I wish PRS made TV's

Elliot

Gandalf the Vintage Yellow
TV shopping isn't as simple as picking the one that looks great in the store anymore.

Bought a 4k E-series 55" Vizio from Best Buy and holy cow what a piece of crap. The LED backlighting is aweful. The backlighting array is only discernible when you have moving lit images on a very black screen, which they don't show you in store.

I'd take it back, but the 15-day return period is over. I went and tried to make an exception but no banana =(

I'd like to go OLED or QLED maybe.

Vizio has been a huge disappointment since 2 years after their initial product release. Best Buy is equally a disappointment (with the worst return experience around). Do your research there but buy from Amazon or anyone with a liberal return policy. Totally get your grief.

TV shopping isn't as simple as picking the one that looks great in the store anymore.

Bought a 4k E-series 55" Vizio from Best Buy and holy cow what a piece of crap. The LED backlighting is aweful. The backlighting array is only discernible when you have moving lit images on a very black screen, which they don't show you in store.

I'd take it back, but the 15-day return period is over. I went and tried to make an exception but no banana =(

Did it look good in the store? .... and not so good at home?

I understand your pain, I have a TV made by "Insignia" whoever they are, and it's well below the standard of what's out there right now, but I knew it was just OK when I bought it cause I was going the cheap route being a non-couch potato infrequent TV watcher. I guess it's best to look at the big names like Samsung, etc for a better set.

Hi Guys :)
Video Engineer here - Sony / LG / Samsung are all safe bets.
Understand that 4K monitors look best with 4K content it takes a better scaler to take a lower res signal and convert to 4K that is why a mid to lower end 4K monitor will preform poorly.
That said most monitors these days can be made to look killer I did find this that way help otherwise I would call Vizio

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/e-series-4k-2016/settings

BOOM! @Rider1260 FTW! Great advice! I have a Samsung that I got just before the 4K UHD Wave started...then the redhead insisted on a bigger TV and it had to be 4K...so I did an LG because the image looked better in the store...4K with this crappy little towns cable provider...yeah right..thanks for validating what I've been trying to explain to her for months... the heads up rider1260...you're a gentleman and a scholar! Oh and you're officially my expert witness when I drop this knowledge on her tomorrow!

Really? You want me to jones for a new tv every month or so? Have a tv for this or that movie? One for just the news or to take out to watch with my friends? Oh, and don't forget the tv for the exalted-special edition-blu-ray showing-only at home movies- for my very special friends?
Sorry. I understand the concept, but not every tv can be a SCT;).

Try plugging it into the Internet and download the most recent firmware update.

We have a Vizio tv in our bedroom and that sh!t is the dullest, darkest tv ever. I've even got it on the brightest settings and it's only like, half as vivid as our other tv's.

We're lucky though... the one great thing about globalization is the price of tv's. Ever since I helped my neighbor unbox his 65" and Phennrock making me feel inadequate about size, we've been pricing 70" ers.

When I researched earlier this year, word was that for Vizio you had to go for the M Series or higher for a good picture. It looks fantastic next to any other mid-price TV. The high end Samsung and LG look better, but the dang things were about twice the price. The M Series has been serving just fine so far. I have not been impressed by any Vizio TV until this one won me over.

We're lucky though... the one great thing about globalization is the price of tv's. Ever since I helped my neighbor unbox his 65" and Phennrock making me feel inadequate about size, we've been pricing 70" ers.

HA! LUCKY! At least your inadequacies are self imposed... The redhead shopped, picked out then demanded the 65" I bought last time. I have accepted the fact that I unknowingly married a TV Size Queen..so yeah there's that be thankful for bro...sigh..

Last edited:
HA! LUCKY! At least your inadequacies are self imposed... The redhead shopped, picked out then demanded the 65" I bought last time. I have accepted the fact that I unknowingly married a TV Size Queen..so yeah there's that be thankful for bro...sigh..

I'm psyched I give off the vibe that have the power to choose anything in my life.

Pro tip...enjoy the being psyched moments ..those are just glitches in the wife matrix...I embrace my dillusions, it's a coping mechanism...the struggle is real bro....Viva le Resistance!

Last edited:
update for anyone who's interested: Wife needed to go to Target in a nearby Indy suburb, we ended up near a Best Buy we don't usually go to. On a hunch, I asked if they would take it back assuring them we'd be exchanging, not just returning. The manager at this Best Buy was much more accommodating.

We ended up with another Vizio, P-series this time, and are much happier. I would not recommend the E-series. After spending some time in the store looking at the demo Vizios, I realized picture quality looks absolutely nothing like what we were getting. I strongly suspect Vizio has fake demo models. Other company's "affordable" demos had expectedly mediocre picture quality.

Anyway "try before you buy" didn't work out in my case.

Back