You're on the rebound and you feel guilty about her. Wait six months and really think about it."

He didn't. Paid to move her and her two daughters here.

It lasted maybe two years. She was still kind of goofy in the head, the kids walked all over her, and she was jealous with a capital FREAKING JEALOUS. He told me one time at the mall, the daughters wanted to go to Victoria's Secret, so he and the wife waited outside. He had to look at the ground because she didn't want him looking at the girls who were going to the store. Another time he said something to her about being too jealous and said, "I feel like if I pass a woman on my floor at work, I can't say hi because you'll get upset." She said, "Who is this woman? Do you have a thing for her?" That kind of crazy. And they ended up divorced.

About four or five years ago, he remarried her. I said, "Dude, if you're happy, I'm happy for you, but are you sure? I mean, really sure? Because I remember how she treated you before." They're still married, but the few times I've seen them out, if she wants to go, he has to go. It's just kind of weird to watch.

Whew! Poor guy. I've dodged a few bullets myself. I've seen too many of my friends be miserable for years (men and women) that went thru nasty divorces and the kids were always stuck in the middle. Luckily for everybody involved, I never had any kids with mine.

I too had a bad habit of picking the wackos in my younger days, they were more fun, and back then I liked living on the jagged edge.

But don't get it twisted...apparently I'm quite the handful myself, to hear them tell it anyway. I call BS.

I think the two of the stupidest ones for me both came early in my life, seems like a different life in retrospect.

One was not taking the best advice I ever received. I was a junior in high school and my advanced chem teacher was a friend of the family (my sister and her daughter were BFF's). During that junior year, I was completing all remaining science and math courses available at my high school (in classes with all seniors, they hated me being there). One day my teacher takes me aside in class and says "Drop out of high school after this year, get your GED and go to college next year! There is nothing left for you here!". I laughed out loud and said "Are you kidding me, and miss my year here as a senior, and all the parties with my friends? No way!". I know for a fact my life would have turned out markedly different had I taken that advice. I don't regret it, as I think regret is a wasted emotion. I did learn from it and that is to me what really counts!

The other stupidest thing I did (IMO) is deciding, literally as a child, to never pursue a career in music (even though I was playing half a dozen instruments by the age of 7 or 8 years old). Between the payola scams, the artist rights stuff Zappa was going through, the message from the Central Scrutinizer, etc., I was convinced early in life that music was far too important to me to pursue a career in it! All I saw with choosing such a path was compromises and considering music is my religion, I was not going to compromise on that topic! To this day I believe that you can be one of the very best musicians in the world, and still have to hold down another job because it is not great musicianship that the corporations are looking for, they are looking for those that appeal most to the lowest common denominator (good beat, easy to dance to, I'll give it a 94). So why do I think this was stupid? Because I let my perception of their system dictate a major life choice. I am fairly certain had I chosen such a path, I would have either been a starving dejected musician (most likely) or dead from an overdose or stupidity had I achieved success, so probably for the best. I certainly enjoy my current life! Either way, I learned my lesson there as well!

OK here's one...
Must have been at least 10 years ago.
We were playing a gig. My main was a 305, and my backup was a SE ONE.
About 3/4 of the way through a song we'd played hundreds of times I blow a string. The 305 trem hated that and the whole guitar went out of tune, which for a rhythm guitar part was a disaster.
Instantly my mind says OK I have a tuned up backup! Then I realized it had no strap.:rolleyes:
Swapping straps on those huge buttons made me freeze on stage like an idiot.
The band kept playing anyway, and after what seemed like an eternity I woke up, swapped straps like a madman and jumped back in and finished it.
Funnily enough, the crowd loved it. Yeesh...
Lesson... put a strap on your backup dumb@ss!

Back