If you could change one thing about a PRS you own, what would it be?

Ovibos

Naughty Wood Librarian
It'd be the 5-way blade on my WL CU24. Completely unreachable when the whammy bar is in.

I like the sounds I can get from the switching, but the location is just borked.

My next PRS will likely be either a Tremonti or a flavor of 24-08, partially for this reason.

I'd change nothing now - I'm dead pleased with the Naylor Hyper Vintage pickups I put in my '06 McCarty. The orig. pickups from back then just didn't light me up. I changed them out for a set of Jim Wagner Crossroads then moved the CR's to a LP Studio I have (just to scratch the LP itch) and the Railhammers went in when they first came out. It's a dead heat between this McCarty and a homemade Nashville Tele for my #1 first call guitar.
nzd9qbL.jpg

I'd change nothing now - I'm dead pleased with the Naylor Hyper Vintage pickups I put in my '06 McCarty. The orig. pickups from back then just didn't light me up. I changed them out for a set of Jim Wagner Crossroads then moved the CR's to a LP Studio I have (just to scratch the LP itch) and the Railhammers went in when they first came out. It's a dead heat between this McCarty and a homemade Nashville Tele for my #1 first call guitar.
nzd9qbL.jpg
999 likes, oh oh!

I CAN change one thing in any PRS I own. :) But I won’t change anything in any of my Core guitars, there’s just no need to mess with them.

But the tuning keys in my Zach Myers must go. I will change them at some point, probably the pots and caps too.

DGT. I know people rave about the PRS coil spilts, but to be honest I'm not much a fan. If this is indeed the best coil-spilts can get, then I guess maybe I simply don't like coil splits? I've heard Grissom say he "can get a tele bridge tone, or a strat neck tone, or a Gretsch in-between tone" with the DGT wiring, but I don't hear it. I own a tele, a strat, and a Gretsch.

Also, to be honest, while the PRS treble bleed is OK, the treble bleeds on all my other guitars actually work better. That I might have to look into, maybe try adjusting the component values to get better performance.

Generally minor mods - like add a switch to the 509 to swap the function of the Middle selection between SC middle and both HB's and a similar mod to the Special to be able to use the NF on its own... The one major change I'd make is swap the bridge on my 594 HBii to the Adjustable stop tail with Piezo bridge...

It'd be the 5-way blade on my WL CU24. Completely unreachable when the whammy bar is in.

I like the sounds I can get from the switching, but the location is just borked.

My next PRS will likely be either a Tremonti or a flavor of 24-08, partially for this reason.
I didn’t realize how much that bothers me until I bought a guitar with it. Fortunately, it was only an SE but… kills any and all desire for a large portion of “modern” PRS models for me. It “looks right” but feels so very wrong. Quite possibly the biggest screw up PRS has ever made IMO.

I would put a trem on my Mira...I know it would look outta place on that design but I rest my palm on the corner or the trem/stop tail on my guitars and the hardtail kinda sticks up on my miras...otherwise brilliant guitars!!
I find the hard tail to be the most comfortable feeling non-trem bridge in the industry, but..

The PRS trem is the greatest single thing that keeps me playing and buying their guitars. To have it not available on Mira’s, Vela’s, and any of the 594’s is maybe tied (or just below) the blade switch placement thing.

I haven't had my CE semi-hollow for long, but I love ALMOST everything about it. The one thing that bugs me (and I'm sure I'll eventually change the way I play to accommodate) is the placement of the volume knob. It does make it easier to play with the volume, but since I never had a guitar with one so close to all the action, I hit it all the time while strumming. If it was just another 2 inches or so down or towards the end, it would be perfect.

DGT. I know people rave about the PRS coil spilts, but to be honest I'm not much a fan. If this is indeed the best coil-spilts can get, then I guess maybe I simply don't like coil splits? I've heard Grissom say he "can get a tele bridge tone, or a strat neck tone, or a Gretsch in-between tone" with the DGT wiring, but I don't hear it. I own a tele, a strat, and a Gretsch.

Also, to be honest, while the PRS treble bleed is OK, the treble bleeds on all my other guitars actually work better. That I might have to look into, maybe try adjusting the component values to get better performance.
What are you using for your treble bleed if you don't mind me asking?

Back