I'm a Bad Person: I like new PRSi better!

drbob1

Over the years I've owned quite a few older (small heel) PRSi, from an 89 Birdseye thru a 93 Ed King. I've kept CD24 #3 and a 91 Cu24, but have been kind of on a tear recently: a 408, 523, McSoapy and DGT. It's between the 408 and the 513 for my favorites, but all of them suit my style easier than the older guitars: the frets are just too short! Plus I really like some of the interesting things Paul is doing with modern takes on pickups. I dunno, am I crazy?

Over the years I've owned quite a few older (small heel) PRSi, from an 89 Birdseye thru a 93 Ed King. I've kept CD24 #3 and a 91 Cu24, but have been kind of on a tear recently: a 408, 523, McSoapy and DGT. It's between the 408 and the 513 for my favorites, but all of them suit my style easier than the older guitars: the frets are just too short! Plus I really like some of the interesting things Paul is doing with modern takes on pickups. I dunno, am I crazy?

Not crazy at all. I like both!

The idea that "small heel" PRS guitars are universally better is fiction. And that's before we take individual preferences regarding things like fret height into account.

I went through a lot of PRSi. More or less 1990 to 1999. Eventually fell out of love with almost all of them.

Recently was persuaded to try newer ones. Sure glad I did. Not sure how much of it is "better" finishes, but I sure do love the pickups....57/08, 59/09, DGT, 408. And I am very much happier with the old HBII once I changes out the old Archtop pups. Not a real big fan of the look and feel of the larger heels, but I sure do like the end result----whether or not that is a major contributor.

I like the new ones because of the v12 and updated pickups .

I know I'm generalizing quite a bit, but for me, PRSi come in 3 generations. 85 - 2000ish were Gen 1. 2000 - 2010 were Gen 2 and after 2010 is Gen 3. I have guitars from Gen 1 and Gen 2 and I think they are both fantastic but different. I haven't owned a Gen 3 yet but I've played them and again, fantastic but different.

For me the rating order is:
Gen 2 (HFS, 57/08's)
Gen 1 (Dragon 1's, HFS)
Gen 3 so far. Maybe when I own one I'll change my mind, but I've tried a P22 and a Paul's, and while great, they didn't force me to buy them like my first Cu24 did. Admittedly, they have much stiffer competition than the Custom did. It was night and day then and they have to be super great to impress me now after resetting the baseline with the 2006 Custom 24.

Still all 3 are better than the other guys.

I feel the newer ones speak to a broader segment of the market, which is cool.

There's probably a lot of nostalgia clouding my view but there are things about the older ones that get me a little more excited... I dig the rotary, the one-piece trems, the old placement of the Santana knobs, the wings, the colors, moons, the mellowness of the top carve, the high output pups, mandatory 24 frets, and even the little script logo... My obsession started at a different time I suppose.

The new ones are cool though.

It would be cool to have a West St. guitar, just because....

But the newer instruments are so good, unless it's a steal, I want a recent model.

I've bought a lot of PRSes new and used, since 1991. For me, there's no contest. The 2011-present models are my favorites.

I feel the newer ones speak to a broader segment of the market, which is cool.

There's probably a lot of nostalgia clouding my view but there are things about the older ones that get me a little more excited... I dig the rotary, the one-piece trems, the old placement of the Santana knobs, the wings, the colors, moons, the mellowness of the top carve, the high output pups, mandatory 24 frets, and even the little script logo... My obsession started at a different time I suppose.

The new ones are cool though.
I agree on the nostalgia aspect. I've always been a sucker for the old school birds as well. No one else did anything like it back then. It is also my opinion that some of the newer 10 tops are a little less exciting than the old ones, maybe because of the high volume they produce now, they need to be a little more forgiving on what they consider a 10 top.

If the old ones were 'better' than the new ones, that wouldn't be very good business. ..

A trenchant observation!

As to the question of tops, in general I think the older ones were more dramatic. However, the dyeing and colors now hold a bit of an advantage. I'm not going to pay the price for it, but cosmetically something like a Custom 24 with quilted top, one of the new double dyed colors, flamed maple neck in matching color, neck binding, matching headstock veneer… That'd be a killer guitar. Just can't justify $5-10k for the cosmetics when I can own the 4 guitars I've bought this year for the same price.

Just can't justify $5-10k for the cosmetics when I can own the 4 guitars I've bought this year for the same price.

For mere cosmetics, not worth giving up four.

But if the guitar is a great one, I mean not only looks but has the perfect tone, I'd rather have that one outstanding guitar than even four very nice ones.

Good friend of mine has an 80s CU24 it is a GREAT GUITAR but I do love all of my newer ones :)

I tend to play my '92 CU24 more than my '98 HB II and 2010 SC Ted.

Right Sergio?

When it comes down to it, what is new vs. old? Take a CU 22 for example. Same guitar with a different plastic finish that does not seem any better to me, a different neck carve which I do not like as much, but better pups for sure. Are there other differences I am not aware of? New, I am a fan of the ME series for sure. All of them. I just know I would really dig the PJJ model as well. :) Old, I would still take a semi hollow artist series over any PRS ever made. (But I need to drop 57/08s in it, or Gibson 57 classics) :D

One of the good thing about new PRSi usually has greater tops, even non artist package.

However, for overall aesthetic I prefer old ones better, I am not too crazy about those 5 way blade switch and those new knobs on new PRSi.
Tho, those are easily to replace but I still like the old PRSi better.

This probably superficial but if it weren't the 5 way blade switch, I would have bought P22 long time ago.

I prefer the newer PRS guitars as well. That said, I'm not a V12 fan.

Last edited:
I like the new PRSi mainly due to the 2-piece bridge. My favorite bridge so far!

Back