If you name them, how do you decide?

I always wanted a kid so I could name it Frankenstein, very gender neutral.

I named all three of my kids Frankenstein.

Though they were never happy about it. :p

I've only ever named two guitars, and I mainly did it to have a bit of humor on the forum, not for any serious purpose. The McCarty Singlecut is a.k.a., 'The Hammer Of The Gods'.

The Special Semi-Hollow, with its purple burst over a blue finish is a.k.a., 'The Gothic Special'. Because, blue and purple, goth girl hair coloration. It's a weird color combination that I'd probably not have been interested in, other than it was the PERFECT one in terms of tone and feel. Which counts for a lot. The name also amuses my son, who agrees it's a crazy color. Of course, he wants it when I kick the bucket.

Because it sounds great and plays great. OK, I'll admit that the color has grown on me... ;)

The rest shall remain nameless.

"What about Farquhar Pfeffner, your '65 SG Special?"

"You just made that up knowing it was a nom de plume when I was in high school, 1500 years ago."

"But it was a fun name. I should add, who the f$ck had a pen name in high school, you moron?"

Last edited:
I named all three of my kids Frankenstein.

Though they were never happy about it. :p

I've only ever named two guitars, and I mainly did it to have a bit of humor on the forum, not for any serious purpose. The McCarty Singlecut is a.k.a., 'The Hammer Of The Gods'.

The Special Semi-Hollow, with its purple burst over a blue finish is a.k.a., 'The Gothic Special'. Because, blue and purple, goth girl hair coloration. It's a weird color combination that I'd probably not have been interested in, other than it was the PERFECT one in terms of tone and feel. Which counts for a lot. The name also amuses my son, who agrees it's a crazy color. Of course, he wants it when I kick the bucket.

Because it sounds great and plays great. OK, I'll admit that the color has grown on me... ;)

The rest shall remain nameless.

"What about Farquhar Pfeffner, your '65 SG Special?"

"You just made that up knowing it was a nom de plume when I was in high school, 1500 years ago."

"But it was a fun name. I should add, who the f$ck had a pen name in high school, you moron?"
You did name one guitar “The Wizard” until…:p:D

Slightly off/on topic. I swore I was going to name next offspring "Kitchen". Fills all the boxes.

Never found a kitchen provider though that may be good...

Guitar names are usually the model name except one named China. She's a cheap Jay Turser from 2004 that makes my, and others, hair stand up because she sounds so good!

I always wanted a kid so I could name it Frankenstein, very gender neutral. I've always been a very forward thinking dude.:rolleyes: plus it's way cooler than names like "Apple" or "Pilot Inspecktor" okay...maybe not as cool as the last one, but cool none the less.
One of my Floydcasters is named Fronkensteen.

A few of mine have acquired names.
This one is called Magma:
i-ZFZX99J-XL.jpg

This one is called Bluegill:

i-Gdhd6Qt-XL.jpg

This old Hamer is called Lazarus, because it was stolen in a home burglary and I got it back 22 years later:

i-zLwF2xK-XL.jpg

A couple others have names, but you get the idea,

I used to feel it was pretty self-important (or at best, really corny) when I'd hear about players naming their instruments.
Then in '87 I encountered a very special PRS with so much personality that not to name her would've been almost an insult.
Within a few years, all my guitars had names.

Since then, any new acquisition gets a name once I get to know it well enough. I no longer consider that silly - they are individuals, after all.
Naming also helps with keeping them organized - after more than forty years as a pro musician, I've accumulated a decent sized fleet.
When there are a dozen Les Pauls, having a name for each according to its character goes a long way towards differentiating them in my mind.

Many of my guitars are named after things that fly, or air & space phenomena. A few for supernatural beings, mythical creatures, or fictional characters. Others simply for their tone or color (or sometimes both). And a couple are puns: my two Eko guitars are named Delta and Foxtrot.

After a couple of dozen gigs together, synergy with a guitar seems more natural and more profound. We begin to bring out the best in each other.
By then I've learned its strengths & weaknesses, and exactly how it interacts with my rig at volume.
In return, each one inspires - but they flavor my creativity in different ways. It seems perfectly natural to name them.

The good ones feel more like collaborators than mere tools.

This is Aquamarine Spitfire - nimble and aggressive.
So I named her after the Supermarine Spitfire of WWII.

Last edited:
Back