Identify this PRS color

neileusmaximus

I recently have been looking for a new guitar which will serve as my main guitar for life. I tried a few gibsons and i dont particularly like the Les Paul feel while playing. i tried an SG and it just felt cheap to me. Especially the new 2015 SG. So i decided to grab a PRS off the wall, was a 504 i believe, correct me if im wrong, and it was unreal. It felt like i was holding a 3k guitar..... and i was. It felt and played like it was worth every dollar it cost. I WANT one. :rock:

This vid originally sparked my interest because to me, its probably the most beautiful guitar ive come across. I believe its Azul, Custom 24. I just want to confirm it. Link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSxTlpxaTpU image 1 for ppl at work http://i.ytimg.com/vi/NSxTlpxaTpU/maxresdefault.jpg
image 2 for different lighting http://i.ytimg.com/vi/f70nF5QgEV0/maxresdefault.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yep, Blue Matteo. No longer in production but you can find them at times in stores NOS.

The new azul color comes close to it. Check out the 30th Anniversary Cu24 thread to see mine and judge for yourself.

Really, it's hard to tell. It could be Blue Matteo, it could be Faded Abalone, or it could be Blue Crab Blue. The pictures are under stage lighting and not color-calibrated, so we're all just guessing, really.

Faded Abalone is a little more green than Blue Matteo, and Blue Crab Blue is a little darker.

The good news is that if you like one of those colors, you'd probably be OK with any of them.

I'm not sure what year faded abalone was made available, but blue crab blue has only been around a few years now. The guitar in the video has old birds meaning it was made before the switch to outline birds in early 2008, it's got the old control layout with McCarty switching and old PRS knobs that they switched to lampshades in the 2007-08 period. The tuners don't have wings, so that means this guitar was most likely made in the 2002-07 period. Blue Matteo was widely available during that time. I don't recall anything called faded abalone during that time and I know for sure blue crab blue was not available yet.

I'm not sure what year faded abalone was made available, but blue crab blue has only been around a few years now. The guitar in the video has old birds meaning it was made before the switch to outline birds in early 2008, it's got the old control layout with McCarty switching and old PRS knobs that they switched to lampshades in the 2007-08 period. The tuners don't have wings, so that means this guitar was most likely made in the 2002-07 period. Blue Matteo was widely available during that time. I don't recall anything called faded abalone during that time and I know for sure blue crab blue was not available yet.

That's some Class A detective skills right there :tongue:

Regardless, a beautiful guitar for sure! Good luck in your search!

I'm with John Beef. Blue Matteo is a likely color, and the guitar is not a recent model based on the toggle switch and old birds. Unless it is a recent stealth PS made to look like an older model... ;)

Also keep in mind Blue Matteo can look very different, depending on the type of wood to which it is applied, and how heavily the stain is applied. Google for PRS Blue Matteo, and you'll get photos that look like the CU22 linked above, or guitars that look like my SAS:

IMG_4342_1024_zps6yunyn6j.jpg

Back