I really don't need it

mojo1fan

....but I really don't need most of the stuff I own, right?

I've been on a search, for quite a while, for a Les Paul Jr type guitar. I'd love to own an actual LP Jr, that wasn't TV yellow, that was under $1K. Haven't found that yet. My 2nd choice (actually 1B) would be an SE Singlecut Soapbar, or an SE One. I've got a thinline T-type that has P90s and I really like the way it sounds, but I also love the way a PRS SE with a wide-fat neck feels and plays, as well as how the singlecut hangs on a strap. It works for me.

Fast forward to yesterday when I learned of a Cherry Red SE One that is supposedly in great condition for $299. That's about half what they're typically going for on Rebay or Everb. It's a couple of hours away but as luck would have it we're going to that town tomorrow morning.

Gee....what should I do?

I've been on a search, for quite a while, for a Les Paul Jr type guitar. I'd love to own an actual LP Jr, that wasn't TV yellow, that was under $1K. Haven't found that yet. My 2nd choice (actually 1B) would be an SE Singlecut Soapbar, or an SE One. I've got a thinline T-type that has P90s and I really like the way it sounds, but I also love the way a PRS SE with a wide-fat neck feels and plays, as well as how the singlecut hangs on a strap. It works for me.

Fast forward to yesterday when I learned of a Cherry Red SE One that is supposedly in great condition for $299. That's about half what they're typically going for on Rebay or Everb. It's a couple of hours away but as luck would have it we're going to that town tomorrow morning.

Gee....what should I do?

Looking forward to tomorrow's NGD post!;)

Gee....what should I do?

And that's how you post a rhetorical question.

I could argue that I didn't need to buy any PRS guitars that I have acquired over the past few years. I am just a home player these days and my 30+yr old Washburn Electro-Acoustic could have been sufficient for me. I didn't 'need' an electric. However, after buying my first, a 2016 PRS McCarty 594, every subsequent guitar was 'unnecessary' - I have an Acoustic and an Electric so why do I need more electrics - especially in such a small apartment where space and volume are an issue.

I didn't need a 509 despite the fact that this offered a lot of tonal options that my 594 wasn't able to offer and multiple instruments in one. My Custom 24 wasn't 'needed' although this still offered me a unique palette of tonal qualities that my other 2 electrics didn't provide. I didn't need my Hollowbody ii either but the sound and feel was so intoxicating and the piezo, whether blended in or used on its own gave me more unique options - I also couldn't think of a better Christmas, New Years and Easter present to myself but I didn't 'need' it. My most recent purchase, my Limited Edition PRS Special semi-hollow wasn't 'needed' either. The range of tonal options this offered certainly added to my collection, expanded my palette of sounds to paint music with but I could of made do without. The beauty of those tones as well as its looks and the fact that being a Limited Edition, I could miss out on those was an incentive to buy but I didn't need to buy it.

Being a home player, not a gigging musician or even a musician who relies on tools to make their living, means that none of my guitars were actually 'needed'. At most, 1 could suffice to bring the enjoyment of playing music for my own benefit and no-one else, but in the whole scheme of things I didn't need to buy any core PRS guitars at all and could of just settled for a cheap alternative - maybe an SE, even just the standard SE, not a custom SE.

Whilst I don't technically need my guitars as such, there is no way I would want to be without them either. I can argue I need them all to facilitate my enjoyment of playing a variety of instruments to suit any mood or tonal quality I want. The fact that they are all different enough to add something to my collection, to my tonal palette, is a way I can justify the cost and the fact that I don't play gigs or play for others benefit means that I don't feel pressured to get certain instruments - like a Strat or a Tele - because its only me that I have to please. I don't need a strat to play Hendrix, SRV or Gilmore to get their sound to please an audience and can play them on ANY of my guitars if I want. I decide if I need to buy a Guitar and how I justify spending my money is not up for debate. If someone else feels they need to add more guitars, sell items etc that's up to them and their own situation.

Gee....what should I do?
You
Say
YES!!

A One is The One. Make it yours.

I will get to fondle the beast in three hours or so. It's going to have to be in great shape for me to pull the trigger. If I get it, I'll post about it tonight.

I will fondle the beast for at least three hours, or until the seller calls the cops...whichever comes first. It's going to be in great shape, and I will pull the trigger, without question. WHEN I get it, I'll post several pictures, tonight.

I took the liberty of correcting your post, sir.

You're welcome!
;)

Back