If You’re Good With What Ya Got...

I was only talking about amps in this thread, you are good to go!

Guitars? Pedals? That’s for another thread.

Mr. Prosecutor, case dismissed! ;)

Well you have to add a Custom 50 then but I got that around 2015 and it only cost me $600 so again I'm kind of on hold.

I'm actually really happy with where I stand on gear. I have a healthy stable of guitars, amps, effects, pedals, racks, midi switchers and controllers, etc.

What happened last weekend was a fluke.....through and through. But apparently I need the DGT as I have nothing else quite like it!

Got any war stories of amps self destructing in the heat of battle? (of course not about PRS amps!).

Oh I do. At rehearsal long long ago, I had a 70s marshall super lead 100. Years before that a pitcher of beer was spilled on top of it while it was on. I'm guessing it was pretty ugly as I wasn't there but fast forward to rehearsal. I had it repaired and was hoping to get many years of use out of it.

Stopped a song for some reason and all the guys were pointing. Flames 3 feet tall were coming out of it.I repaired it 3 or 4 times before it stopped blowing up.

Also, I had some sub cabs built for some monster Altec speakers I had. At a gig one night and one of the Altecs had caught fire. Some fella ran up a threw a pitcher of beer on it. This happened twice.

Oh I do. At rehearsal long long ago, I had a 70s marshall super lead 100. Years before that a pitcher of beer was spilled on top of it while it was on. I'm guessing it was pretty ugly as I wasn't there but fast forward to rehearsal. I had it repaired and was hoping to get many years of use out of it.

Stopped a song for some reason and all the guys were pointing. Flames 3 feet tall were coming out of it.I repaired it 3 or 4 times before it stopped blowing up.

Also, I had some sub cabs built for some monster Altec speakers I had. At a gig one night and one of the Altecs had caught fire. Some fella ran up a threw a pitcher of beer on it. This happened twice.

Now that's rock-n-roll!

I'm completely happy with what I have right now, amp wise. In fact, I have 3 for sale! But... I am absolutely certain after the last couple reviews I've read, that I'll want an MT15. Guitar wise, never enough! I should sell about 5 and buy 2-3 more, and then re-evaluate.

Wait, you look at birds that aren’t attached to the fretboards of guitars?? o_O

My brother's the birdwatcher but I'll tag along for anything that sounds fun to see like lost Snowy Owls with a five foot wingspan.

Thanks again for the insights - I've ordered a PRS/ VanDamme instrument cable, which was one of the ones I was thinking about, and will see what I think! I've had a quick look at MusicCord and am tempted although they're pretty dear.

Valves-wise I have tended to use US made NOS stuff (a lot of it JAN spec) sourced from Watford valves here in the UK- where do you source your vales from? Is there a good US web-store?

My brother's the birdwatcher but I'll tag along for anything that sounds fun to see like lost Snowy Owls with a five foot wingspan.

Thanks again for the insights - I've ordered a PRS/ VanDamme instrument cable, which was one of the ones I was thinking about, and will see what I think! I've had a quick look at MusicCord and am tempted although they're pretty dear.

Valves-wise I have tended to use US made NOS stuff (a lot of it JAN spec) sourced from Watford valves here in the UK- where do you source your vales from? Is there a good US web-store?

I was kidding about the bird watching thing. Nature is awesome!

I’ve bought quite a few tubes from tubedepot.com and thetubestore.com, but I’ve also gotten any number from other sources over the years; I got NOS Brimar from a place in Canada (can’t remember the name, darn it!), and there have been any number of other sources.

I’m amazed at how dismissive people can be about the tube thing. If you ever get complacent or bored with any quality tube amp, a new compliment of tubes can completely change it. In 5 or 6 different iterations, I’ve transformed my old Boogie MkIII into a different animal...Fender clone (fire breathing, that is), Marshall beast, old Boogie, and new Boogie. Add a change in cabs/speakers and it’s even more transformative.

Now, on my Super Dallas, the only thing I changed was V1 to a vintage Mullard. It will be a sad day when that tube dies, but until then, I’m pumping out some of the most powerful and speaker-abusing low end ever to harass a pine 2x12. My point: don’t gloss over Les’ suggestions and comments about tubes. There’s gold in that wisdom.

I’m amazed at how dismissive people can be about the tube thing. If you ever get complacent or bored with any quality tube amp, a new compliment of tubes can completely change it. In 5 or 6 different iterations, I’ve transformed my old Boogie MkIII into a different animal...Fender clone (fire breathing, that is), Marshall beast, old Boogie, and new Boogie. Add a change in cabs/speakers and it’s even more transformative.

Now, on my Super Dallas, the only thing I changed was V1 to a vintage Mullard. It will be a sad day when that tube dies, but until then, I’m pumping out some of the most powerful and speaker-abusing low end ever to harass a pine 2x12. My point: don’t gloss over Les’ suggestions and comments about tubes. There’s gold in that wisdom.

You’re the one who got me into the NOS Mullard preamp tubes, my friend! Before that I’d been into the Telefunkens, GEs and RCAs - all great, but in the HXDA (as one might expect, given its Plexi roots) the Mullard rules.

You’re the one who got me into the NOS Mullard preamp tubes, my friend! Before that I’d been into the Telefunkens, GEs and RCAs - all great, but in the HXDA (as one might expect, given its Plexi roots) the Mullard rules.

And, the Mullard El34s should be the grail power tubes for that amp as well.

It is simply amazing how that specific tube makes the Marshall experience so real. Even in my MkIII, after a single power chord, my jaw dropped. Possibly my biggest “ah HA!” Guitar moment.

And, the Mullard El34s should be the grail power tubes for that amp as well.

Yes.

A matched, Mullard-labeled NOS pair of XF-2s goes in the $400-450 range, if you can find them.

I’ve got about $800 in the NOS Siemens tubes, two in the amp, and three sets of matched pairs as backups. For now - not sayin’ forever - but for now, I’m good, since I love the tone with the Siemens tubes. At some point, if I outlive my backup sets...

Back