I think I am. ....

Steve's addiction

To a point that I have had that aha moment and am a good guitar player. Not great but good. Things are coming easier to learn and I'm very relaxed when I play. Beginning to feel like I finally deserve what I own. It's been a long journey but we'll worth it. Still struggle with timing though. If I get that down pat I might be really good. Thanks for letting me ramble

That's a great moment in a guitarists journey. A memorable one for me was when I found that my ear had developed to the point where I could play along with most any non-jazz song after fiddling with notes, and then chords, until I could find the progression. That's when I really fell in love with playing.

I remember when I was just starting. I was a "beginner". Then I progressed to being a "new player". After a while I got "pretty good". Then I got "good".

And then I realized I was "not that good"; which quickly became "ugh".

Now, I've been playing for 20 years. I've taken private lessons with jazz guys. I've worked through lots of finger style exercises (I am a decent Travis picker), I'm taking lessons from a very accomplished rock/jazz guitarist. I've picked up a good deal of music theory along the way. I've released CDs (to no acclaim), I've played live countless times as both a soloist and as part of a group.

Turns out, I'm still a "beginner".

I got to the point where I no longer worried about what people might think about what I was doing trying guitars in a music store. Not because I got good...I just figured I’d never see them again so what they thought didn’t matter.

I can’t speak to the playing in music stores thing, but I got to the point where as long as I got enough time during a session to try out a few ideas, I wasn’t too shy to do what I felt like.

I’m still a better keyboard player than guitar player, but turns out that doesn’t seem to be an issue.

I echo dcm’s comment! I always feel like a “beginner”!

But as long as I’m having fun, as Dave said, that’s all that matters.

I’ve worked for pay for several years, taken a decent break and came back to guitar a few years ago. I prefer rhythm to solo work, but long to improvise more comfortably!

Then the vocals come into the equation and I think I enjoy singing just as much as I do playing! What a dilemma!

For whatever reason if you listen to most interviews with pros they feel like beginners themselves. We all know how good they are but they feel they should/could be better. I guess that means we are better than we think but not as good as we will be. I've learned I don't have to play as good as (fill in name), I just have to be as good as I am capable of being.

I’ve never been a music store player that will dazzle with all my hot licks and crazy riffs. I sound pretty damn good with my band though. After I realized that songwriting and arrangement hold a lot more weight for what I do, I concentrated more on those things rather than being an impressive player on my own. Don’t get me wrong, there’s plenty of things I want to improve on personally.

I’ve never been a music store player that will dazzle with all my hot licks and crazy riffs. I sound pretty damn good with my band though. After I realized that songwriting and arrangement hold a lot more weight for what I do, I concentrated more on those things rather than being an impressive player on my own. Don’t get me wrong, there’s plenty of things I want to improve on personally.

100% agree. I enjoy playing leads but much prefer to be known as a rhythm master than a shredder. Still working on it but getting closer.

100% agree. I enjoy playing leads but much prefer to be known as a rhythm master than a shredder. Still working on it but getting closer.

Same here. I realized a long time ago that I'm better when I play to the song rather than trying to be technically impressive.

I do love playing passages in styles other than they were originally done when I'm trying gear out. I once made a guy do that dog head twist when I was playing the solo from "I Don't Know" as a slow blues. He just had a look like, "Wait...what...is that...?"

I got to the point where I no longer worried about what people might think about what I was doing trying guitars in a music store. Not because I got good...I just figured I’d never see them again so what they thought didn’t matter.

I hate playing in guitar stores, and I hate having a salesman hover while I'm trying something out. As soon as somebody stops to watch or listen, I'll forget how the d@mn song goes, it's beyond mental at this point!

Back