If you block your trem, is it beneficial to upgrade to a Mann 1 Piece Bridge?

If you block your trem, which of the following:

• Upgrade to Mann 1-piece

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Leave stock bridge and trem block on

• Silence, you blaspheming fool!

• Total voters

Crazybayman

If you wind up blocking your trem:

1. Will you still hear the benefits of a Mann 1 piece bridge?

Or

2. Will you be in a situation in which you may as well stick with the stock SE trem block and bridge?

Or

3. It's considered blasphemy to even suggest doing such a thing

If you wind up blocking your trem:

1. Will you still hear the benefits of a Mann 1 piece bridge?

Or

2. Will you be in a situation in which you may as well stick with the stock SE trem block and bridge?

Or

3. It's considered blasphemy to even suggest doing such a thing

Depends where you're starting from. If it's on an SE, yes, I would still do it. I just rebuilt an old (early 90s) Strat with a blocked Fender trem. I wanted something nice, and with less opportunity to tear up my hand. I went with John's trem. Love it. Feels great. I think I get more sustain and note separation. Could just be in my head, but I'm please regardless.

***EDIT**** Sorry, I missed "SE" in option 2. In this case, if it were me, I'd do the Mann 1 piece.

Surely the answer should depend on whether you want to easily reverse the blocked trem or whether you want to spend money on blocking it or not.

If you want to (relatively) easily change between a blocked or floating trem and/or don't really want to/can't invest more money into the guitar, then stick with the stock trem. I have no doubt that upgrading to a Mann Bridge would be the best option - even if you don't block it off - so it really does come down to whether or not the person wants the cost and/or hassle of swapping a bridge out or happy to make do with their stock bridge and block that off.

There is no right/wrong answer, it comes down to individual situations and whether or not the difference between the two bridges is worth the investment to that person - for some it may well be and others not so much...

Assuming you're starting with an SE vibrato, even if you never use it at all, the two piece alone will improve the sound of the guitar so much that it's well worth it. Much prettier, too!

Depends where you're starting from. If it's on an SE, yes, I would still do it. I just rebuilt an old (early 90s) Strat with a blocked Fender trem. I wanted something nice, and with less opportunity to tear up my hand. I went with John's trem. Love it. Feels great. I think I get more sustain and note separation. Could just be in my head, but I'm please regardless.

***EDIT**** Sorry, I missed "SE" in option 2. In this case, if it were me, I'd do the Mann 1 piece.
Cool, thanks. That's what I'm thinking as well.

Yeah, that was one my first upgrades to my old 90's MIM strat - replaced the saddles so palm muting doesn't result in bloodshed.

Assuming you're starting with an SE vibrato, even if you never use it at all, the two piece alone will improve the sound of the guitar so much that it's well worth it. Much prettier, too!
haha......great. Was hoping that would be the case!

I'm still at a loss as to why they still do that
Because there's this irrational, "vintage-must-always-be-better", thing out there that just will not die in the face of all evidence to the contrary. For instance, a while ago I got caught by an ad for a company that makes reissues of some of the old 60's Vox guitars that looked like they might be fun. A little research, though, revealed that just like the 60's originals you actually had to take the neck off to adjust the truss rod.
I mean, really! Why, in the 21st century, would you do that? The guitar we're talking about is just a bolt on slab, for Gods sake, not a Stradivarius. The answer can only be a slavish devotion to the "vintage".
It's like when Stalin had his people copy a captured B-29 which happened to have a patch riveted on where it had been damaged. The engineers were so terrified of Stalin that they actually copied the patch as part of the design, even they knew that's what it was.

Because there's this irrational, "vintage-must-always-be-better", thing out there that just will not die in the face of all evidence to the contrary. For instance, a while ago I got caught by an ad for a company that makes reissues of some of the old 60's Vox guitars that looked like they might be fun. A little research, though, revealed that just like the 60's originals you actually had to take the neck off to adjust the truss rod.
I mean, really! Why, in the 21st century, would you do that? The guitar we're talking about is just a bolt on slab, for Gods sake, not a Stradivarius. The answer can only be a slavish devotion to the "vintage".
It's like when Stalin had his people copy a captured B-29 which happened to have a patch riveted on where it had been damaged. The engineers were so terrified of Stalin that they actually copied the patch as part of the design, even they knew that's what it was.
hahaha

so what we're saying here - is that Leo Fender was like Stalin reincarnated

hahaha

so what we're saying here - is that Leo Fender was like Stalin reincarnated
God forbid anyone is Stalin reincarnated. You know what I mean, though! That truss rod thing is a perfect example. Even back in the '60s that was a B-list axe, so copying every single detail simply for the sake of, "authenticity", is silly, especially when it's now so obvious that it was a poor design choice and it would be so easy to fix in a reissue.

Like those trem screws. But for some I guess the pain is an indispensable part of the the true vintage experience!

Back