I think I did some damage to my fretboard while cleaning it.

Dutchpower

Hey guys. I have a PRS SE 245. I got it from guitar store and I assume it was hanging there for quite a while before I took it home because the fretboard as very dirty (probably from people playing it over the years).

So I bought some Dunlop 01 and 02 and applied it during a changing of strings. I think I overdid a bit and now the fretboard looks dull and feels rough to the touch.

How can I fix this problem?

If you just used the 01 and 02, and applied it gently, not using anything abrasive, etc., I think it will all work out. Perhaps the wood grain swelled a bit, causing the rough feel, and needs some time to fully recover. Can you post a couple of pics?

If the problem persists, don't hesitate to contact PRS. If it was a new guitar, it's under warranty!

It's not a new guitar (bought in 2013 and was in the store for a long time). But it was my back up guitar for a while until I decided I really like 24.5 scale better than my other guitar.

Here are some pictures.

http://imgur.com/a/jg3JT

Hmm, nothing jumps out at me as being wrong in those pictures. When did you do it?

I think around October last year. I also thought it just needed to sit for a while and it would improve again. But it didn't. I have another rosewood guitar and that fretboard looks way different than my PRS.

Nothing looks wrong in those pictures in fact it still looks a bit dry to me have you tried fretboard oil ( I use gibson but PRS and others work also )
The Dunlop 001 is a cleaner and I have not tried the 002 conditioner.
I would oil the board again if still not to your liking I have used 3000 grit sandpaper to smooth spots on my rosewood necked guitars with great success or PTC is always a great way to go

Nothing looks wrong in those pictures in fact it still looks a bit dry to me have you tried fretboard oil ( I use gibson but PRS and others work also )
The Dunlop 001 is a cleaner and I have not tried the 002 conditioner.
I would oil the board again if still not to your liking I have used 3000 grit sandpaper to smooth spots on my rosewood necked guitars with great success or PTC is always a great way to go

I used plenty of 002. I wonder if I even used too much to be honest. I'll try to get my hands on some oil then. Because it's still pretty noticeable to me when I missed a bend (the fretboard snags my finger).

Could also be that I need to go to 010. I'm still using 009 on my PRS because I can't figure out how intonnate the bridge lol.

I think that you have "cleaned" the natural oils out of that fretboard. At the same time, you have "raised" the grain on the FB. Rosewood is considered an open pored wood and I see white deposits down into the pores that are left over from the products you used.

I would deep clean the FB with lighter fluid and a soft toothbrush and then knock off the raised grain with steel wool or micromesh and then oil it up like crazy. I use "Bore Oil" which was originally developed for ebony flutes and fifes. My daughter played oboe and the "Bore Oil" is what I used on it ( an ebony oboe is a very expensive instrument). It costs more than grocery store stuff and , frankly, it is better than most guitar specific products out there. However, a little goes quite a ways so it doesn't wreck your wallet.

;-) this may be common sense but I did it so a grain of salt. If you do use a toothbrush to attack the white in the pores or the gunk, make sure it is brand new and never used orally. Tooth paste residue is the dickens on a board and leaves a sticky gunky mess that requires you clean it all up after you "clean" it. Live and learn...;-) I've had very good luck on all my rose boards no matter the mark using Dr. Ducks Axe Wax, but when they tell you a little goes a long way, best to believe them.

Back