IF YOU COULD CREATE YOUR OWN GREATEST HITS ALBUM........

Discussion in 'Artists & Music' started by 11top, Apr 24, 2013.

1. 11top

11top Cousin Eddie's cousin

(Make that "albums") .......What bands would be on top?

I'd choose:

The Beatles
    Led Zepplin
    Train
    Van Halen

#1 11top, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  2. veinbuster

veinbuster Freeze zone

Interesting question. I had just been thinking about which Greatest Hits albums were actually satisfying (and feeling that most were not).

With that out of the way, I think it should be possible to get excellent compilations from:
    Led Zepplin
    Bachman Turner Overdrive
    Joe Satriana
    Jeff Beck

3. 11top

Bob:
    I was faced with the same dilemma when compiling my list. But the key for me was, if it were a two disc set and I had to list 25 songs that I would go "oh yeah" with each song, what bands would I choose? I actually almost added Billy Joel, Journey, Collective Soul, and Mr. Big, but I felt like those four listed above would be my favorite greatest hits albums if I could list the songs I wanted. If I get ambicious enough, I may list the songs for those four that I would include. I have WAY too much time on my hands! :rolleyes::creep:

#3 11top, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  4. phillybri

phillybri New Member

Queen
    Van Halen
    Toto
    Squeeze
    Rolling Stones
    Joe Satriani

5. jfine

jfine New Member

I haven't had any hits, greatest or otherwise...:) but once I got treated like I had! About twenty years ago, I was playing in a club outside of Vacaville, CA, and the bandleader announced our names during the break song. As I got off the stage, a couple came up and said, "Wow--what are you doing here? We didn't know you played lead guitar--we love your songs and we have all your albums!" I was a bit nonplussed as I'd never seen them before, and I said, "Uhh--are you from the future??", as I've never recorded any albums, not as an artist anyway, although I've played on a few. See, my name is Jon Fine, and these folks heard "John Prine"! I told them I wasn't him, and it could have been a Roseanne Roseannadanna bit from Saturday Night Live--"Never mind...."
    Oh, you mean my favorite artists? The short list would include Dick Dale, The Ventures, The Beatles, Cream, Jimi Hendrix, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Bad Company, Queen, Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, Danny Gatton, The Allman Bros., B. B. King, Buddy Guy, Django Reinhardt, k d lang, Brad Paisley, Vanilla Fudge, Jeff Beck, The Grateful Dead, Joe Ely, Dale Watson...and that's just for starters!

6. 11top

I don't really mean favorite artists (although it could be the same). My question is, who has recorded 20 songs that are so good that you could listen and never grow tired of them? I could listen to the four bands I listed in the OP perform my 20 favorites of theirs, and not grow tired of listening to them.

Also, I tend to disagree with some selections on greatest hits compilations. As an example that comes to mind, "Following Rita" is a song that would be part of my Train's Greatest. It wasn't a single, and did not get significant air play.

#6 11top, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  7. veinbuster

veinbuster Freeze zone

Isn't it nice that these days you can actually make your own greatest hits lists of anybody you want.

I think I want a Frank Zappa.

8. Mikegarveyblues

Mikegarveyblues Cream Crackered

Pink Floyd
    Gary Moore
    Dire Straits
    Fleetwood Mac (Would have to be one each for the original and the Anglo-American versions)
    GNR
    Queen
    Beatles
    Hendrix
    Joe Bonamassa
    David Bowie (Thanks for the reminder Doc!)

#8 Mikegarveyblues, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  9. docbennett

docbennett Banned

Blue Oyster Cult
    Neil Young (only with Crazy Horse)
    AC/DC
    Creedence Clearwater Revival
    Beatles
    David Bowie
    Golden Earring

I left out Pink Floyd because their works are best suited to entire albums, so the greatest hits thing wouldn't work well for them, IMO

10. Mikegarveyblues

Forgot about Bowie!!!

I agree about Floyd in a way... I actually do have a best of called Echoes but most of the songs need to be listened to in the context of the album. That said, I did create my own 'Best of Gilmour's solos'!

11. docbennett

docbennett Banned

Does that include "Seamus, the dog" from Meddle??? :D

12. Mikegarveyblues

Lol, anything but that! :)

13. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Get in, loser, we’re going shopping.

They could make a compilation of all the albums Nile Rodgers played on and produced and I would be pretty happy.

14. Mikegarveyblues

Now that would be a cool album!!!

15. docbennett

docbennett Banned

If we are looking at producers....Alan Parsons and Todd Rundgren would get my votes for greatest hits as well!!

16. 11top

Some interesting choices here. I'd be curious to see the list of 20 "greatest songs" from a couple of these.

If I could go back and change the thread title I would. I'd change "hits" to "songs."