I'm about to make a bad decision....

Gabod

I'm in need of help. I'm torn between buying a SG faded or a S2 satin. I'm leaning heavily towards the SG, even though I know it is probably the wrong choice. I have never been a Gibson fan, but I have always loved PRS. It's like some sort of evil GAS has a hold of me and I can't shake it.

Please talk some sense into me. I beg you.

SGs are nice, I have a 2012 '61 Reissue SG.
But...any of my PRS including my harem of SEs blow it away playability wise.

SGs have neck dive, major dive dive dive, just like a submarine escaping a depth charge.
I also find the neck width extremely narrow at the first fret.
Fretting any chords in the first three frets is much easier on any of my PRSi.

I'll be the odd man out regarding the SG playability. To me, the faded SG is bullet proof and the 490 series pickups are great for my tastes. Although the nut width is slightly less, unless you have monster hands, I just can't see it being an issue. I've never ever noticed it on any SGs, so it's a personal thing I guess. Anyway, having said all of that, I'd personally go with the S2. More range of tonal options.

Tough call then.. SG's are good guitars, the only guitar I regret selling was a white 3-knob Special I had when I was a kid.

Can you try 'em both out?

If the S2 satin had that same made out of your grandma's coffee table look that the SG faded does it wouldn't even be a question in my mind. I don't mean that as a knock against the S2 because they are fantastic looking guitars. The S2 is close though.

I came from the single coil side of things before playing PRSi. Our band went from 4 piece to 3 piece when the other guitar player left and we decided not to replace him. I decided to try a humbucker guitar to fill out the sound. Expected to get a SG, wanted one for the longest time prior to that... tried a whole bunch and couldn't find one I thought sounded good. Ended up buying a Custom 22 instead, and that was 10 years ago - still no SG either. There's now also a Mira though. :)

I would go S2 for the tuners, excellent nut work, fret work and rolled edges. You're stuck with the trem though, but that's easy enough to block if you want.

The S2 satins look pretty raw to me. The difference is you gave Grandma's coffee table to a better luthier. ;) The finish should gather a nice patina.

You're going to have to play both to see which you bond with the most.

I would go S2 for the tuners, excellent nut work, fret work and rolled edges. You're stuck with the trem though, but that's easy enough to block if you want.

The S2 satins look pretty raw to me. The difference is you gave Grandma's coffee table to a better luthier. ;) The finish should gather a nice patina.

You're going to have to play both to see which you bond with the most.
It's a different kind of raw, but you're dead on with the better luthier comment.

I haven't tried the S2 singlecut, but I have loved the balance, fit & finish, and neck on every PRS I've ever picked up. I've very nearly bought SGs numerous times. They have a lot of going for them: they sound amazing, have lightning-fast necks with full access to all the frets, but good gravy do their necks dive whenever you let go of it. The neck dive is what has always steered me to something else.

I would say try both out side by side, they're both guitars most GCs keep perma-stocked, and maybe also try a faded V if the S2 doesn't do it for you. The faded V has a lot of the same good attributes of the SG, similar tone but perhaps slightly Strattier, and it is perfectly balanced. Hard to play seated, granted, but standing up, wow, it just sits right where you want it, just like a Strat or Tele but much cooler-looking. Had one for several years a while back, back when they had the 498/500T ceramic bucker set.

I have to admit, SG's are fricken cool, as are a lot of Gibson designs. But, the shady QC of the G has kept me away from them.

Now, when it comes to the S2 Satin 22, I have to say, it's a fantastic guitar that I'm loving more and more every time I play it. Acoustically it's very full across the frequency spectrum, which carries over amplified, with a bit of mid emphasis via the pickups. Very punchy. The split tones are undoubtedly the best I've heard from a humbucker guitar. If I had to pick one guitar for a gig before knowing what genre it would be, I would grab the S2 Satin 22 every time. It doesn't necessarily sound like an SG, but it is a righteous sounding guitar.

I say go, play them both, and go for the one that you gravitate to. I don't think anyone would knock you if you fell for an SG. Just take the time to make sure you get a good one! Play it unplugged, make sure the strings don't sound like dead rubber bands, check for fretting out, play it for a while.

As it seems that you're more attracted by the look of the SG, rather than the sound/feeling, I would suggest to think twice before buying something you want to look and not to play.

BTW, I've only played one SG in my life, the weird Zoot Suit one, and it felt great. I'm not sure if that feeling would have lastrd over the years though.

Back