I Think I’m A Size Queen Now.

I think it I said it's in another thread, but my poor cu24 is very neglected these days.
I even considered selling it, but Paul Gilbert signed it for me a few year's back, so I guess I'm keeping it.

It's not so much discomfort, rather an unfamiliar feel that takes too long to get used to.

#firstWorldProblems right here

Last edited:
What’d you do with the skinny ones?

If you need to stay warm this winter, I found skinny neck guitars to be excellent firewood. They’re very useful for that purpose!

I like the fatter necks for the tone, the thin ones don’t cramp my hands much. It’s all about the sound.

The idea of setting a $4000 guitar on fire is actually a lot of fun, and well worth the lost investment! Just remember to remove the metal hardware, because it doesn’t burn well. I wish I had a video of the guitars I’ve burned in the fireplace.

“You’ve never burned a guitar in the fireplace, you sell them.”

“Shut up.”

“OK, but you’re an A-hole liar.”

“Yes, I know.”

Last edited:
I used to be obsessed over trying to get the same neck back in the 90s before they were cut so closely the same. My 1990 custom 24 had such a thin wide thin that I could never find another one like it. It was my favorite. But now I’ve learned to play diverse sizes of necks. I find the subtleties make me play a little different but they’re not to the point where anything would cramp me up or hurt my thumb. I don’t own any of the newer style white thin necks so I can attest to that. I like the neck on my Westy but it is definitely fatter than my Santana retro or my Santana private stock which has more of a soft V. I play well on any of them. When it comes to sound and pickups I am really obsessed with the Westy. They sound really awesome dirty so I tend to really dig in. Don’t forget the shorter scales on the Santana and Westy models really helped make playing easier also.

I like the regular carve on my 513 and the pattern car for the brushstroke 24 and my Paul’s guitars.

I've played thin necks my whole life until I bought an Agile with a wide neck. Then I got the PRS SE wide neck and confirmed this is my favorite. I have big and wide fingers so I enjoy the extra real estate. I'm fortunate in that the thin necks don't bother me at all so I'm good to go with just about anything. I prefer a wide neck though and will always gravitate to those these days...it just won't prevent me from buying a thin necked guitar if it talks to me.

I like dealing with wide fat necks except in a boxing ring.
4436347390_14933f6c8d.jpg

Call me the contrarian of the forum but W/T is where I live.

Mind you, thin in PRS language isn't Ibanez/ESP shredder thin, which is only built for pretending you're Joe Satriani or Malmsteen, it's a bit more versatile than that, so hearing you guys get cramping on anything less than a W/F makes me scratch my head. (... but I'll take your words for it.)

That said, I had my prize HB converted to W/F from W/T at the PTC years ago, and like stainless steel frets ..... no turning back.

You should be careful - if you namaste too long, you could drown. That's why I Ohmmmmmmm...
I can't
You should be careful - if you namaste too long, you could drown. That's why I mediterranean the house. Ohmmmmmmm...
I can't mediterranean the house any more cuz Caspian the friendly ghost keeps interrupting me:mad:

I never had a problem with different neck profiles in the past, and I mean, it’s still not a problem really but... the big ones are just more pleasurable I guess.

What I don’t get is how thinner necks are somehow “faster” to some people. I’m not a “shredder” anymore, but may have fallen under that title in the past and... I can still play way too many notes at an almost unmusical tempo on the big ones.

Back