If I EVER even THINK about going into Guitar Center again..........

matonanjin

Please shoot me.

I know what the outcome is going to be. I always know. And yet, every few years I go back there.... Please help me.

Many years ago I had purchased a Fender Blues, Jr. 3 amp there. The reverb went out on it so I took it back there yesterday to see if they had ideas/could help me. Doing this is no minor undertaking. My wonderful wife carried it to the car for me. We got there and she parked at the car at the curb in front of the store. I thought I could get it from the car inside. Struggling, I did manage to do so. Obviously struggling, I am met by a kid with an annoying smirk who was clearly enjoying said struggling, "We don't work on amps."

Me, "I know that but a couple years ago, I brought it in for the same thing, the Reverb was out, and someone helped me."

Kid, maintaining annoying smirk, "We don't work on amps".

Me, "I said I know that. But a nice guy named Erin fixed it for me. Is he here?"

Kid, "Erin no longer works here. We don't work on amps."

Fortunately, we are a society of laws. And, also fortunately, I considered the consequences of the different ways I was considering of removing his smirk.

This is the PRS forum and posts should relate to PRS. Understood.

In January, 2017, I decided I was going to purchase my first PRS. My wife and I were having lunch and I announced this. But the locally owned store in town is not a dealer. A while later she shows me her phone displaying the local GC inventory of PRS guitars. If you could appreciate what a technological feat this was for my wife you would be suitably impressed! We finish lunch and off to the local Guitar Center. But not before my wife announces that it's our anniversary so if I find something I like it would be her gift. I pay the lunch tab in a hurry!

We get to GC, walk in, and a kid is walking by. Me:, "Can you tell me where the PRS guitars are?". Kid, without slowing his step the least amount, "Yeah. They're on that wall", pointing in the general direction of North, and he then disappears.

I wait and wait and finally another GC employee shows up and I ask him the same question. His response, "Let me get someone to help you". That someone never showed. At this point I seriously considered standing on an amp and shouting, "If someone will help me you will get the sales credit for an expensive guitar!". I didn't. But what this delay did provide was the time for yet another technological triumph by my wife. She showed me her phone again and said that there is a guitar shop in Council Bluffs that has PRS guitars. We walked out, drove the 40 minutes across the river. The guy there, the owner, probably spent 2 hours handing me PRS guitars and I walked out with my first one.

What does the 2017 experience have to do with anything? With yesterday's experience? Because when my wife and I left the Guitar Center in 2017 I swore I would never go back there again! But yet I still did it! Memory fades with time. So I am back to my original thought.

If I ever think about going back to Guitar Center again, please shoot me. Don't kill me. Just shoot me and inflict a lot of pain. As I think about it, probably a level of pain consistent with going in a Guitar Center. I said we are a nation of laws. If I'm still alive I will testify it was a gun accident. You won't be charged.

that place is worse than circuit city. last time i was in there was to return a triple rectifier, because screw those guys.

Never again. I may buy a used PRS on line from them because they sometimes have ridiculously low prices. Although, last time I did this they shipped the guitar wrapped in bubble wrap and filled with shipping peanuts. No case, even though the add said, "original case included". I called across country and they ended up shipping it separately. On second thought, I think I'll stick to CME and the rest of the great PRS dealers!

Better yet, you need some negative stimulus to reinforce oversion to bad behavior. Every time you say the words, “Guitar Center” have your wife kick you in the crotch. Trust me, she’ll be on board with this training. After a couple slip-ups, like magic, GC will be a thing of the past.

You’re welcome. :D

Oh, and we’d love to see some pics!

I bought my PRS Hollowbody Spruce there, used, mainly because of the return policy. It turned out to be great, but overall, my assessment of GC is similar to yours.

Better yet, you need some negative stimulus to reinforce oversion to bad behavior. Every time you say the words, “Guitar Center” have your wife kick you in the crotch. Trust me, she’ll be on board with this training. After a couple slip-ups, like magic, GC will be a thing of the past.

You’re welcome. :D

Oh, and we’d love to see some pics!
I'm very hesitant to ask. Pictures of what? Never mind.

Depends on which location and which sales people. We learned early on to not waste our time with punk kids who work there. And certain locations/stores just plain suck. But being smart shoppers, we've gotten great deals on lot's of gear over the years, made full use of their awesome return policies, and had many fun hours there with sales people who are just good people. Many of them have become good friends of ours.
You have to know what they're good for and what they're not.
As for a faulty fender amp, you should contact Fender and they will direct you to an authorized repair shop..... and that's a whole other can of worms...

Had my credit card number stolen and used for "Pimp Juice" in L.A.
Credit card number changed.
Eight months later happened into the same store to get S/PDIF cables.
Had my credit card number stolen and used for an A/C installation in Michigan.
Learned my lesson.

I read stories like this about GC all of the time, so I have to assume that AT LEAST some of them are true, like this one.

I've been doing business with my local GC in Overland Park, KS, and occasionally the one in Independence, MO. Probably visited collectively both of them at least a hundred times; sometimes I buy, most often I just look, and play.

These two stores are staffed by some of the best musicians in KC, they take their profession seriously, offer great advice, and I've NEVER had a bad experience at either store. GC is my instrument sales outlet of choice, mainly because it's where I find the best deals.

Oh yes, and one more thing, I NEVER go there on a Saturday. I've heard enough of the bad covers of "Stairway" and "Sweet Child" to last several lifetimes.

Please shoot me.

I know what the outcome is going to be. I always know. And yet, every few years I go back there.... Please help me.

Many years ago I had purchased a Fender Blues, Jr. 3 amp there. The reverb went out on it so I took it back there yesterday to see if they had ideas/could help me. Doing this is no minor undertaking. My wonderful wife carried it to the car for me. We got there and she parked at the car at the curb in front of the store. I thought I could get it from the car inside. Struggling, I did manage to do so. Obviously struggling, I am met by a kid with an annoying smirk who was clearly enjoying said struggling, "We don't work on amps."

Me, "I know that but a couple years ago, I brought it in for the same thing, the Reverb was out, and someone helped me."

Kid, maintaining annoying smirk, "We don't work on amps".

Me, "I said I know that. But a nice guy named Erin fixed it for me. Is he here?"

Kid, "Erin no longer works here. We don't work on amps."

Fortunately, we are a society of laws. And, also fortunately, I considered the consequences of the different ways I was considering of removing his smirk.

This is the PRS forum and posts should relate to PRS. Understood.

In January, 2017, I decided I was going to purchase my first PRS. My wife and I were having lunch and I announced this. But the locally owned store in town is not a dealer. A while later she shows me her phone displaying the local GC inventory of PRS guitars. If you could appreciate what a technological feat this was for my wife you would be suitably impressed! We finish lunch and off to the local Guitar Center. But not before my wife announces that it's our anniversary so if I find something I like it would be her gift. I pay the lunch tab in a hurry!

We get to GC, walk in, and a kid is walking by. Me:, "Can you tell me where the PRS guitars are?". Kid, without slowing his step the least amount, "Yeah. They're on that wall", pointing in the general direction of North, and he then disappears.

I wait and wait and finally another GC employee shows up and I ask him the same question. His response, "Let me get someone to help you". That someone never showed. At this point I seriously considered standing on an amp and shouting, "If someone will help me you will get the sales credit for an expensive guitar!". I didn't. But what this delay did provide was the time for yet another technological triumph by my wife. She showed me her phone again and said that there is a guitar shop in Council Bluffs that has PRS guitars. We walked out, drove the 40 minutes across the river. The guy there, the owner, probably spent 2 hours handing me PRS guitars and I walked out with my first one.

What does the 2017 experience have to do with anything? With yesterday's experience? Because when my wife and I left the Guitar Center in 2017 I swore I would never go back there again! But yet I still did it! Memory fades with time. So I am back to my original thought.

If I ever think about going back to Guitar Center again, please shoot me. Don't kill me. Just shoot me and inflict a lot of pain. As I think about it, probably a level of pain consistent with going in a Guitar Center. I said we are a nation of laws. If I'm still alive I will testify it was a gun accident. You won't be charged.

Did you try Dietze? They're Fender authorized. I know they're a pain to get to with Center Street so messed up, but I'd walk across volcanic lava to go there instead of our Guitar Center. There's literally 1 guy that works in GC I would even bother to deal with, he's an older guy, Bob?, and he's been there since they opened.

Is it the reverb tank you're having issues with? If you want, you can borrow the tank out of my Blues JR to see if that's the issue. It a MOD tank but it should plug right into yours...you're welcome to try it.

John Jensen at https://jjguitarrepair.com/ is who I've used for repair. I've used him for an acoustic repair and was really happy how it turned out. I've also talked to him about doing a cap job on my old Peavey but I haven't got around to it yet.

Did you try Dietze? They're Fender authorized. I know they're a pain to get to with Center Street so messed up, but I'd walk across volcanic lava to go there instead of our Guitar Center. There's literally 1 guy that works in GC I would even bother to deal with, he's an older guy, Bob?, and he's been there since they opened.

Is it the reverb tank you're having issues with? If you want, you can borrow the tank out of my Blues JR to see if that's the issue. It a MOD tank but it should plug right into yours...you're welcome to try it.

John Jensen at https://jjguitarrepair.com/ is who I've used for repair. I've used him for an acoustic repair and was really happy how it turned out. I've also talked to him about doing a cap job on my old Peavey but I haven't got around to it yet.
@Lister, thanks for the response. I didn't think of Dietze for the repair. Since they aren't a PRS dealer, I wish they were, I rarely go in there anymore. Their service tech, I can't think of his name (beard and a metal guy) is really good. Since my friend, Larry Dunn, went back to full time guitar repair I use him for everything. But he doesn't work on tube amps. I am going to talk to John Jensen.

And thanks for the offer of the tank. I may take you up on it.

Had my credit card number stolen and used for "Pimp Juice" in L.A.
Credit card number changed.
Eight months later happened into the same store to get S/PDIF cables.
Learned my lesson.

I drew the short straw, they want me to ask what pimp juice is?

Learned my lesson.

Mine was stolen at a Home Depot, and used for equipment for a dental office in Texas. For real!

And I was like, “Wait, dentists use stolen credit cards?”

By the way, Tucson, we so appreciate the air conditioning. ;)

The local GC near me has pretty nice folks, and I get lots of odds and ends there, mics for the studio, etc.

But I feel badly for them, because it doesn’t look like they’re getting many customers these days.

Back