I'm one of those people now...NGD

Congrats on both of those they look great! Don't worry too much about having two of the same guitars, esp if you're going to mid one (sorry but I can't be any help on that either). I have 2 CU24s; one is stock and the other is a 35th anniversary - I justified the latter on the basis that the switching on the 35th gives me more options, and the pickups are tuned differently (TCId) etc etc, well that's what I tell myself anyway..... .

Enjoy.
Thanks. And I totally get it. ;)

If you have suggestions to "upgrade" my S2 to "core type" especially when I comes to electronics, since I know NOTHING about it, please let me know. Unless the electronics are up to par with the core? Can they be improved?
The pots, switch and wiring are all the same as used on the Core's, so the only difference in electronics would be the pickups themselves. S2 Thinline has 58/15-S pickups (made overseas). Closest equivalent to PRS Core that you can buy would be the 58/15-LT, although those are spec'd slightly differently than the "S", they have fewer turns of wire, resulting in a lower-output and somewhat warmer sound.

I have a Thinline, and am perfectly happy with the S pickups that it came with (FWIW), and upgrading to the LT's would cost around $500. Of course there are a ton of other brands that folks love that would cost you less, but you specified PRS Core standards...

The pots, switch and wiring are all the same as used on the Core's, so the only difference in electronics would be the pickups themselves. S2 Thinline has 58/15-S pickups (made overseas). Closest equivalent to PRS Core that you can buy would be the 58/15-LT, although those are spec'd slightly differently than the "S", they have fewer turns of wire, resulting in a lower-output and somewhat warmer sound.

I have a Thinline, and am perfectly happy with the S pickups that it came with (FWIW), and upgrading to the LT's would cost around $500. Of course there are a ton of other brands that folks love that would cost you less, but you specified PRS Core standards...
Thanks! Yes, I knew about the pickups and I guess I meant any ideas for any types of "improvements" even if adding third party parts. Yes, the guitar is GREAT the way it is. And at this point, the only thing I would change is the pickups and fret wire so far.

I see you have the same sickness I've got. I'm helpless against the draw of a good S2 594!

I would love to have both of those!
Totally lol, this neck is probably the best I've played! Don't get me wrong, I love and can play all my PRS guitars, but this one just fits my short stature best I guess. It would be PERFECT if the width of the neck was closer to 1.64-1.65.

The pots and switch aren't the same as core. They are the weakest link on the S2. More so than the pickups IMHO. I personally like the 5815s pickups in the thinline. Though I'd probably change them cause this tweaker can't leave well enough alone..

The pots and switch aren't the same as core. They are the weakest link on the S2. More so than the pickups IMHO. I personally like the 5815s pickups in the thinline. Though I'd probably change them cause this tweaker can't leave well enough alone..
I have noticed the switch on my Vela is going out maybe? I switched it to the neck pickup and no sounds, then fiddled with it and it came on.

I have noticed the switch on my Vela is going out maybe? I switched it to the neck pickup and no sounds, then fiddled with it and it came on.
Same issue with my Vela, volume pot gets wonky too. Known issues but luckily easily fixed. Detoxit helps but it returns. I have core parts to swap in when I get a chance along with a core Starla pickup for the bridge.

Thankfully the Vela is an awesome guitar in every other way.

Same issue with my Vela, volume pot gets wonky too. Known issues but luckily easily fixed. Detoxit helps but it returns. I have core parts to swap in when I get a chance along with a core Starla pickup for the bridge.

Thankfully the Vela is an awesome guitar in every other way.
LOL, easy fix for some. I'd have to take it to a tech and trust they know what they are doing.

It's a direct swap unlike swapping in pickups with different wires. It's really not too difficult. Give it a shot and you might surprise yourself..
Plug and play? Because that's probably all I'd be able to do. LOL

Plug and play? Because that's probably all I'd be able to do. LOL
There you go! Yes, plug and play. Pick up a decent soldering iron and give it a shot. Vela has a pickguard so you wouldn't have to work with a cramped cavity.

Man, believe me I was there once too. Now it's easy, and I can do this stuff while having a conversation in no time flat.

Back