I'm just here for the likes

Black Plaid

Other Alan!
Seeing as there wasn't a proper PS Friday post, and ya'll seem like a splendid bunch, I thought I'd share my collection of joy and their stories.

As I am wont to be verbose, feel free to skip the exposition.

First off, my one and only for years and years. As I mentioned in my intro post, I ordered it from Chuck Levin's back in 1990, and while it wasn't quite what I thought it was going to be, it's never let me down.

I had seen the first generation foil finishes in the shop, but by the time I went back to order one, they were no longer there. I tried to describe the finish to the sales person, but they kinda just said, 'Oh, that's metal flake'

So I got this PRS Special, an all mahogany, HFS/Vintage, rosewood board, 24 fret, wide-thin neck, Trem up-route shred machine:

D4pjnIpUwAAqpuG

"Gold hardware", I thought, "that's a great idea!"

D4pjnIpU8AAiC_q

Why, Paul, why did you take so long to fix the tuner attachment problem? The D/G tuners never would fit to gather correctly. I've seen this on a LOT of these.

D4pjnInUwAA2OnS

Hard to see, but it says "Bob" in there, who's Bob? I hope he's still there and sees this pic and know I think of him every time I change strings. Also, do they still write the SN in the trem area? My other trem PRS doesn't have this.

D4pjnIpU4AA8dCz

Last edited:
My second one.

It took me 15 years to eventually be able to buy another. I had actually wanted one for a while, but didn't feel like I could justify spending that much money on a guitar.

I tried buying a much cheaper Ibanez instead, didn't work out, had to sell it and get this anyway.

This was my first Maple top one, got it at Gelb Music in Redwood City. I thought it was expensive at the time, but it seems cheap compared to what they go for now

D4pkNWsU4AAfiOk

It's an 06 Custom 22 with a "10" top, never really thought it was a 10, personally. Has a black painted back, which I'm not into these days. Actually probably my least favorite at the moment, but it gave me a special appreciation for 22 fret stop tailpiece models.

I made this copper backplate and put it on, thinking it would help with the noise .. it didn't really, but I left it on anyway.

D4pkNWtUwAEKua2

I really like the non-outline birds they used to put on the instruments.
D4pkNXKU0AA1cSg

I really should have waited for better light.

D4pkNXJUEAEqUgS

The Rosewood neck McCarty

My local guitar shop, River City Guitars, gets PRS in every so often. I picked this one up, like I do all of them, and the neck spoke to me. It told me things. I was unable to resist.

D4pkcKgUUAAbnzf

My first natural finish back! I love the look of the one piece mahogany. This one seems to have the burst on the back as well.

D4pkcPQUEAEI-Ud

I'm actually not a fan of the color, at all. It's a beautiful piece of wood though. I've seriously considered getting it refinished. Don't hate me.

D4pkcL2UEAAT2S-

I'm kinda bummed that they are doing this plastic outline on the birds these days, kind feels like they are cheating out on the shell, but maybe that's just me, it's not actually shell any more, is it?

D4pkcPMUUAM57xH

In every way though, this guitar is wonderful to play.

This one isn't mine.

I'm, umm ... holding it for a friend.

This one came from Righteous Guitars, they had done a run of a couple of custom colors I am guessing. It's a CE 24.

D4pkr76UIAA7D1V

D4pkr41UUAAI4Ix

I feel like perhaps they should have just stuck with moons instead of plastic birds for the CE line.

D4pkr6aUwAIBiG1

What even are these tuners?

D4pkr7wVUAAjEpX

The #1

For obvious reasons, this is my go to.

My local pusher had this one in. They had it in the case behind the counter, literally waiting for me to walk in. Which I do every Saturday.

D4pk1WMU0AAGl-f

I fell in love.

D4pk1XnU4AIUZK6

It has this unbelievably smooth rosewood neck. Even the back of the guitar has a bit of figure. This is the only guitar I own that I have no complaints about.

D4pk1XTUYAAy__K

I love this figure, it's not flame, it's not quilt, it's just a cool curl, I think it has tons of character. I thought I would only like stop bridges before I got this, but this sounds fantastic even acoustically. Better than my others. Maybe that's my eyes talking, but ... dang.

D4pk1X3U4AAMCsc

The inlays are white gold, and they are etched. Tried to take some detail photos of that. Not really succeeding.

D4plBpCU0AArr61

Another attempt.

D4plBqkUIAAGIIF

Thanks for joining me on the tour. Please ask if you have any questions, or let me know if there are any angles you think I should add for the photos!

Back