If money was no object what PRS guitar would you have

I’m going to change my answer. Les has convinced me. Wouldn’t be too blingy, but I’d get a 594 Private Stock
I did the 'not too blingy' thing with my PS acoustic, which was also my first private stock, and the only one that wasn't part of a factory run of PS models.

I'm really glad I did it that way, by the way.

I felt that the model was plenty blingy with what came standard. Beyond that, I wanted the hollow birds, and the neck without a contrasting binding that came on the Artist models they were delivering at the time. I didn't want to appear to bring out a custom made guitar at sessions where players that I think are better than me would look at the guitar and say, "WTF can you play to deserve that!?" *

It still looks awfully special, so I'm not sure I accomplished much camouflage. BUT - I like understatement, and I can 100% relate to your comment about ordering one that isn't too blingy.

*I fully realize it ain't about 'deserve', but I have to interact with session players and would rather avoid the issue altogether. A person who isn't very familiar with PRS electrics would never know that my PS electrics aren't simply standard Core models.

Something like this:

20200307_CYT_GAD_26348__97959.1583771216.jpg
Ouha two-headed dragon I like it!

I felt that the model was plenty blingy with what came standard. Beyond that, I want
Yeah, I totally agree with everything you said. We all know I loves me some birds. When I said “too blingy” I meant more like the neck and headstock being lined with Abalone and things like that. Beautiful wood, CHECK. KILLER STAINS, of course. Birds, no exception. Just not too much other bling. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but something like your northern lights PS doesn’t need anything that draws attention away from that beautiful body! IMHO.

for starters, i would get quilted stoptails in bonnie pink, fbj, a nice purple, and of course, dragon scale green. to make it interesting i'd find a top that could be made to look like my first mother-of-pearl ludwig kit. all with w/f birdseye necks.

Yeah, I totally agree with everything you said. We all know I loves me some birds. When I said “too blingy” I meant more like the neck and headstock being lined with Abalone and things like that. Beautiful wood, CHECK. KILLER STAINS, of course. Birds, no exception. Just not too much other bling. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but something like your northern lights PS doesn’t need anything that draws attention away from that beautiful body! IMHO.
The tone of that guitar is way, way better than the look of it. That's what draws the attention away from the finish and the woods used!

I do appreciate the appearance of the thing, don't get me wrong, but I never gaze at it. The guitar lives in its case until I play it, then it goes back.

It's really an incredible instrument, and I'd have bought it even if it hadn't been as nice to look at.

Private stock, 22 frets, semi-hollow, HH, piezo, tremolo.

I'm going to the factory to pick my favorite quilted maple top and it's getting dyed blue.

Mahogany back, Brazilian neck, maybe a ziricote fretboard?

Slightly thinner than pattern thin neck. 25" scale length.

No plastic on the entire guitar. Everything that's normally plastic is being replaced by wood.

I need to try all the PRS pickups before deciding what kind I want. No idea right now. But for this guitar I'm convincing Paul to make a 4 conductor PRS pickup instead of a 3 conductor.

5 way switch with custom switching: neck humbucker, neck humbucker in parallel, neck coil split, neck + bridge, bridge humbucker.

Piezo controls, so a 3-way switch and a blend knob. Only 1 output jack.

The tone knob is push pull. When down, the tone knob only connects to the bridge pickup. When up it connects to both pickups.

The volume is also push pull. When up it coil splits the bridge.

That should do it...

Last edited:
Back