I wish dealers would post better

We really don’t need a Reverb post (or their site) copy-pasting the specs from the PRS website.

I want to see weight. Always.

And if it‘s a ”custom color,” tell me what it is!
My dealer always has a good description of the types of woods used in the guitar, which is important to know and goes beyond the PRS description; but only the shipping weight with case is listed.

In the store, you can pick it up and feel whether it's heavy or light, but buyers on the web might benefit from the info.

I've never been concerned with weight since my main concern is the sound, but if I was concerned with weight it'd be a consideration.

I don't get the weight thing but that's me. I understand it's important to some folks and that's fine but can you imagine how much work that adds up to? Let me try to illustrate - let's assume it's a small store that stocks 75 guitars at any given time. You'd have to weigh 75 guitars first, then continue to weigh every guitar that comes in. I know its a 5 min process but let's say that this same store sells 500 guitars a year. Over the course of a year thats 41 hours worth of time spent weighing guitars.

I can understand why they may not want to go to that effort. But again, the weight of a guitar isn't really critical to me.

If it is an ad from a dealer and what they have posted intrigues you and you are truly interested, call them. That is what they are there for. We don't all care about the same things. I honestly don't care what a guitar weighs. I have never had an issue with weight, even 10 lb. guitars. I am also not one that believes light guitars are better. I believe the weight isn't that big of a deal. Most double cut guitars are going to be in that 7 to 8 lb. range typically.

Almost all of my internet purchases came after a phone call to the dealer to ask specific questions about the guitar, even if they were things that were in the listing. These ads are created by humans and there have been plenty of mistakes in them. I like to verify and know what I am getting if I buy it. If I am not interested to the point of a purchase, I don't really care what is in the ad.

I would be happy with them actually being honest about the defects on used gear.. setting false expectations and then getting mad with customers who reasonably do not think "mint" includes a dent and chipped paint on a guitar body, or a truss rod that doesn't work or etc etc..

I still think we should do
Light
Medium
Heavy

For weight.

If that doesn't suit you, then tough poo.

We really don’t need a Reverb post (or their site) copy-pasting the specs from the PRS website.

Amen. As someone who buys online and cares about weight it should be in every ad. Writing a good ad isn't hard.

You'd have to weigh 75 guitars first, then continue to weigh every guitar that comes in. I know its a 5 min process but let's say that this same store sells 500 guitars a year. Over the course of a year thats 41 hours worth of time spent weighing guitars.

If it takes you more than 15 seconds to weigh it and write down the weight you're doing it wrong.

Amen. As someone who buys online and cares about weight it should be in every ad. Writing a good ad isn't hard.

If it takes you more than 15 seconds to weigh it and write down the weight you're doing it wrong.
Luckily for you, there are many ways of contacting the Dealer/Seller to ask for the weight.

I must admit: I did not really care about weight either. Until I got my very light CU22 (about 3.3 kg). It sounds great and is very comfortable. Makes my 4 kg starla feel like a boat anchor. A great sounding boat anchor, but an anchor none the less

People are generally lazy, I agree with you!

It drives me crazy when CME, who obviously knows better, doesn't post the neck carve on their Reverb ads. I know why but it still irks me.

It drives me crazy when CME, who obviously knows better, doesn't post the neck carve on their Reverb ads. I know why but it still irks me.

Bonus.. they do give measurements, which I'd rather have and the carve isn't difficult to figure out with the model and measurements.

The info I am most interested in is the weight and the "born on" date from hang tag or on back of headstock for PS. Most other information is usually available from PRS, so I fret not about neck carve and color names being listed. When I was shopping in 2021 to find my 2nd and 3rd PRSi, I wrote to a lot of dealers asking them for both bits of information. Some did not even respond to my queries for guitars in the $5 - 13K range, which I found quite confusing. Others responded with things to the effect of "it is in our warehouse and we have no way to check those specs". They made the list of dealers I am not interested in doing business with. We all have our own criteria on what we want to know, and you would think that contacting the seller would be sufficient to gather such details, but I can assure you it is not in many cases, at least not in my experience. As for taking 5 minutes to weigh each guitar, if it takes you that long to put a guitar on a scale while taking the photos for your display ad, you're fired!

As for taking 5 minutes to weigh each guitar, if it takes you that long to put a guitar on a scale while taking the photos for your display ad, you're fired!

I'm in the other camp 5 min is good time for a guitar already listed. If they did it in their presale prep and measurements that's another story. They have to pull the guitar, uncase, weigh, pic, wipedown, recase, and restore message and/or post. That sounds like more than 5 minutes to me.. Another reason for not weighing could be the over critical buyers, and let's be honest there's plenty of buyers out there that agree to a price and look for anything to get a discount or worse refund for the smallest reasons. I've had a buyer complain that their scale was .2lbs different than my luggage and body weight scale, which I disclosed. Not to forget all the string pluckers that aren't really buyers but more window shoppers or pen pals, my fav! Bottom line is if a seller doesn't or won't provide the info you are after vote with your wallets somewhere else.

Personally after years of playing LPs, most guitars are light these days in comparison and a win.

The custom color is infuriating. Or calling them the obvious wrong color. I wish they would contact their PRS rep if they had doubts.

Back