I'm feeling dirty...

Solved...

8btl9FY.jpg
For some reason I think of MASH when I see this :)

Did more testing today...

Today, having the lights off made a huge improvement, which hasn’t happened before? Lunar cycle plus weather at play?!?! Weird, wild stuff!

We believe the culprit is the circuit the dimmer is on. It’s a 3 way connected to a 4 switch wall plate by the front door next to my office that has an Intermatic timer for our exterior lights in the front plus a different, older dimmer switch the prior owner installed to control exterior lights in the garage. The 4th switch is a simple on/off for an exterior light to my office room.

On the back exterior of the house, this seller had 3 more of these dimmers. Apparently they were controlled via a RF hub from the manufacturer which he took with him! So all 4 of these, though on different circuits, are still connected to each other via RF!

We believe this is what’s boosting the noise from the dimmer we added. I moved my rig to the kitchen since we have the same all in one LED fixtures in the ceiling there on a circuit with 2 digital dimmers (which in my office caused worse noise than the current analog dimmer). With dimmers off, zero noise. Both dimmers on, very slight noise, but drastically lower than in my office. Slight level of noise gate cured it without altering tone / dynamics.

if I kept my gear in the kitchen, certainly would be easier to get a snack and a drink while playing. :p

. . . if I kept my gear in the kitchen, certainly would be easier to get a snack and a drink while playing. :p
Servin' up some tasty licks in the kitchen!

. . . about the only thing you can do that's practical is put shielding in the guitar's control cavity . . .
I have the copper tape to do this for my MM Stingray (not EMI/RFI related though). Apparently a lot of people have a problem with buzz from the Stingray and it is because the pickups and cavity area are not shielded/properly grounded from factory. Touching the strings does not stop the buzz, but touching any other metal part on the bass does. Waiting for somebody to add some extra hours to the day so I can take care of this!!!

Sounds like you have found the culprit though @WA Paul , hope you are able to resolve!

Today, having the lights off made a huge improvement, which hasn’t happened before? Lunar cycle plus weather at play?!?! Weird, wild stuff!

We believe the culprit is the circuit the dimmer is on. It’s a 3 way connected to a 4 switch wall plate by the front door next to my office that has an Intermatic timer for our exterior lights in the front plus a different, older dimmer switch the prior owner installed to control exterior lights in the garage. The 4th switch is a simple on/off for an exterior light to my office room.

On the back exterior of the house, this seller had 3 more of these dimmers. Apparently they were controlled via a RF hub from the manufacturer which he took with him! So all 4 of these, though on different circuits, are still connected to each other via RF!

We believe this is what’s boosting the noise from the dimmer we added. I moved my rig to the kitchen since we have the same all in one LED fixtures in the ceiling there on a circuit with 2 digital dimmers (which in my office caused worse noise than the current analog dimmer). With dimmers off, zero noise. Both dimmers on, very slight noise, but drastically lower than in my office. Slight level of noise gate cured it without altering tone / dynamics.

if I kept my gear in the kitchen, certainly would be easier to get a snack and a drink while playing. :p
Sounds like a good plan to me!

I should have thought of a dimmer!

Yes, they're notorious for generating RFI/EMI problems in pickups, and sometimes even in wiring. You can buy special dimmers that won't do that; they're often used in office conference rooms and studios. You can also buy things from more typical home dimmer makers like Lutron that may reduce the problem:

https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/360484.pdf

If you want to get more sophisticated, and avoid the RFI generator like studios that are far nicer than mine do it, here's a good article by a knowledgeable studio guy and recording engineer named Ethan Winer. Ethan was also the founder of RealTraps acoustical treatment, one of the better suppliers of bass traps, diffusers, and RFZ absorbers. I use his bass traps and RFZ absorbers in my studio.

https://ethanwiner.com/dimmers.html

I should have thought of a dimmer!

Yes, they're notorious for generating RFI/EMI problems in pickups, and sometimes even in wiring. You can buy special dimmers that won't do that; they're often used in office conference rooms and studios. You can also buy things from more typical home dimmer makers like Lutron that may reduce the problem:

https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/360484.pdf

If you want to get more sophisticated, and avoid the RFI generator like studios that are far nicer than mine do it, here's a good article by a knowledgeable studio guy and recording engineer named Ethan Winer. Ethan was also the founder of RealTraps acoustical treatment, one of the better suppliers of bass traps, diffusers, and RFZ absorbers. I use his bass traps and RFZ absorbers in my studio.

https://ethanwiner.com/dimmers.html
Thank you Les! We were going to try the LDC from Lutron but it was massive in size requiring more ‘drywall damage’ plus a rather ugly wall plate. We already had the room fully repaired and painted from the mold/wood rot issue.

The Ethan Winer article is terrific - definitely going to look into those links at Mouser.

Thank you Les! We were going to try the LDC from Lutron but it was massive in size requiring more ‘drywall damage’ plus a rather ugly wall plate. We already had the room fully repaired and painted from the mold/wood rot issue.

The Ethan Winer article is terrific - definitely going to look into those links at Mouser.

Have I got a wall plate for you...

It comes in several different finishes, and I have no idea if it works with the Mouser or other systems, but this is pretty darn nice looking!

https://www.busterandpunch.com/us/shop/electricity/dimmer-switches/dimmer-premium-1g-steel/

I like the black one.

https://www.busterandpunch.com/us/shop/electricity/dimmer-switches/dimmer-premium-1g-dimmer-black/

It comes in several different finishes, and I have no idea if it works with the Mouser or other systems, but this is pretty darn nice looking!

https://www.busterandpunch.com/us/shop/electricity/dimmer-switches/dimmer-premium-1g-steel/

I like the black one.

https://www.busterandpunch.com/us/shop/electricity/dimmer-switches/dimmer-premium-1g-dimmer-black/

Now if it came in black chrome (Ruthenium) I could get on board with that.;)

I like the black one.

Dangit Les, I don't need to be seeing this site right now. I have to save up for a Forum Guitar!

Had to take a break from conducting more research on the noise for a few days - ended up in the ER Wed night with bad abdominal pain. Turns out I have diverticulitis - yet another thing I don’t recommend. Doesn’t go well with my vestibular migraine condition either! :mad: Antibiotics appear to be helping but still a decent amount of pain.

Started to fell better, so the missus helped me isolate different circuits and wall switches in the house. With EVERY dimmer off in our kitchen, foyer, family room, office - NO NOISE! Those dang Lutron Maestros are terrible noise makers! The analog Diva series seems to work better, but hit or miss what causes noise.

Weird, wacky stuff part two - Maestro dimmers closest to my office do not cause any noise, but the ones a little further away do! This is likely why when my electrician tried a normal switch in the office it was still loud - our kitchen dimmers and LEDs were on. So we’re going to go back to regular switches and take out 4 dimmers causing the noise.

Also learned my office (except for my new circuit for my guitar gear) is on the same circuit as our powder bath and part of our kitchen lights. Not a great wiring job by the seller who did a big renovation back in 2004. Ugh, what other gifts will we find? Keep hoping he buried gold and not just sprinkler irrigation boxes in the yard, but no dice so far! :)

Last edited:
Had to take a break from conducting more research on the noise for a few days - ended up in the ER Wed night with bad abdominal pain. Turns out I have diverticulitis - yet another thing I don’t recommend. Doesn’t go well with my vestibular migraine condition either! :mad: Antibiotics appear to be helping but still a decent amount of pain.

Started to fell better, so the missus helped me isolate different circuits and wall switches in the house. With EVERY dimmer off in our kitchen, foyer, family room, office - NO NOISE! Those dang Lutron Maestros are terrible noise makers! The analog Diva series seems to work better, but hit or miss what causes noise.

Weird, wacky stuff part two - Maestro dimmers closest to my office do not cause any noise, but the ones a little further away do! This is likely why when my electrician tried a normal switch in the office it was still loud - our kitchen dimmers and LEDs were on. So we’re going to go back to regular switches and take out 4 dimmers causing the noise.

Also learned my office (except for my new circuit for my guitar gear) is on the same circuit as our powder bath and part of our kitchen lights. Not a great wiring job by the seller who did a big renovation back in 2004. Ugh, what other gifts will we find? Keep hoping he buried golf and not just sprinkler irrigation boxes in the yard, but no dice so far! :)
:(
Sorry to hear of the diagnosis.
Best of luck mate

Also learned my office (except for my new circuit for my guitar gear) is on the same circuit as our powder bath and part of our kitchen lights. Not a great wiring job by the seller who did a big renovation back in 2004. Ugh, what other gifts will we find? Keep hoping he buried golf and not just sprinkler irrigation boxes in the yard, but no dice so far! :)
Booo hisss on the ER visit! Hope you kick it's ass along with the hum!

Sorry to hear about the illness, but happy to read a good report that has diagnosed the line noise. Have a sit, a tall cold drink of ice water will help you feel better following a day of heat and restoration. Be careful with the circuit breaker and take it slow. Nothing says fried fingers more than rushing through a job. Best wishes, now that you know what and how, the simple answer is when and how much time invested. :)

Sorry to hear about the illness, but happy to read a good report that has diagnosed the line noise. Have a sit, a tall cold drink of ice water will help you feel better following a day of heat and restoration. Be careful with the circuit breaker and take it slow. Nothing says fried fingers more than rushing through a job. Best wishes, now that you know what and how, the simple answer is when and how much time invested. :)

My electrician will be back out next week, he’ll do all the switch swapping :)

Also learned my office (except for my new circuit for my guitar gear) is on the same circuit as our powder bath and part of our kitchen lights. Not a great wiring job by the seller who did a big renovation back in 2004. Ugh, what other gifts will we find? Keep hoping he buried gold and not just sprinkler irrigation boxes in the yard, but no dice so far! :)
Ugh, I’ve been down the diver road. Sucks! If your Dr tells you to avoid things like nuts and corn, don’t listen.

Back