ID and ?'s about repair

Gonzo

I bought this baby used back in 99' for a steal. She's taken some serious abuse over the years. I called PRS awhile back and they couldn't give me a definitive answer and I think the guy thought it was a custom 22, though it's been 20 years and I have a terrible memory.

What do you guys think it is?

ptD81k4.jpg

MGPlDNu.jpg

Also, it's got some significant damage. I'd love advice as to what, if anything could or should be done to address it.

XNV2UfW.jpg

kx8ryJP.jpg

eVSxn3x.jpg

WfbHIl6.jpg

KFLILKV.jpg

I'd say custom 22. Next time you restring it pull the pickups and see what the pickups are aND what the cavities have written in them.

The only damage that would even concern me is the finish crack in the headstock. Hopefully it's only in the finish and not the wood.

Does it stay in tune?

Stays in tune perfect. It's definitely only in the finish. I moved from the humid midwest to Denver which is high-desert climate and much more arid. I believe this to be the cause for that. My biggest concern is whether or not one of these things could become catastrophic. Also, is it worth investigating the cost to send back to the factory.

Mid-Late 90's Custom 22 in Dark Cherry Sunburst. What is the serial number? There will be some details written in pen on the body under the bridge pickup.

Definitely have a good luthier take a look at the headstock. If it's just finish cracks, I'd leave it.

Serial number is 836761 with a 10 near it which I believe signifies 10 top

Looks like a good old fashioned headstock crack in the timber to me. IME those are never just finish and they usually start in the timber for whatever reason, not the finish.

They are no big deal, take it to a repairman and they will glue it up for you. It won't even cost you much and then it will be stronger than ever. If they use the right glue you won't have to worry about it ever again.

My ce 22 has two cracks in it I am about to repair

Just seems to be the way with older guitars when the previous owner gives them a knock or two

Edit: I am not saying it's anything to worry about but it is a very pretty guitar and if it were me I'd have it repaired just to be safe. Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks! Anyone know what pickups came standard on these in 98?

Probably dragon ll since they are covered. Dragons were uncovered in my 96.

Awesome, thanks! I just absolutely love the tone of this guitar. The moment I played it I knew it was my #1 and I had to have it. No other guitar has ever come close for me. I'm actually selling a Les Paul because it just plays and sounds like a **** guitar next to this.

Awesome, thanks! I just absolutely love the tone of this guitar. The moment I played it I knew it was my #1 and I had to have it. No other guitar has ever come close for me. I'm actually selling a Les Paul because it just plays and sounds like a **** guitar next to this.

And there you go

Stays in tune perfect. It's definitely only in the finish. I moved from the humid midwest to Denver which is high-desert climate and much more arid. I believe this to be the cause for that. My biggest concern is whether or not one of these things could become catastrophic. Also, is it worth investigating the cost to send back to the factory.
Email PTC for a repair estimate. They might want pics but it doesn't cost anything for thst.

Back