I'm just here for the likes

It’s all good. The Standard has a kinda fabulous midshipmen vibe going on with the blue and gold, which is cool for an Annapolis made guitar.

I was told it was a "Special", when I bought it, but then again my sales guy didn't seem to be the most knowledgeable about the PRSi.

SPECIAL: 1988 - 1991. Developed for the ‘hard rock/metal player’, wide-thin neck, trem-up routing for a full tone up, volume and tone controls with 5 way rotary, HFS Treble pickup, PRS single coil in middle, HFS Bass pickup (changed to Vintage Bass humbucker by 1989).

But that description says the Special has a middle pickup, curious.

Hey, found the guitar I was trying to buy at the time! https://reverb.com/item/12602099-vintage-paul-reed-smith-standard-24-1988-multi-foil-blue

I just found the receipt, and it says it was a Special, <shrug>

It is indeed abalam. I asked Shawn about it one time. He said, “It abalam, abalam ya ding dong. Just like the Otis Day and the Knights song.”

Nah, it’s a Neil Young song.

“Abalam,
you’ve got the weight on your shoulders
that’s breaking your back.
Your Cadillac
Has got a wheel in the ditch and
A wheel on the track...

My second one.

It took me 15 years to eventually be able to buy another. I had actually wanted one for a while, but didn't feel like I could justify spending that much money on a guitar.

I tried buying a much cheaper Ibanez instead, didn't work out, had to sell it and get this anyway.

This was my first Maple top one, got it at Gelb Music in Redwood City. I thought it was expensive at the time, but it seems cheap compared to what they go for now

D4pkNWsU4AAfiOk

It's an 06 Custom 22 with a "10" top, never really thought it was a 10, personally. Has a black painted back, which I'm not into these days. Actually probably my least favorite at the moment, but it gave me a special appreciation for 22 fret stop tailpiece models.

I made this copper backplate and put it on, thinking it would help with the noise .. it didn't really, but I left it on anyway.

D4pkNWtUwAEKua2

I really like the non-outline birds they used to put on the instruments.
D4pkNXKU0AA1cSg

I really should have waited for better light.

D4pkNXJUEAEqUgS
Long live Gelb!!! I bought my first two basses and first amp from Gelb way back in the high school days. You made out with some treasures! Thanks for sharing.

I was told it was a "Special", when I bought it, but then again my sales guy didn't seem to be the most knowledgeable about the PRSi.

But that description says the Special has a middle pickup, curious.

Hey, found the guitar I was trying to buy at the time! https://reverb.com/item/12602099-vintage-paul-reed-smith-standard-24-1988-multi-foil-blue

I just found the receipt, and it says it was a Special, <shrug>

Oh, my mistake! Yeah, it’s totally a Special, for some reason I thought those came with the Single Coil Bass (albeit still in humbucker form) pickup in the neck position.. No matter, it’s a very, very cool guitar.

Oh, my mistake! Yeah, it’s totally a Special, for some reason I thought those came with the Single Coil Bass (albeit still in humbucker form) pickup in the neck position.. No matter, it’s a very, very cool guitar.

Thank you! You are too kind. Also "fabulous midshipman" is an amazing description!

It is indeed abalam. I asked Shawn about it one time. He said, “It abalam, abalam ya ding dong. Just like the Otis Day and the Knights song.”

I was thinkin more Ram-Jam...."wooaahh Black Betty abalam...wwooo...no wait....

Nah, it’s a Neil Young song.

“Abalam,
you’ve got the weight on your shoulders
that’s breaking your back.
Your Cadillac
Has got a wheel in the ditch and
A wheel on the track...

Sweet home Abalam-a
Where the skies are so blue
Sweet home Abalam-a
Lord, I'm coming home to you

Good choice! If that falls through, this should be your back up plan.
https://reverb.com/item/19493820-paul-reed-smith-paul-s-dirty-100-black-gold-2009

Simply sublime guitars. I foolishly sold the one I had. Two months later I found another one to replace it. This one won't be going anywhere.
Modern Eagle is gone.

It would be a close call for me between the ME1 and the Dirty 100. It’s good to have one of each. With a bullet to my head, I’d probably go Dirty for even money. Add a Westie and you really don’t need anything else. One of each is in my music room cabinet, alone with the guest of the moment.

Modern Eagle is gone.

It would be a close call for me between the ME1 and the Dirty 100. It’s good to have one of each. With a bullet to my head, I’d probably go Dirty for even money. Add a Westie and you really don’t need anything else. One of each is in my music room cabinet, alone with the guest of the moment.

Couldn't agree more with your take on the Dirty and the Westie. I've seen the errors of my ways.

Back