If you could change one thing about a PRS you own, what would it be?

I haven't had my CE semi-hollow for long, but I love ALMOST everything about it. The one thing that bugs me (and I'm sure I'll eventually change the way I play to accommodate) is the placement of the volume knob. It does make it easier to play with the volume, but since I never had a guitar with one so close to all the action, I hit it all the time while strumming. If it was just another 2 inches or so down or towards the end, it would be perfect.
Exactly the same for me.
I've always found this annoying on Strat-like guitars. LPs are more ergonomic on this aspect, including switch's location.

Right now, my only disappointment with any of my PRS guitars is that my new Santana SE Singlecut binds at the nut on the G, D and A strings when I use the trem... which is irritating because I'm waiting to get my new Core nut from John Mann's Guitar Vault so I can switch up to .010s and get a setup tweaked for me... but until then I have to put up with the strings going sharp when I hit the bar unless I want to drag it to the dealer to have their tech guy clean it up (cuz I don't do that!)... so meh... first world problems... :rolleyes:

4 conductor pickups! Series/parallel is so much better than coil split.

I'd also add a middle pickup to my custom 24. Turns out I really miss neck + middle clean tones.

I think I'd also add more room to pull back on the prs trem. I can flutter and divebomb, but no big pull backs like on a Floyd.

My '03 CU24 would become a Hollowbody w/ 5-way blade switch.

My '21 McCarty 594 HBII would grow a trem bar.

On the '09 Sunburst 22...nothing. On the '04 SCT...I changed what I wanted to make it more of a keeper. Added a TV Jones PowerTron in the bridge, went to black for the knobs, mount rings and toggle cap, #6 with brushed nickel/potted cover and then then defaulted the split coil switch so the default was single coil mode. That worked out nicely. PowerTron was 7.6K, #6 was 3.6K and together about 2.5K or so. (Mind you these are "at the output jack" measurements so pots come into play, too, albeit minimally. That made it the "different" guitar to satisfy what I needed it to be as a keeper. Lol...for now! :) But...if I could find the ultimate purple to swap for...o_O. Maybe Orianthi's blooming lotus glow, etc.:p

Maybe brass trem blocks on my SE Custom 24. Just a wee tad more jump in the tone and especially when split. Best bang for the buck maybe? Not that I'm cheap, I just don't have a six figure slush fund to buy better equipped guitars. And I hate lots of trial and error mod attempts...

Maybe brass trem blocks on my SE Custom 24. Just a wee tad more jump in the tone and especially when split. Best bang for the buck maybe? Not that I'm cheap, I just don't have a six figure slush fund to buy better equipped guitars. And I hate lots of trial and error mod attempts...
John Mann makes all brass trem blocks for SE’s. I think they’re $80

John Mann makes all brass trem blocks for SE’s. I think they’re $80
Can’t go wrong! I consider a block upgrade in a trem equipped SE a great idea.

Individual volumes on my McSoapy ( I know the later ones had the 4 knob lay out )
As a simple alternative for my existing one , I may swap out the toggle for a blend knob . I have this on a few other instruments and find it to be a bit more elegant way to deal with.

Last edited:
Reactions: jxe
Biggest bugbears in the PRS I own:
Pickup covers that tarnish easily (some guitars)
Frets that tarnish easily (all guitars)
Yellowing finish (a small minority)
Cloudiness in finish (a small minority)

Other than that, it’s five by five

seperate volume for bass/ treble pickups on the special semi hollow .. ( like the DGT private stock semi )

#UnpopularOpinions

I don’t really care for or use position 2/4 on 5-way Custom models.

Have wanted to add a narrow field on my P22 for awhile and swap to SSH style 5-way, but PTC told me, “not right now” last time I asked.

Back