IF YOU COULD CREATE YOUR OWN GREATEST HITS ALBUM........

Interesting question. I had just been thinking about which Greatest Hits albums were actually satisfying (and feeling that most were not).

With that out of the way, I think it should be possible to get excellent compilations from:
Led Zepplin
Bachman Turner Overdrive
Joe Satriana
Jeff Beck

Jimi Hendrix
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Jeff Beck
Allman Brothers Band
Derek and the Dominos
Gov't Mule
Albert King
Freddie King
Buddy Guy
Rory Gallagher
Van Halen
The Beatles
Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
Jethro Tull
Gary Moore
GNR

by no means exhaustive...just on top for this moment...

heck....I could go on and on for days with this list of who should be at the top...and depending on when you ask me the list could look totally different.

Bob:
I was faced with the same dilemma when compiling my list. But the key for me was, if it were a two disc set and I had to list 25 songs that I would go "oh yeah" with each song, what bands would I choose? I actually almost added Billy Joel, Journey, Collective Soul, and Mr. Big, but I felt like those four listed above would be my favorite greatest hits albums if I could list the songs I wanted. If I get ambicious enough, I may list the songs for those four that I would include. I have WAY too much time on my hands! :rolleyes::creep:

Last edited:
I haven't had any hits, greatest or otherwise...:) but once I got treated like I had! About twenty years ago, I was playing in a club outside of Vacaville, CA, and the bandleader announced our names during the break song. As I got off the stage, a couple came up and said, "Wow--what are you doing here? We didn't know you played lead guitar--we love your songs and we have all your albums!" I was a bit nonplussed as I'd never seen them before, and I said, "Uhh--are you from the future??", as I've never recorded any albums, not as an artist anyway, although I've played on a few. See, my name is Jon Fine, and these folks heard "John Prine"! I told them I wasn't him, and it could have been a Roseanne Roseannadanna bit from Saturday Night Live--"Never mind...."
Oh, you mean my favorite artists? The short list would include Dick Dale, The Ventures, The Beatles, Cream, Jimi Hendrix, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Bad Company, Queen, Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, Danny Gatton, The Allman Bros., B. B. King, Buddy Guy, Django Reinhardt, k d lang, Brad Paisley, Vanilla Fudge, Jeff Beck, The Grateful Dead, Joe Ely, Dale Watson...and that's just for starters!

Oh, you mean my favorite artists?

I don't really mean favorite artists (although it could be the same). My question is, who has recorded 20 songs that are so good that you could listen and never grow tired of them? I could listen to the four bands I listed in the OP perform my 20 favorites of theirs, and not grow tired of listening to them.

Also, I tend to disagree with some selections on greatest hits compilations. As an example that comes to mind, "Following Rita" is a song that would be part of my Train's Greatest. It wasn't a single, and did not get significant air play.

Last edited:
Pink Floyd
Gary Moore
Dire Straits
Fleetwood Mac (Would have to be one each for the original and the Anglo-American versions)
GNR
Queen
Beatles
Hendrix
Joe Bonamassa
David Bowie (Thanks for the reminder Doc!)

Last edited:
Blue Oyster Cult
Neil Young (only with Crazy Horse)
AC/DC
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Beatles
David Bowie
Golden Earring

I left out Pink Floyd because their works are best suited to entire albums, so the greatest hits thing wouldn't work well for them, IMO

Blue Oyster Cult
Neil Young (only with Crazy Horse)
AC/DC
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Beatles
David Bowie
Golden Earring

I left out Pink Floyd because their works are best suited to entire albums, so the greatest hits thing wouldn't work well for them, IMO

Forgot about Bowie!!!

I agree about Floyd in a way... I actually do have a best of called Echoes but most of the songs need to be listened to in the context of the album. That said, I did create my own 'Best of Gilmour's solos'!

Forgot about Bowie!!!

I agree about Floyd in a way... I actually do have a best of called Echoes but most of the songs need to be listened to in the context of the album. That said, I did create my own 'Best of Gilmour's solos'!

Does that include "Seamus, the dog" from Meddle??? :D

They could make a compilation of all the albums Nile Rodgers played on and produced and I would be pretty happy.

Some interesting choices here. I'd be curious to see the list of 20 "greatest songs" from a couple of these.

If I could go back and change the thread title I would. I'd change "hits" to "songs."

Back