If there could be only one....

Oh, I forgot about that John Mayer super eagle. I might have to go with that one??

If I had to be limited to one guitar, then it would have to be the Modern Eagle V for the sheer number of options it offers. Ideally, I would add a Piezo too and preferably a semi-hollow design too to make it even more versatile and lighter.

Unless you are looking for a very specific tone, like a 63 strat for example, I think this would get close enough with the added benefits of many other tones to make it the only guitar you could ever need - certainly for the vast majority of situations. I know some are more 'picky' but if they couldn't have more than 1 guitar, something that offers the multitude of options in one guitar would be better than having to decide whether they want just the best Strat tone so pick a Silver Sky, happy with just the Custom 24 (or 24-08, 24 Piezo or 24 Floyd) etc. I wouldn't want to be limited to just 1 guitar or would - even if I was in a Position to order a Modern Eagle V semi-hollow with Piezo but if I HAD to have just 1, that would be my pick...

It needs to move up to the top of your list ;). Mine has been through a fret dress, a complete refret and new switch since I purchased it new 11 years ago. It weighs close to nothing and sounds great for Jazz, Blues and even R&R. Lot's of playing time on this one.
DSCN2610.jpg

I think mine doesn't actually exist; it would be this guitar, but all carved mahogany. So a 'Core Hollowbody Standard'...? I know that could be a one off private stock, but that's well beyond even my exaggerated/imaginary means...

1- NF3 with 59/09 in the bridge
1A - Silver Sky w/ NF3 neck, HSS with 57/08 in the bridge.

Both of these must of the pattern regular neck/maple fingerboard, just like my NF3, but WITH BIRDS! Cool ones. LOL.

S2 studio looks like a really fun guitar. The older core ones as well.
The S2 Studio is a grossly underrated guitar. It’s funky as all hell. The only weakness is no neck humbucker. The core studio? The biggest weakness is not as funky on the neck/middle setting and a little less bright on the bridge. Both extremely fine guitars. The 509 gets me there both ways.
My S2 Studio will never leave me, though. It doesn’t sound like anything else I’ve ever played.

Last edited:
The S2 Studio is a grossly underrated guitar. It’s funky as all hell. The only weakness is no neck humbucker. The core studio? The biggest weakness is not as funky on the neck/middle setting and a little less bright on the bridge. Both extremely fine guitars. The 509 gets me there both ways.
My S2 Studio will never leave me, though. It doesn’t sound like anything else I’ve ever played.

I wanted one of those badly when they first came out, but they were tough to find and impossible to find in person to try.

If you want an SSH strat, the S2 Studio is not your best choice. If you want a VERY versatile guitar, this is it. Nothing is single coil and quite as thick to my ears. Even with that, it has great rhythm spank. It also weighs very little, and I really like the S2 body carve around the end of the third set. Of course, that's assuming there will be a return to that.

Same here.
The main reason I don't have one is I couldn't find one to try.
I'm one of those dinosaurs that won't buy a guitar without playing it first.
I'm not totally against buying something I haven't played, although I am hesitant. In this case, it was buying something that is different, and that I have not played. I'd buy a Custom 22 or 24 or something I'm very familiar with. Probably a 594 as well even though it's different. But when there are "different" pickups involved, and I'm not intimately familiar with the feel of the S2 models, etc... I couldn't do it without playing one.

I’d really love to try a Studio or an NF3! So if anyone needs me to curate for a wee while, PM’s are accepted ;)
I am fortunate enough to own both an S2 Studio and an NF3 (with birds & maple neck). If you have small hands and fingers like I do, you will love the NF3 just because it is so easy to play. It also sounds like "a strat on steriods" when you want it to, but can also sound great when played clean.

I am fortunate enough to own both an S2 Studio and an NF3 (with birds & maple neck). If you have small hands and fingers like I do, you will love the NF3 just because it is so easy to play. It also sounds like "a strat on steriods" when you want it to, but can also sound great when played clean.

I don’t have especially small hands, but your tonal description has got me wanting an NF3 even more now!

Back