I put PRS guts into an ESP LTD.

supergoat94

I impulse bought an ESP LTD MH-17 Seven string guitar a few months back. I had been wanting to try one out and didn't want to drop the money for a SVN when I wasn't sure I'd like playing an extended range guitar. So I found this one for $200 at Guitar Center and bought it. It actually plays great, but the pickups and electronics are cheap, as expected given the price. They sound just ok clean and very muddy with distortion.

So I bought a set of PRS SE seven string pickups from Reverb. I installed the bridge pickup and then tested it out and it sounded great. It's a hotter pickup than what was in there. Cleans are crystal clear and dirty tones are clearer and have a nicer crunch to them.

However the stock LTD electronics were garbage. The guitar always has a hum/buzz to it and the hotter pickup really amplified that. I discovered that it's because they didn't add a ground wire from the factory between the bridge and volume pot. The hole is there, but no wire. Also the tone knob was giving me issues.

So I ordered a drop in kit from PRS for the custom 24 with blade switch. I had to enlarge the holes for the pots to come through but otherwise it all fit. It's a tight fit, but it fits. I installed a set of SE knobs I had laying around and tested it out.

No more hum, the knobs feel great and it sounds very good now.

Some pics of the work in progress. I have not installed the neck pickup yet as the LTD height screws don't fit the PRS pickups so I'm waiting for some to arrive. I also have a set of black metal knobs coming soon to replace the SE ones I popped on.

20200703_192448_hdr.jpg

20200703_192505_hdr.jpg

20200703_194138.jpg

Thanks! It helps that I didn't mind possibly screwing up a cheap guitar but so far so good!

I do plan to get a PRS SVN to go with my SE and CE at some point.

Back