If your guitar has travelled to get to you, you might need to check the neck.

PeteM

I recently bought an SS that was shipped across the country to my door. For the first week or so I was very frustrated not being able to get rid of fret buzz on my low E and A, especially near the nut. Had it set up and still the buzz. Not knowing what to do next I took the neck off to see if there were any shims, anything unusual. Nothing. And so I put the neck back on and ... the fret buzz is almost entirely gone. Nice strong, clean bass notes, as it should be! So I'm guessing the guitar was jostled a bit in transit...no hardshell for most models...and the neck was put just slightly out of alignment. Maybe the neckplate screws were a bit too tight or loose. I only tightened about a quarter turn after initial tightening. No need to be forceful. Sort of like a speaker, when you install a new one. Some will say your setup will be thrown off by taking off the neck, but I didn't have that problem. Be careful, of course, but if you've tried everything else, this may be a solution.

Every guitar would have been shipped to a dealer already, so really it’s double shipped in that regard. Both my Silver Sky’s have been champs from day 1, but every other bolt on I have/had required a little attention. And I bought all those in person.

I recommend that while tuned to pitch, loosen the neck bolts no more than 1/8 or 1/4 turn - the tension from the strings will then pop the neck into the right position. Retighten and enjoy.

Every guitar would have been shipped to a dealer already, so really it’s double shipped in that regard. Both my Silver Sky’s have been champs from day 1, but every other bolt on I have/had required a little attention. And I bought all those in person.

I recommend that while tuned to pitch, loosen the neck bolts no more than 1/8 or 1/4 turn - the tension from the strings will then pop the neck into the right position. Retighten and enjoy.
Makes sense...odd that I've never heard that suggestion before.

Makes sense...odd that I've never heard that suggestion before.

There’s really no harm in taking the neck off, either. Those 63/64 strats John Mayer used as references would have all had their truss rod access at the heel requiring removal or significant loosening of the neck to access. It’s all part of the bolt on fun!

I agree with the above. Loosen the screws just a bit with string tension and it will seat better into the body when you tighten it back up. It's a trick I learned from an old school tech on a build I was doing. Worked like a charm.

Back