I took my son to college today

I took my son back to Marist for his sophomore year. Advice - Take a mental picture of your child and then compare that picture when they come back year after year, break after break. You will see a transformation from a child to an adult with the ability to reason, speak eloquently about more than farts and boners and begin to form a concept of a "future" if it is going well. To me, that is the the most gratifying part is that I / we were able to help him focus on a future while still remembering the fun we had when he was a kid. He also knows that his graduation gift to me is an old Custom 22 in "what was that verde green" color if he wants to go to law school!

I sent 2 off. I cried like a baby after dropping off the first :bawling: ; for the second one I just cried. It got a little easier. They both went to the same school; it made me feel better - they were with each other.

My youngest of three started college two weeks ago. Empty nest now. It feels weird. But I do find myself having more time to play guitar which is nice. She was ready to leave home so I'm very happy for her but it is empty around here.

Thanks everybody for sharing. It means a lot to me. I was in a pretty sad moment when I posted.

I wish we could keep our loved ones close all the time, but that would be selfish I suppose.

It feels like the family is broken up now. We were all together for the past 18 years, and now.......good by. Where did the time go? How did I end up being the father of teenagers when I barely have figure things out myself.

When you're in the middle raising children, you feel like it will last forever. I remember bringing him home from the hospital when he was first born, amazed that I was now responsible for another living being.

I will take a mental picture and watch how he changes year after year.

I have two more in middle and in high school now.

I do feel better today, and I believe is will be better tomorrow.

Thanks Les, G-Man, Charlie, dleuen

Last edited:
I can understand that for sure.

I only started playing guitar again after the third stopped playing sports. When you have kids in sports, you are not home much at all.

I can imagine the house is quiet now. And I know that feeling of them being ready to move on. My son is happy to get out. It must be natural. I wanted out myself.

Bobby Slayton once said, "Why can't it be that your kids stay with you and your wife moves out?"

My daughter graduated college, but got a job near there and still lives down there. My son is still in school, but still at home. They're both a joy to talk to - okay, most of the time. We go to a handful of hockey games every season, and my son is a veritable chatterbox at those. He's been like that since he was a little kid - at 4 and 5 he was making better observations about the games than most of the adults around us. My wife laughs because he'll text me constantly if I go to the game with his sister (it drives his sister nuts), and if he goes to a game without me, my phone buzzes constantly.

Yeah, it's rough because we remember so much of when they were little, but it's a journey for them, too.

Bobby Slayton once said, "Why can't it be that your kids stay with you and your wife moves out?"

Oh, that is too funny :D. I told my wife that comment and she laughed.

My daughter graduated college, but got a job near there and still lives down there. My son is still in school, but still at home. They're both a joy to talk to - okay, most of the time. We go to a handful of hockey games every season, and my son is a veritable chatterbox at those. He's been like that since he was a little kid - at 4 and 5 he was making better observations about the games than most of the adults around us. My wife laughs because he'll text me constantly if I go to the game with his sister (it drives his sister nuts), and if he goes to a game without me, my phone buzzes constantly.

Yeah, it's rough because we remember so much of when they were little, but it's a journey for them, too.

Sounds like you have a great relationship with your kids.

It's funny how my son moving out caused me to have so many flashbacks of being with him at different times of his life. I suppose as long as he was at home it didn't strike me how much life has changed over the years. Memories came conversationally. Moving out marks a new chapter in our families life.

Thanks for sharing,

Alan

We drove my some to college today. I am very happy for him and vicariously feel his excitement. But, my heart is broken......I hated to say good by. I remember running down hills with him when he was just a little boy. I remember everything.....
My wife cried for two days when my daughter went to college. It was bad, like she had moved away or something.

No new guitars for you for 4 years. 2 of my 3 daughters went to college. Missed them when they were away, but man was the house peaceful. LOL

Back