I want mini toggle switches...

Mike Duncan

DGT Player
...on my DGT, but I'm not sure why. I don't know what it is that they do other than look cool!

What is it that the mini switches do? Could I coil tap with one pickup and combine it with the other pickup in full humbucker mode? That could be kinda neat. I also am a sucker for things that look like they've been altered or modified!

You could do a setup like the Experience CU24-08 where the toggles independently tap each pickup. It's based on the 408 methodology. There's plenty of stuff you could do, but I think first you should figure out what it is that you would like the toggles to do.

Your DGT tone control already taps both pickups as you know. If you add individual mini taps, you could use the tone pot as a tone circuit switch, like a boost or a treble pickup straight to output bypass.

I once wired an SE Singlecut with 2 mini toggles that split each pickup individually and a temporary button switch that was wired as a killswitch.

Phase reverse would be another option, besides the obvious (coil tap). If all you did was coil tap, you'd only need one, (and the other one could be done by the push-pull). Or you could lose the push pull and get two.

Another thought -- and I don't know if one can do this on the DGT, is select which side of the pickup to split. It'll be an almost inaudible difference, but the DGT pickups are set up differently, so I wouldn't recommend it on the DGT. I'd recommend it more for pickups that were two single coils.

Series vs. parallel?

I have an Ibanez AR325. It has two three-way mini toggles in addition to the pickup selector. Very versatile, lots of sounds in that guitar.
IF I ever go for a custom PRS, I will keep that idea in mind. Might even be interesting to mod my 408 with such switches if I can find a way that doesn't negatively impact the existing configuration while adding some new capability.

Another thought -- and I don't know if one can do this on the DGT, is select which side of the pickup to split. It'll be an almost inaudible difference, but the DGT pickups are set up differently, so I wouldn't recommend it on the DGT. I'd recommend it more for pickups that were two single coils.

Series vs. parallel?
I don't think you can do this with DGT pickups, they'd be 3-conductor right? White coil split wire? You need the 4-conductor pickups to do this, plus DPDT on-on-on mini-toggles. I have this setup on my S2 Mira SH with 53/10s, and although you do get tonal variation, my opinion is you're better off with the regular splitting and the "resisitor mod", since you don't get as much volume drop from HB to SC.

I like the idea of a blower switch and/or series/parallel tho! Whack in another push-pull for individual coil splits, and 2 x mini-toggles for the other switching options.

I think PTC does a "signature switching" mod. I saw Modern Eagle Quattro with mini toggles once.

Another thing you can probably look into is a Seymour Duncan Triple Shot mounting ring.

While we're on the subject, I wish PRS would take a cue from David Gilmour and tidy up the looks of their mini toggle use.

This is the absolute cleanest way I've ever seen them implemented:

4003a-l.jpg

While we're on the subject, I wish PRS would take a cue from David Gilmour and tidy up the looks of their mini toggle use. This is the absolute cleanest way I've ever seen them implemented:

4003a-l.jpg

That almost requires a pickguard... and is not as amenable to "quick switching".

Back