I want an Archon but ....

SwitchStance

I want an Archon but I already have a Bogner Uberschall.
Both are 2 channel (clean/distortion) .. Maybe it's just my GAS.

The Uberschall clean aren't very impressive IMO, there's nothing to it really .. doesn't have sparkle or jangle.
Are these 2 amps very similar? I feel like the Uberschall is one of the "holy grail" amps for metal/punk.

Last edited:
I want an Archon but I already have a Bogner Uberschall.
Both are 2 channel (clean/distortion) .. Maybe it's just my GAS.

The Uberschall clean aren't very impressive IMO, there's nothing to it really .. doesn't have sparkle or jangle.
Are these 2 amps very similar? I feel like the Uberschall is one of the "holy grail" amps for metal/punk.

You can't never have too many amps!.

Unfortunately there is not one single amp out there that can have all the tones one can possible want so we are bound on buying the ones that can full fill our tone needs.

I have a lot of respect for Bogner amps, the build quality is great, the cabs are wonderful, and the OD sections are generally cool. But except for their old Metropolis model, I've never been in love with the cleans, and I've had their high end models in the studio many times.

I haven't had an Archon to play personally, but based on the clean sounds in my HXDA and DG30, I'd say it's probably worth at least finding an Archon to check out. The cleans on my amps are just superb.

I had the same problems with my JCM2000, my V3, and my Shiva. The "C" has excellent cleans and great dirt. The "H" has better modern dirt at the expense of the cleans, just like the Shiva. I found the

I'm going to have to A/B/C these "C", the "H", and the Archon...because I have to know....

The problem is I'd have to order one in which requires a deposit, I can always get it back but its still a hassel.
It would be great if a dealer had one in stock and then id put them side by side

Cleans on the Archon are fantastic. Really. I have a "few"amps, including Fenders and boutique clones. My three favorite cleans / pedal platform amps are in order:

DG30
Archon
A weird Martysnarf modded 2-Channel C head.

And if I had to pick just one amp for coverband work, it'd be the Archon as an overall gigging amp. And I don't even do metal.

While the Archon doesn't cop specific vintage tones, it works great in any genre live. Something about the bass response with the gain on the lead channel dialed back.

I have an EVH 5150 IIIS (the hand wired ltd edition version with more gain ) and the archon and there's enough daylight between them to justify having both... As you say, maybe it's the GAS talking :eek::eek:

I would really have to love it to fork out that cash since the uberschall was 3k just for the head

I have a "few"amps

Aristotle saying that is like me saying I'm a few pounds overweight!

The cleans on the two-channel C are superb. I've struggled a bit w/the dirt channel on mine, but I'm never sure if it's me or the amp.

I've never heard that the clean on the H was less than the equal of the C, but I've never played one, either. I seem to recall people saying it was as good as the C.

I had the 2 Channel H and the clean on it was great but the Archon clean has a lot more headroom. The Archon really doesn't break up at all where as the H's clean can get crunchy with the gain maxed out. I also had an Uberschall Twin Jet with 6550s. The Archon has a similar tone to the higher gain channel of the Twin Jet but I like the Archon's tone a little better. It's got more usable gain where as the TJ tended to be a little overkill and muddy if you had the gain past 6 or 7 on the dial.

Back