If I EVER even THINK about going into Guitar Center again..........

Ehh.. I feel bad for the employees, I’ve known a few.
I went in there last Saturday to buy a $40 toggle switch (you read that right) and was helped by the nicest guy. He was clearly too young and good natured to have the requisite amount of animosity and ire his compatriots probably harbor. Then, to top the experience, an other older employee, probably 30, turned to my guy and said, “do you hear that guy over there? He’s playing Ricki Martin, La Vida Loca.” My guy said, “who’s Ricki Martin?”. “Oh man, I feel old”, said older guy. I said, “oh, you shut the hell up!”. Damned kids. :rolleyes:

One of the nicest guys in the world is still with GC and is a regular on these boards. Nothing but respect and friendship for Ron. :cool:

I went in there last Saturday to buy a $40 toggle switch (you read that right) and was helped by the nicest guy. He was clearly too young and good natured to have the requisite amount of animosity and ire his compatriots probably harbor. Then, to top the experience, an other older employee, probably 30, turned to my guy and said, “do you hear that guy over there? He’s playing Ricki Martin, La Vida Loca.” My guy said, “who’s Ricki Martin?”. “Oh man, I feel old”, said older guy. I said, “oh, you shut the hell up!”. Damned kids. :rolleyes:

One of the nicest guys in the world is still with GC and is a regular on these boards. Nothing but respect and friendship for Ron. :cool:
My GCRon? I haven’t seen him on here once since I’ve been here... even though he’s the one that told me about the place a few years back! (And showed me pics of him in Markie’s basement).

Last edited by a moderator:
GCRon is a regular on most of the guitar forums...remembering him from the old BaM days. Perhaps Ron has found his place to call home other than this forum...?

Glad we don't have a GC here in P.R. The horror stories I have heard are crazy, so I feel for you, man! That being said, glad you found the PRS you were looking for!

in the early '00s, GC was a haven I'd visit just about every week, either trying out their guitars, or bringing mine in and trying out effects and amps. Was there mostly for the social experience and to listen to others, sometimes jamming along with the patrons when they'd play a song or something recognizable.

It must have irked the GC employees to no end, 1) me not buying much in the way of gear, 2) chatting with customers about my gear likes and dislikes, and 3) spending the better part of an afternoon using up amp tube life and doing GC employees' jobs of speaking about gear selling points.

If I didn't realize how much of a nuisance that had caused, I might have put in an application for working there.

But then again, the old employees from my local GC have moved on with their lives and only one or 2 folks from '00 still work there. And since GC essentially sang the Tom Petty song "Don't Come Around Here No More" rather clearly to me when they asked me to not visit so often, it made sense that my welcome had worn out and like guests and fish begin to smell after 3 days, I took my leave without protest and didn't frequent GC so often.

Nowadays, I might visit but every 6 months or so, perhaps giving them a call for some used gear I'd previously researched. But my days of using GC as a social hangout to jam with others uninvited or consider purchasing gear has almost all but been a thing of the past. An older man now, more prepared to know the social etiquette of conducting business in someone else's playground sandbox. And hopefully, remembering to allow others to use the same sandbox when we play together.

No? Here ya go then...

j5tf4qG.jpg

Pics, please or Elvira gets publicity. :p
Oh I don’t have the pics. Ron showed them to me on his phone, and at the store. It actually started out with us discussing what my next PRS might be, and him showing me some pics. Then, he showed me a few pics of him, Markie and Steve in Markie’s basement... and the surroundings. :eek::eek::eek:

Oh I don’t have the pics. Ron showed them to me on his phone, and at the store. It actually started out with us discussing what my next PRS might be, and him showing me some pics. Then, he showed me a few pics of him, Markie and Steve in Markie’s basement... and the surroundings. :eek::eek::eek:

If the surroundings are NSFW, I completely understand. However, if the surroundings are PRS guitars, we could certainly ask Markie to show us his guitar stash when he feels OK with this...

I was looking at the used PRS CE 24's on the GC website and they had a beautiful 2016 CE 24 Vintage Sunburst for $1300 at my local GC. I decided to call and see if it was still there. The kid gets back to me and says no we don't have it anymore. I asked if the person (manager) I deal with is there and he says he'll be in at 3pm. I decided to head down there at 3pm knowing that CE is still there and low and behold as soon as I walked in the door I saw it hanging almost to the ceiling. My sales guy gets a ladder and we inspect it and it was flawless. We changed the strings, adjusted the bridge and he tells me it comes with a PRS hard shell case. I totally scored!!

I was looking at the used PRS CE 24's on the GC website and they had a beautiful 2016 CE 24 Vintage Sunburst for $1300 at my local GC. I decided to call and see if it was still there. The kid gets back to me and says no we don't have it anymore. I asked if the person (manager) I deal with is there and he says he'll be in at 3pm. I decided to head down there at 3pm knowing that CE is still there and low and behold as soon as I walked in the door I saw it hanging almost to the ceiling. My sales guy gets a ladder and we inspect it and it was flawless. We changed the strings, adjusted the bridge and he tells me it comes with a PRS hard shell case. I totally scored!!

Congratulations, you’re persistence paid off

Back