If I EVER even THINK about going into Guitar Center again..........

Have had similar GC experiences in both directions...Young kids obviously pretending to care when talking to them, and then they move on to someone else...but...
Did some dealing/trading recently in GC Rockville branch, and a couple younger guys were absolutely great to deal with...aaah, they're just like any other Chain store, I guess.

We have 2 GC's in the immediate Buffalo area, another in Rochester if I want a 2 HR cruise. All of them are just Meh! Some days I get decent service, others I'm a ghost that can haunt the guitar rack for an hour and have every employee walk through me doing as much as possible to do as little as possible for customers. I'm usually in there looking for cables or looking for a used bass amp. Never really finding anything satisfying.

If the surroundings are NSFW, I completely understand. However, if the surroundings are PRS guitars, we could certainly ask Markie to show us his guitar stash when he feels OK with this...

TOTALLY safe for work. Totally appropriate for this forum. WALLS lined with PRS guitars. And a couple guys sitting there talking... and not touching any of them! THAT is the WTH point! I'd have fingerprints on every guitar down there. :p

TOTALLY safe for work. Totally appropriate for this forum. WALLS lined with PRS guitars. And a couple guys sitting there talking... and not touching any of them! THAT is the WTH point! I'd have fingerprints on every guitar down there. :p

Next time you close out the day and set your glasses aside next to your alarm clock at night, just remember what is it you're setting your stuff on. (My SIL says about my brother, "Sometimes I wake up Grumpy, sometimes I let him sleep..")

Regards the photo, @11top is not being cooperative, so we'll need to squeeze him and make him dyslexic.

Next time you close out the day and set your glasses aside next to your alarm clock at night, just remember what is it you're setting your stuff on.
I think it's time we change your forum name from "CandidPicker" to "PhilosophicalPicker." You seem to wax philosophically on a regular basis. Think we should take a vote? :D

I think it's time we change your forum name from "CandidPicker" to "PhilosophicalPicker." You seem to wax philosophically on a regular basis. Think we should take a vote? :D

Nah. My perspective changes as time and location calls for. Not so much philosophy (never studied the subject in school) as there was a meme some years back...let me see if I can find it...ah, here it is...and TBH, I'm not a card shark, either. Never gambled a day in my life. Only reality was logging into guitar forums.

OBY4hJR.jpg

Last edited:
I think the issue is, we tend to post stuff we may not be aware of. I vote we rename DTR as "Postmaster" and see what happens.
??? Whatchu talkin bout, Willis?

(Seriously don’t know what you mean by posting stuff we aren’t aware of. Or are you just saying that I post too much? :))

By ‘we’ did you mean ‘I’?

Sticking to the general subject matter of a particular community might yield the best results.

Possibly, but "I'm" not the kind of guy who "generally hands out candy" to people either.

It seems some are already focusing on how sweet attracts more flies than sour, or have you not noticed? o_O And no, not all "people" are sugar & spice, though you might find both in the same aisle, if this is my current viewpoint.

??? Whatchu talkin bout, Willis?

(Seriously don’t know what you mean by posting stuff we aren’t aware of. Or are you just saying that I post too much? :))

No, I just witnessed the beginnings of "piling on" and chose a pre-emptive strike to dissuade further piling.

TBH, we're cool. And just making a defense because the need occurred.

I was looking at the used PRS CE 24's on the GC website and they had a beautiful 2016 CE 24 Vintage Sunburst for $1300 at my local GC. I decided to call and see if it was still there. The kid gets back to me and says no we don't have it anymore. I asked if the person (manager) I deal with is there and he says he'll be in at 3pm. I decided to head down there at 3pm knowing that CE is still there and low and behold as soon as I walked in the door I saw it hanging almost to the ceiling. My sales guy gets a ladder and we inspect it and it was flawless. We changed the strings, adjusted the bridge and he tells me it comes with a PRS hard shell case. I totally scored!!

No pics? Must be a Hello Kitty Strat then...

More fun GC stories:

My One fell into my lap simply because my local GC had listed a S2 online for a stupid price and being the cheap b@stage that I am, thought maybe I could flip their mistake. Imagine my surprise when I walked in the store and found it wasn't an S2 at all, but a One and it was Korina to boot. Come to find out, they'd posted an ad of the S2 for the One price. The only problem was the S2 wasn't even in their store, it was at the Lincoln store and was priced at market value. This ad swapping thing has happened more than once btw, I mean how do stores almost an hour apart post the other store's ad? I wasn't the only one who noticed this as there was a TGP thread created on it, but I didn't have the heart to tell them I'd already snatched the One.

When the updated Blackstar Club 40's dropped a year or so back, I was in the market for a new amp. I knew my GC was supposed to get one in on a Friday but I couldn't make it down until Sunday. So Sunday the better half and I went in to try it out. I grabbed a guitar off the wall plugged in and flipped it on and...nothing. I flipped switches, turned dials, tried different cords and still no sound. Finally I got a salesperson to come over and start looking at it and same thing, no sound. So he decides maybe a different outlet might help, as if... Did he bother to carry it? Nope. I had to carry it over where he waited by the new outlet. Obviously it didnt make a bit of difference. About that time, another saleperson walked by and calmly announced, "Oh, yeah, I unboxed that on Friday but never could get it to work...", and they left it on the floor knowing it was broke. SMDH.

And I'm surprised nobody's mentioned that every GC must have been issued the same potato camera to be used for every used ad they post.

Obviously, I've done my fair share of griping about GC, and it's been fairly justified IMHO, but I've also bought 5 guitars and 2 amps from them over the years, so I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. I still maintain though that your experience depends who you deal with inside the store. Sadly with their rate of turnover, it's sometimes hard to deal with the same salesperson from trip to trip.

Last edited:
No pics? Must be a Hello Kitty Strat then...

More fun GC stories:

My One fell into my lap simply because my local GC had listed a S2 online for a stupid price and being the cheap b@stage that I am, thought maybe I could flip their mistake. Imagine my surprise when I walked in the store and found it wasn't an S2 at all, but a One and it was Korina to boot. Come to find out, they'd posted an ad of the S2 for the One price. The only problem was the S2 wasn't even in their store, it was at the Lincoln store and was priced at market value. This ad swapping thing has happened more than once btw, I mean how do stores almost an hour apart post the other store's ad? I wasn't the only one who noticed this as there was a TGP thread created on it, but I didn't have the heart to tell them I'd already snatched the One.

When the updated Blackstar Club 40's dropped a year or so back, I was in the market for a new amp. I knew my GC was supposed to get one in on a Friday but I couldn't make it down until Sunday. So Sunday the better half and I went in to try it out. I grabbed a guitar off the wall plugged in and flipped it on and...nothing. I flipped switches, turned dials, tried different cords and still no sound. Finally I got a salesperson to come over and start looking at it and same thing, no sound. So he decides maybe a different outlet might help, as if... Did he bother to carry it? Nope. I had to carry it over where he waited by the new outlet. Obviously it didnt make a bit of difference. About that time, another saleperson walked by and calmly announced, "Oh, yeah, I unboxed that on Friday but never could get it to work...", and they left it on the floor knowing it was broke. SMDH.

And I'm surprised nobody's mentioned that every GC must have been issued the same potato camera to be used for every used ad they post.

Obviusly, I've done my fair share of griping about GC, and it's been fairly justified IMHO, but I've also bought 5 guitars and 2 amps from them over the years, so I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. I still maintain though that your experience depends who you deal with inside the store. Sadly with their rate of turnover, it's sometimes hard to deal with the same salesperson from trip to trip.

This is true as well. YMMV regards whom you speak to in GC, and knowing that GC has a comparably high employee turnover rate, your experience will also vary as a result. Sometimes you get the cream of the crop, other times a few lemons, other times "sweetness." I think the metaphor holds true.

What is all this? Equals a cuppa tea!

No, I just witnessed the beginnings of "piling on" and chose a pre-emptive strike to dissuade further piling.

TBH, we're cool. And just making a defense because the need occurred.
Ok, well I'm not trying to pile on anything. I'm just here for the likes. (I know, another joke. Seriously, just here to have fun and talk music and guitars. And occasionally, Julie Bowen or Marie Osmond. I know, I did it again... )

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, well I'm not trying to pile on anything. I'm just here for the likes. (I know, another joke. Seriously, just hear to have fun and talk music and guitars. And occasionally, Julie Bowen or Marie Osmond. I know, I did it again... )

Sorry for the grump. Am coming down with a cold because of the last 3 days of mid-30/lower-40 temps at night, and my indoor thermostat being set too high (sinuses don't like too warm temps and outdoor cold). Will need honey-lemon tea, proper nutrition, and bedrest. Am not happy that my workplace is in the path of trouble this week. Yes, it's personal, and no, kissing up to them isn't helping.

Sorry for the grump. Am coming down with a cold because of the last 3 days of mid-30/lower-40 temps at night, and my indoor thermostat being set too high (sinuses don't like too warm temps and outdoor cold). Will need honey-lemon tea, proper nutrition, and bedrest. Am not happy that my workplace is in the path of trouble this week. Yes, it's personal, and no, kissing up to them isn't helping.
No problem my man. I was in a bad mood once. Don't remember it, but my wife swears it's true. :)

Back