I Sort Of Feel Bad Selling My R8

I've sold a few PRS that I regret ...namely my 594 thinline that shot up in price...and I had a special vela semi hollow that I replaced with a vela solid body but I regret not keeping it...ill have to replace the thinline eventually, until then I'm gonna feel bad about it lol
I have only 5 PRS electrics here. That leaves me with 31 regrets for sales of guitars I shoulda, woulda, coulda hung onto.

I know, 'no regrets' is a thing. And I have no excuses. Therefore, I have many regrets.

Sergio says, "Only buy, never sell." If I'd followed that advice, I'd have been a lot smarter. I wish there was a Wayback Machine, where I could tell myself not to do it. Though that might violate all the comic book restrictions of meeting yourself in time travel... ;)

I had a gorgeous R9 and a 'road warrior' R8. I finally realized that at almost 9.5 lbs each, they had become basically unplayable to me. Out they went and PRS came in - a McCarty 594 HBII, a CU24 Ten Top, and a CU22 Semi-Hollow. Then got an SS SE and a DGT SE. Never looked back even once. Bye bye Gibbers!

I had a gorgeous R9 and a 'road warrior' R8. I finally realized that at almost 9.5 lbs each, they had become basically unplayable to me. Out they went and PRS came in - a McCarty 594 HBII, a CU24 Ten Top, and a CU22 Semi-Hollow. Then got an SS SE and a DGT SE. Never looked back even once. Bye bye Gibbers!
How do you like the DGT SE?? Its very affordable...I have 4 S2s at the moment and would love to add an affordable PRS with a different vibe!!

How do you like the DGT SE?? Its very affordable...I have 4 S2s at the moment and would love to add an affordable PRS with a different vibe!!
I love it! Well, except for those ugly knobs, but I'm swapping them out for amber lampshades. I wanted a Core DGT, but for now this one will fill that slot nicely. I'm guessing that the pickups are about 90-95% of the Core version, the neck pickup might even be better.

Ive bought an traded/sold so many guitars thru the years
Half the fun is the hunt!
But as far as regret theres alot of guitars i wish i had kept
I think a few of the guitars that i didnt warm up to were above my skill set at the time of ownership also,i look back thinking,”Man if i only had that guitar now”
But ya gota give to get sometimes in this life
I try to hold on to the good ones nowdays if at all possible and i think im soild right now in my meager collection
Now amps is a different story,,,but like i tell the wife,”You cant play golf with one club”

I have a 1965 SG Special. Or should I say, did have one, because it's now with my son in LA. I have had absolutely no interest in it since buying my first PRS in 1991. He likes it. Fine, it lives there.

Yeah, classic guitar and all that blah-blah bullsh!t. Spent many years with LPs in the '70s. Lots of people have asked over the years, "But don't you prefer the sound of a Les Paul?"

F^ck no.

If I did, I'd buy one. I can buy whatever guitars I need for projects I make money on. But I choose PRS for their tone, their playability, and features.
Boy, I can relate, I had a beautiful LP, even though I “cherry picked” it, and it truly was nice and sounded beautiful, un. till I got my first PRS and it just stayed in the case. I would like to find some of the rarer, not so common models that Gibson has produced over the years, but at this time I own no Gibsons. When I watch some of these cats wielding an SG or LP, do I say “ I miss mine “….

No, inspiration at times sure, but not for another Gibson. I am just satisfied with the place that my PRS take me.

I have a bunch of guitars that I never play. They are all nice guitars and play great. I am finally to the point in life where I am feeling like I need to move them on. I am the only guitar player in the family that really cares for them. When I move on, they will not be loved like they are today so I feel like I need to thin them down to the ones I like the most and play the most. None have actually left yet but it will happen soon. I hope I don't have any regrets for the thinning. I sold a couple of Teles off several years ago. I ended up replacing them with ones I like better. I am hoping that doesn't happen with the rest of these. If it does, it will be expensive.

I sort of have the same problem...but reversed.

326171252_872496934068947_274547947198320804_n.jpg

I wonder if Clapton feels this way about his Blackie strat or the other hundred he sold off a few years ago...lol

I had a 68RI that sounded awesome, but we didn't get along in the ergonomics department. I miss it, but it would have been a waste for me to keep it and never play it.

I love my 2 PRS guitars and they are better finished than my Gibson stuff, but my R8 isn’t going anywhere.

you know how you can spend years searching for an exceptional Gibson - one that has superb tone as well as great fit-and-finish? well, i've had my R8 for about 8 years and it is fantastic as far as guitars go but i just don't play it. Essentially, it just hangs on my wall like a trophy that demonstrates that I found a great one and acquired it, like when you visit a tourist attraction and buy a t-shirt that you never wear. Anytime I'm looking for what it does sonically I just grab my 594, and the PRS just feels better to me. Anyone else have similar experiences moving a trophy?
Had that same feeling about an R9 I owned after I got my 594 - sold off the R9 at a nice little profit, picked up a LP Studio with a very nice neck, put a Jim Wagner "American Steel" set in it and never looked back.

Back