If you think guitarists are crazy about gear, you should try...

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;33762 said:
I remember when I when I got my first full-suspension bike - an XTR loaded Joshua F-1 from Fisher. It was AWESOME right on down to the Chris King hubs and ceramic rims.

I started getting pinch flats like crazy because I would just barrel over big rocks and bad sections. A hardtail forces you to pick a line. A good line.

Man, this thread makes me wanna pull the bikes out of the rafters!!!

I know the feeling! I got a single-speed hard tail, just to work on my riding--instead of my rock bashing. The side benefit of the single-speed is that it takes you right back to being 10 years old and cruising on that BMX bike!

Hans, let me know if you pull the bikes down and want to get out for a little bit. I've got a 2 year old, so the last couple seasons have not seen much riding--my ass is growing in inverse proportion to my stamina, but still.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;33740 said:
I'm a lard ass these days.

Me too! I'm really blaming it on my wine addiction, talk about expensive! At the end of the night I have nothing but an empty bottle and a cork to show for it. I was always scary skinny and now I have the body type of a lump-in-the-middle power supply. I look like an anaconda that just ate a full grown dog, or a pregnant 13 year old, the weight is stuck in the middle portion of my body, I gotta do something! I have to get back on a skateboard, that's a fairly inexpensive hobby.

I have the body type of a lump-in-the-middle power supply. I look like an anaconda that just ate a full grown dog, or a pregnant 13 year old

better the pig in an anaconda look than the other power supply look - the wall wart. Just think what it would be like to have an excessively big head or monster feet.....

better the pig in an anaconda look than the other power supply look - the wall wart. Just think what it would be like to have an excessively big head or monster feet.....
:five:

I was gonna retort with a photo but... I think it may be time to put the "safe" search back on my browser.

Cycling is crazy with some of the new bikes that are coming out. Whats worse is that cycling leads to other "drugs" like triathlon which would mean another bike purchase plus all the stuff for the swim and run portion. I bought one of the best bikes I could afford 12 years ago when I bought a Klein Quantum Race and nothing that has come out has made me want to change. I got lucky, I have also had my Specialized Rockhopper for 13 years. I have been though about 25 guitars in that time.

Porsches...Scotch. Not at the same time, that would be irresponsible. ;) Endless options for modification, THEN you take it to the track. Now you need 3 spare wheel sets, a trailer, all the garb (in case you catch fire), wear-n-tear maintenance, improvements maintenance, then...then...then...all your spare time, all of your weekend traveling to track events...

...then the wife steps in. :eek:

Guitars are a drop in the bucket. Just like you can get addicted to crack wood, you can gain a preference for 18+ year old Scotches. At least when you get done enjoying a pernny neck-ed Paul's 28 variant you don't excrete it into the toilet an hour later.

Speaking of cars... old, air cooled, VW's have taken lots of my money. LOTS.

If I ever run across a clean '67 squareback, I'm going to build one just like this.

272069155_e188ce9449.jpg

Last edited:
You know, I think we're building a good case to show our significant others that guitar obsession really ain't so bad compared to the alternatives. :D

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;33967 said:

If I ever run across a clean '67 squareback, I'm going to build one just like this.

272069155_e188ce9449.jpg

never seen that before...that's pretty much a perfect looking car!

272069155_e188ce9449.jpg

I had a '74 Squareback for a while back in the day. Something blew up and I didn't have the money to fix it. I traded it to my mechanic in order to keep my '73 Super Beetle running.

I had a '74 Squareback for a while back in the day. Something blew up and I didn't have the money to fix it. I traded it to my mechanic in order to keep my '73 Super Beetle running.

I'll dig up pics of my last Vee Dub show car. It was a '70 beetle that I put early 356-style headlamps on with disk brakes, rag-top, and a chromed-out stroker with dial carbs. It was dumped to the ground with sport tires/wheels and heavy duty sway bars. That car was a monster.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;34010 said:
I'll dig up pics of my last Vee Dub show car. It was a '70 beetle that I put early 356-style headlamps on with disk brakes, rag-top, and a chromed-out stroker with dial carbs. It was dumped to the ground with sport tires/wheels and heavy duty sway bars. That car was a monster.

That sounds sweet, why did you get rid of it?

I'd love to find an old 914 if I could. I always liked those a lot.

272069155_e188ce9449.jpg
LMAO!! My mom used to drive me to kindergarden in one of those. It must have been a '67 or '68 considering it was probably late '68 or early '69. It was red, too. Dad drove a '67 T-bird at the time with suicide doors. THAT is a diverse vehicle family.

They're out there and usually pretty cheap because everyone has been worked on in one way or another. That 50/50 weight distribution is pretty cool when they get the 6 cylinder conversion. A buddy of mine had a killer green '71. Brutal on the skidpad but was constantly needing work done. One track weekend resulted in 2 weeks of work.

Fact is there are crazed enthusiasts in every single area of the world, and in every area of human stuff, who are all about their gear. Cars, cameras, motorcycles, guns, art, wine, food, bikes, clothing, jewelry, cigars, pens, coffee, camping equipment, rugs, antiques, coins, stamps...you name it, you'll find folks totally into it.

Go to a woodworking shop or forum, and you will find people arguing passionately over the best hammer or chisel. I'm serious!

People love their stuff!

Hawiian Kona, Jamaican Blue Mtn,.....Yes!!!

That sounds sweet, why did you get rid of it?
Because I was living and working downtown. I didn't drive it because I never had to - and because I had a motorcycle too. More pressingly, I didn't have a garage so it was a constant worry. I walked into Russ' old guitar shop with a wad of cash right after I sold it.

I left with my 1st PRS guitar. :cheers:

Especially a 914/6!

1973-porsche-914-6-cyl-targa-coupe-rhd.jpg

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;34019 said:
Because I was living and working downtown. I didn't drive it because I never had to - and because I had a motorcycle too. More pressingly, I didn't have a garage so it was a constant worry. I walked into Russ' old guitar shop with a wad of cash right after I sold it.

I left with my 1st PRS guitar. :cheers:

Especially a 914/6!

1973-porsche-914-6-cyl-targa-coupe-rhd.jpg

You'd certainly need a garage for that 914, because the targa top will leak like a sieve.

I still one it though!

Back