I Sort Of Feel Bad Selling My R8

watelessness

you know how you can spend years searching for an exceptional Gibson - one that has superb tone as well as great fit-and-finish? well, i've had my R8 for about 8 years and it is fantastic as far as guitars go but i just don't play it. Essentially, it just hangs on my wall like a trophy that demonstrates that I found a great one and acquired it, like when you visit a tourist attraction and buy a t-shirt that you never wear. Anytime I'm looking for what it does sonically I just grab my 594, and the PRS just feels better to me. Anyone else have similar experiences moving a trophy?

I have a sentimental attachment to this
CK_135LesPaul.JPG

But enjoy playing this more
CK_100SingleCutBodyAAA.JPG

Yes. I had to sell my '63 Strat that I'd owned for almost 40 years because I had some medical bills that were piling up and I just didn't have the savings or income to pay them. I made enough to pay those bills and had enough left over to build a Strat from a Mark Jenny body and neck and Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups to sort of take its place.

But now I have a Silver Sky and it's become my #1. I just love it. It plays better than my '63 ever did and although it doesn't sound exactly the same it's plenty close enough! Great guitar.

And recently, I bought a second one!

Last edited:
Yes. I had to sell my '63 Strat that I'd owned for almost 40 years because I had some medical bills that were piling up and I just didn't have the savings or income to pay them. I made enough to pay those bills and had enough left over to build a Strat from a Mark Jenny body and neck and Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups to take its place

But now I have a Silver Sky and it's become my #1. I just love it. It plays better than my '63 ever did and although it doesn't sound exactly the same it's plenty close enough! Great guitar.
Sorry to hear, that must have sucked having to see that go but needs are needs!

you know how you can spend years searching for an exceptional Gibson - one that has superb tone as well as great fit-and-finish? well, i've had my R8 for about 8 years and it is fantastic as far as guitars go but i just don't play it. Essentially, it just hangs on my wall like a trophy that demonstrates that I found a great one and acquired it, like when you visit a tourist attraction and buy a t-shirt that you never wear. Anytime I'm looking for what it does sonically I just grab my 594, and the PRS just feels better to me. Anyone else have similar experiences moving a trophy?
Never had an R8, but did have a perfect Standard from 2013 with an odd (for Gibson) quilted top that I thought was one of the best. Sold it when I got the 594 for the same reasons you’re experiencing. I didn’t think I would, but I did.

I‘ve been considering a sell-off of quite a few guitars, and about a half-dozen amps, some I think of as never sell. Having sold some guitars that I later quite regretted keeps me in the “thinking about it” mode, though. I don’t need the money at the moment, and they aren’t hurting anything keeping the music room looking musical, so no hurry. As you’d expect, when I do pick one up to check it out before listing I always end up saying to myself “this is awesome, why would you sell it?” Then back in its place it goes. I’m hopeless that way.

If it’s a killer Gibson, and you don’t need to sell it, I’d hang in there until you’re certain. It’s always cost me more to re-acquire regretted sold instruments than it did to get them the first time!

Yeah…. At the time Jupiter, didn’t play very much, but then ended up missing it. That’s why I bought a different LE Redwood cust24 I play very often now. Just want to point out the other side of things. I know you’re talking about a R8 Gibson, Les Paul that is the right one, or is it? If you never play it….than move for something special you really want. I just moved a few guitars to acquire a PRS 594 Private Stock with a pattern thin neck carve that I really bond with I don’t care for the pattern vintage neck carves. But, I sacrificed sone very nice instruments to obtain something extremely special to me. So, if you’re going to give up the R8, make sure it’s something really special.

Anytime I'm looking for what it does sonically I just grab my 594, and the PRS just feels better to me. Anyone else have similar experiences moving a trophy?
Yup, I'd bet many here have gone through that dilemma.

I find LPs to be like that ... appealing with a great sound, but a great predictable sound, almost boring. While most PRSs can still get those sounds but also offer so much more ... they're just more fun to play. That's why you instinctively reach for your PRS much more often.

I once owned 6 - 7 Historic LPs at once, now I own one, with four killer PRSs that I really look forward to playing, and am much happier with my collection. And BTW, I still love the one LP I kept and will never sell it, even though it still spends most of its time in the case. ;)

Yeah…. At the time Jupiter, didn’t play very much, but then ended up missing it. That’s why I bought a different LE Redwood cust24 I play very often now. Just want to point out the other side of things. I know you’re talking about a R8 Gibson, Les Paul that is the right one, or is it? If you never play it….than move for something special you really want. I just moved a few guitars to acquire a PRS 594 Private Stock with a pattern thin neck carve that I really bond with I don’t care for the pattern vintage neck carves. But, I sacrificed sone very nice instruments to obtain something extremely special to me. So, if you’re going to give up the R8, make sure it’s something really special.

there are three people on the planet who are happy that you got rid of Jupiter: Matt and Tom at Parkway Music, and I, who currently orbits Jupiter.

I have a 1965 SG Special. Or should I say, did have one, because it's now with my son in LA. I have had absolutely no interest in it since buying my first PRS in 1991. He likes it. Fine, it lives there.

Yeah, classic guitar and all that blah-blah bullsh!t. Spent many years with LPs in the '70s. Lots of people have asked over the years, "But don't you prefer the sound of a Les Paul?"

F^ck no.

If I did, I'd buy one. I can buy whatever guitars I need for projects I make money on. But I choose PRS for their tone, their playability, and features.

I've sold a few PRS that I regret ...namely my 594 thinline that shot up in price...and I had a special vela semi hollow that I replaced with a vela solid body but I regret not keeping it...ill have to replace the thinline eventually, until then I'm gonna feel bad about it lol

Back