I'm Confused - Discontinued Amps?

I will admit that the other night when we decided an existing "complete" track for our next CD needed another crunchy guitar rhythm track, I went DI to Pro Tools from my Fly-Rig. It was easy and light weight, since I had the fly-rig in my gig bag with my guitar, vs going home to lug over a tube amp.

So I completely grok the use of "substitutes" in place of big, heavy, awesome-sounding tube amps.

Still love my tube amps though, especially the PRS ones!

My Tech 21 fly rig is the only other synthetic sound source I’ll use. I’ve been a Tech 21 amp user for years (light on the back, tons of analog transistor) sounds. If there are no stairs, it’s a 2 channel PRS amp for me.

I was thinking that they would be adding more amps this year, or updating the page, but based on these comments, the case can be made for just keeping around what sells. I think there's a MT-100 coming at some point, but that's the only one I know.

I was thinking that they would be adding more amps this year, or updating the page, but based on these comments, the case can be made for just keeping around what sells. I think there's a MT-100 coming at some point, but that's the only one I know.
Well, PRS typically doesn't release/announce all their new toys at once. Who knows what might be coming this Spring?

Well PRS just updates the site Les. It is still confusing. The JMOD is not listed but is clearly shown. If you click on it, it gives you all the specs. Ugh!

At the bottom of the page is a box to click for 2020 models. Completely different from what I just described above.

Well PRS just updates the site Les. It is still confusing. The JMOD is not listed but is clearly shown. If you click on it, it gives you all the specs. Ugh!

At the bottom of the page is a box to click for 2020 models. Completely different from what I just described above.

I'm not even seeing that! Maybe it's not showing up on my browser for some reason.

Oh well!

So it just occurred to me that PRS must have a LOT of confidence in their MT15 and the Sonzera 20 watt combo amps. They are the most recent amp releases (which I know they put a huge amount of effort into them) and would arguably be the result of a long evolutionary history of amp designs which came before.

But speaking of amp bias (pun intended) even though I know they put a lot of serious effort into the making of these amps, I personally don't like the idea of them being made in China. To me, that is the place where all the millions of counterfeit goods come from and not much else. Perhaps my concerns are totally unfounded, or maybe they are justified... knowing the manufacturing failure rate and the amp lifetime failure rates would be the only way to answer that question with any certainty. Perhaps I would be happier if they were made in Maryland and I paid a whole lot more money for them. Aside from my whole "country of origin" prejudice, they do seem to be REALLY good amps in all other respects and it seems to me that PRS thinks so too.

Back