I think about S2 pickguards a lot.

sergiodeblanc

Admittedly, I spend too much time thinking about guitars, and I think that the one thing that holds me back from the S2’s are pick guards.

The shapes will grow on me, as it takes a bit of time for my brain to assimilate to any new design I haven’t been looking at my entire life, but sometimes I look at these guitars and wonder if I’d be powerless to buy one if the look was on point.

Example: Some dude was selling a Sea Foam Green Starla with a white pick guard swapped out for the black one. Totally softened the look and turned it into a cuter, more delicate, and joyful looking guitar. The same thing happened with a old Mira X in Grandma Hannon Pink with a white guard. I went from not considering that model to going back on Reverb and looking at it a few times a week until it sold (for a relatively higher price than others).

Of course I realize that it’s entirely possible to get a custom ordered pick guard made, and that color coordination is a personal and subjective thing but..... for a company that is so renowned for making beautiful guitars, I kinda feel like they’re missing out a bit on jazzing these suckers up.

For instance, the Antique White S2 Studio with the tortoise guard is gorgeous. Probably the closest I’ve come to really getting a guitar boner over an S2. And don’t tell anyone this but, the blue-ish one with a white guard looks pretty good to (not for me of course, but it’d look good on you).

I guess I’m sayin’ I just wish there were some more colors out there already put on these guitars, or that they’d at least switch the ones they’ve got up a bit. I wanna be in on the meeting where they decided that all Egyptian Gold guitars got black guards and Champagne Gold gets white, white guitars get black or tortoise guards, but never white.. etc. Y’all do “sprayers choice”, I say you roll out the “assemblers choice” initiative. There has got to be an S2 employee that took an art or fashion class, right?

Here’s a free one, it falls under my 1-800-IDEAS-4-U heading: Gold Anodized pick guard on the S2 Starla and Vela. Take some of that Jazzmaster money from Fender. It’s a solid, time tested look that’ll tell potential buyers what vibe the guitars are supposed to give them, just like how y’all do/did with gold top and burst SC’s and tri-burst DC3’s.

Anyhow, those are just my thoughts from my bathroom in the PRS Department of Glamour.

I00LmV3.jpg

Edit: I’m not trying to be critical or mean spirited, and I’m just sharing my goofy thoughts on the subject, and daring PRS to make me buy an S2.

Last edited:
I agree on the white and blue models looking great. Maybe not on the arousal aspect, but perhaps I just haven't given that enough thought.

It’s more of a “guitar boner” than an actual boner, if you know what I mean.

I’m pretty tempted by that guitar.

Personally, I think that PRS' weakest spot is their inability to be "creative" with colors/pickguard color options. I have had many dudes comment on the coolness of my S2 Standards, but then ask if PRS makes replacement 'guards. Even my Brent Mason would do SOOOOOO much better with other possible 'guard colors than black. It's too bad, because given a wider color palette and more customizable pickguard options, the S2s could tackle the "classic" guitar crowd better....

Right? And they’re so f@cking brilliant in everything else they do.

I love the "rock-n-roll" vibe of the Standards, but get annoyed by the lack of colors - and the influx of "satin" finishes. I got one of the Satin Aqua Singlecut Standards, stripped it, wet sanded it with 5000 grit paper, and hand rubbed it until it had some shine. People go NUTS over that guitar and ask where they can get one. When I tell them it was a limited color and what I did to it they are bummed.

Candy red with mint, or gold anodized. Lake Placid Blue with parchment....shoot, just make parchment and mint guard available!!! People would buy them, lol. Offer the colors - pull some classic "F" colors from over the years and you'd have that line explode, IMO. There are a lot of working musicians I have come across over the last 2-3 years of gigging the PRS' that gravitate toward the S2 Standard line. Usually I'll bring a "pretty" PRS and an S2 as a backup. Conversations start, dudes ask about the guitars, then quickly move over to the S2 and REALLY start talking about "that one". Lol, I even had one guy once say:

"Dude, I don't care about that wood-looking one. Tell me about the blue one with the pickguard!"

I am guessing PRS' sales data doesn't demonstrate that the numbers are there to justify adding much to the S2 Standard line, but it would be nice.

I love the "rock-n-roll" vibe of the Standards, but get annoyed by the lack of colors - and the influx of "satin" finishes. I got one of the Satin Aqua Singlecut Standards, stripped it, wet sanded it with 5000 grit paper, and hand rubbed it until it had some shine. People go NUTS over that guitar and ask where they can get one. When I tell them it was a limited color and what I did to it they are bummed.

Candy red with mint, or gold anodized. Lake Placid Blue with parchment....shoot, just make parchment and mint guard available!!! People would buy them, lol. Offer the colors - pull some classic "F" colors from over the years and you'd have that line explode, IMO. There are a lot of working musicians I have come across over the last 2-3 years of gigging the PRS' that gravitate toward the S2 Standard line. Usually I'll bring a "pretty" PRS and an S2 as a backup. Conversations start, dudes ask about the guitars, then quickly move over to the S2 and REALLY start talking about "that one". Lol, I even had one guy once say:

"Dude, I don't care about that wood-looking one. Tell me about the blue one with the pickguard!"

I am guessing PRS' sales data doesn't demonstrate that the numbers are there to justify adding much to the S2 Standard line, but it would be nice.

I think we should decide two additional colors they need to do. I vote gold for one.

I think we should decide two additional colors they need to do. I vote gold for one.

Oh, a gold anodized pickguard would be AMAZING! That even looks good on sunburst. I had a strat done that way once - 3 color 'burst and a gold guard. it was KILLER (in appearance, lol).

So, yeah - I vote gold too.....

Then, I am gonna toss Mint Green in there. I would also dig AGED Pearloid.....

Oh, a gold anodized pickguard would be AMAZING! That even looks good on sunburst. I had a strat done that way once - 3 color 'burst and a gold guard. it was KILLER (in appearance, lol).

So, yeah - I vote gold too.....

Then, I am gonna toss Mint Green in there. I would also dig AGED Pearloid.....

Gold and mint it is. I’ll submit my proposal by the end of the day.

First time I saw a picture of one of the black singlecut satin standards, I was floored. Don’t like pickguards at all, but on that guitar it just freaking works. Same with the reclaimed Vela - I vastly prefer the Vela over the CE and the pickguard played a big role in that. Guess I only like PRS pickguards...

Pickguards are Ace, make changing out pickups a breeze, plus they give it that straty air

Soon they'll be a good aftermarket and can creative easier. Thinking about getting my daughter to do a teenage dragon on mine :)

S2s are also the only way ill get a 1 piece top, lovin the hog

Back