I'm about to make a bad decision....

I will take my S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow over my SG any day.
Plays much better, and both have been setup from my local PRS pusher.
The S2 just feels so much nicer.

10.jpg

If S2 is the market you are in, I say try the Mira and the SG. To me the Mira has the feel and sound that competes with the SG and then beats it at its own game.

I have a SG 2012 '61 Reissue as well. It's cool and as reported over and over its very neck heavy. Really odd balance. Often I find myself gripping the 15th fret assuming it's the 12th with the neck sticking out so much from the body. It takes some getting used to for sure. And if you want something different, the SG could well be exactly what you're looking for.

Great points! Gives me lots to think about.

Thanks for the responses.

Well this has taken a strange turn....

Edit - It appears the strangeness has been dealt with.

Last edited:
Yeah, I can. The problem is I know what will happen if I do.
It is probably just me, but I would never buy a Gibson (any model) unless I played it first. I have played too many Gibson's over the years that just did not work for me playablity wise. PRS is another story as I have no issues with playability on any of their guitars. Maybe it is just the size of my hands and fingers????

Well, I'm a new owner of an S2 Custom 24. Bought used from someone who rarely played it. I want to thank him or her for letting it go at such a low price. I am also a Fender and an Epi Les Paul player. That being said, I did my "research" before making my purchase, and my S2 has exceeded my expectations! My new workhorse. Know anyone who wants to purchase a used MexiStrat?

Who the hell buys based upon looks? :rolleyes::D Line up two, play them acoustically, then plugged in, then make a choice. Then look at them. Looks doesn't make a guitar sound any better.

While most every Gibson needs to be judged individually, last year, I ordered an SG Supreme. It came in with no fastening nut around the toggle switch, which also felt chinsy. Thank you Gibson QC!

I opened up the control pocket and it had the thinnest, cheapest small pots, wiring, and other parts I ever saw. The toggle switch was built into a plastic box arrangement. One of the dials was put on crooked. For $2,500, I was totally insulted by the workmanship, or lack of it.

Does anyone think an SG Faded is going to be as good, and I say that sarcastically.

The neck had big shoulders and felt like it was just pushed through. The neck did not feel as if anyone had spent enough time sanding, shaping, and finishing the profile enough. It also had a lot of neck dive.

Being a sucker, I felt that maybe I got a bad example, so I ordered a Derek Trucks SG. It was no better at all!

Sorry, but if I really, REALLY wanted an SG, I would get it from MF, play it for a month to determine if it was really the guitar I had in my head. If not, back it goes, and I would get the PRS.

Luckily, I have gotten immune to "needing" a Gibson. I'm truly looking forward to playing PRS guitars. My Vela is scheduled to be here tomorrow, and in 6 months, I'll have my PS 594.

I've ruled out an SG. I went and played a few over the weekend (including the faded) and it just wasn't for me. Thanks for the responses.

I've ruled out an SG. I went and played a few over the weekend (including the faded) and it just wasn't for me. Thanks for the responses.
So far so good. Now try the Mira...;)

Let me help you with your decision
DSC02252_zpsz5ehalu3.jpg

DSC02254_zpsz4y8ills.jpg

DSC02255_zpszlyhwm6g.jpg

DSC02247_zpshaerzlcn.jpg

DSC02246_zpsbzgi2cx3.jpg

DSC02239_zps8e07k1d1.jpg

DSC02244_zpsr2zan6qo.jpg
DSC02245_zpsxw9swwuo.jpg
DSC02240_zpsrbhhgvie.jpg

DSC02243_zpsuvvglp6e.jpg

DSC02260_zpsx9coj3d4.jpg

I held an S2 satin for a couple of minutes one time in our local GC, until someone took it from me and wanted to play it. Seeing as I was not buying that day, I did not want to make a big deal over it, and handed it over.

However, in the very short time I did hold it, I loved the neck feel, and the entire guitar. That satin finish was terrific.
I just ordered and am expecting today, a new Vela. Had these been satin, I might have gone for the satin finished Vela version. Alas, they do not make one....yet. ;) And please do not think that I know something the rest of you don't. At this time, I have not read that PRS is making a satin Vela.

I felt that after having owned some vintage 1963 SG's when they were brand new, that I might again have the bug for one. BOY!, are they built and feel different now then they used too! WOW! I felt that the new ones were a totally different guitar then I had owned and loved back then. They used to have the best feeling necks, but back in 1963 Gibson was kicking ass and taking names in a big way with their quality.

Glad you decided against the SG. I hope you find a great PRS that you bond with. :)

Back