I'm Done

Not that I visit many forums, although I am a member of a few, but this is about as lucid and level headed a membership as I've ever experienced. I always think of it as the 'kinder, gentler' forum. I'd give it more of a chance.

Would you stay if PRS were willing to throw you a 3 day party? I checked my calendar and I'm free September 19-21st so I took the liberty of calling Paul and had him arrange a small gathering in your honor. Now you have to stay on the forum. At least until after your party. It would be rude to leave now.

I would leave because of the way the mods lock down a thread quicker than any forum I've ever seen before I would leave due to a disconnection among the other members ...just sayin'

I would leave because of the way the mods lock down a thread quicker than any forum I've ever seen before I would leave due to a disconnection among the other members ...just sayin'

I haven't seen any thread locked that wasn't teetering on the edge. Perhaps the difference between this forum and others you may belong to is that this one is hosted by a company which necessarily has an image and reputation to protect.

Not sure what you mean by that?

I've seen very few threads locked down and those that have - as Ruger pointed out - have had very good reasons.

This is by far and away one of the most friendly forums on the internet and it's maintained that all through it's growth over the past year. Pretty good going I'd say!

It'd be nice if we can remain 'smarter than your average bear'! :)

Thank you for noticing.

We work pretty hard to stay on top of the discussion(s) on this forum. When people go off-topic, we usually just make a polite request and that's the end of it. But... sometimes people are just unable to follow the rules or "let it go" when off-topic issues are posted and we have to take the next step.

HEY WISHICOULDPLAY

You can't take this forum too seriously......but seriously. Smell the roses and enjoy life. Also, no one is telling you you can't tell it like it is. However, no one is stopping anyone else from telling you how it is....that's the nature of forums. I'm on the same side of 55 as you are....but I feel like I'm 25. Hope you stick around but it's your choice.

I haven't seen any thread locked that wasn't teetering on the edge. Perhaps the difference between this forum and others you may belong to is that this one is hosted by a company which necessarily has an image and reputation to protect.

Somebody started a gun thread, and guys were posting pics ...there wasn't even much discussion, and it got locked down. Look it up and you tell me if locking that thread down was merited? Then also someone started a thread saying it would be nice to see some US guitar companies bring in models that were comparable in price to the Korean/SE models, and that got locked down, too. Neither thread had any kind of arguments or hostile discussion or anything. I didn't see the need for locking them down. I'm fairly new and to see two threads that caught my eye get locked down so fast to me seems like the mods are a lot more controlling than other forums I'm a member of. One of my other forums I frequent is a USA knife manufacturing forum where the owners and their spouse(s) and employees are active members and they definitely are there to protect their image and reputation, so no - there's no difference there.

Somebody started a gun thread, and guys were posting pics ...there wasn't even much discussion, and it got locked down. Look it up and you tell me if locking that thread down was merited? Then also someone started a thread saying it would be nice to see some US guitar companies bring in models that were comparable in price to the Korean/SE models, and that got locked down, too. Neither thread had any kind of arguments or hostile discussion or anything. I didn't see the need for locking them down. I'm fairly new and to see two threads that caught my eye get locked down so fast to me seems like the mods are a lot more controlling than other forums I'm a member of. One of my other forums I frequent is a USA knife manufacturing forum where the owners and their spouse(s) and employees are active members and they definitely are there to protect their image and reputation, so no - there's no difference there.

People come here because they want to talk about guitars and gear and music and bands and occasionally what their favorite movies are or what they did over the weekend. There are other places to discuss politically charged topics such as guns, abortion, voting rights, foreign policy and the like. But this isn’t the place. People want to come here and have some fun and interesting discussion, they aren’t looking to defend their beliefs or listen to others try to defend theirs. Some other forums are open to this type of discussion (most are not) but I find the “anything goes” type of forums don’t have a lot of members. Maybe it’s because of the lack of decorum or maybe not? Either way, we started this place to have fun and we’re trying to keep it on track, so post some pics of your favorite PRS or post a link to the gig your band just played. Have fun, relax, enjoy.

Stick around dude. You don't have to post everyday. You also don't have to be an authority on all things PRS or even gtrs in general. We're just good folks talkin' about gtrs & stuff. Sometimes its good to step away for a break. I'm almost 50 and playing & Talking gtr makes me feel 16 again. I hope you change your mind.

People come here because they want to talk about guitars and gear and music and bands and occasionally what their favorite movies are or what they did over the weekend. There are other places to discuss politically charged topics such as guns, abortion, voting rights, foreign policy and the like. But this isn’t the place. People want to come here and have some fun and interesting discussion, they aren’t looking to defend their beliefs or listen to others try to defend theirs. Some other forums are open to this type of discussion (most are not) but I find the “anything goes” type of forums don’t have a lot of members. Maybe it’s because of the lack of decorum or maybe not? Either way, we started this place to have fun and we’re trying to keep it on track, so post some pics of your favorite PRS or post a link to the gig your band just played. Have fun, relax, enjoy.

Shawn - I thank you for that! :top: I come here for a "safe harbor" from the rest of the world. Our own little guitar "happy place"! :D

Last edited:
Shawn - I thank you for that! :top: I come here for a "safe harbor" from the rest of the world. Our own little guitar "happy place"! :D

In my time here I've only had one person really rub me the wrong way - even after an attempt to work it out - but rather than "start something" - I used a great feature of the forum, the "ignore poster" button - it turns off all posts from that user! ;) Mostly I just extend to others the courtesy others have extended to me. I just assume I must have misunderstood them in this less than perfect from of communication. ;)

+1 :top:

In my time here I've only had one person really rub me the wrong way - even after an attempt to work it out - but rather than "start something" - I used a great feature of the forum, the "ignore poster" button - it turns off all posts from that user! ;)

Well since you can't read this I'll admit to being the guy thats been stealing your newspaper all last year.

I've been moderating guitar forums for 13 years. This place is a paradise compared to some...

The Gun thread: Shawn felt it would get political. He's probably right. We used to allow gun discussions (the tool, not the politics) on the other forums I moderated. EVERY freakin' one of them turned political, despite warnings. Some folks were banned due their continued breaking of the "no politics" rule. Personally, I have no problem with those threads, as long as they stay apolitical. But, that -never- happens. I didn't mind the extra moderating work, but this is not my forum and those decisions are above my pay grade. I'll abide by Shawn's decisions...

The Non-PRS guitar thread: This is a PRS discussion board. Discussing the merits of competitors is frowned upon, and just plain rude...

As to any other locked thread, I can't think of any off the top of my head, that didn't turn ugly...

Jamie

I saw both threads and understand why both were locked. The gun thread just didn't fit this forum - at least not in the present climate. I have plenty to say about guns (I won't say on which side), but I agree that this just isn't the place. There are plenty of other places for that discussion. And I have to agree with the mods, I have never seen a discussion on guns stay apolitical.

The "Why Korea?" thread was a rant concerning class warfare and the morals of 'outsourcing' from the start, beginning with the original post - both political subjects. I warned against those leanings early in that thread.

No one should be surprised that the mods nipped both of those threads as inappropriate to this forum.

While I enjoy intelligent, non-emotional discussions on many things, I'm still glad that this forum is off limits for all things political and religious. That makes this forum a safe haven for me when I just want to have relaxing discussions with like-minded friends without having to worry if I am pissing someone off just for having an opinion.

I'm glad the extent of animosity here is that Sergio wants to paint Mike's guitars white and Mike wants to paint Sergio's guitars blue. And I also apologize to Rango in the event I'm the one he's ignoring....

Last edited:
Back