I put pickup covers on my SE (pics included)

Mr.Koozie

I wanted to dress up my new SE Custom 24 a little so I bought some sliver plated nickel covers from Philadelphia Luthier Tools's website. Shipping was fast. The sizes are 50 mm and 52 mm. I wondered whether or not I would like them with the existing black mounting rings but I think it looks fine since there is black in other places on the guitar. These photos were the best I could get with the dreary weather we're having. I just couldn't get some decent lighting. It was a fun project and my first time soldering. Let me know what you think.

I used these instructions as my guide for both determining the correct size to order and for installing. I think this guy covered everything:

On to the pics.....

IMG_2151_zpsc866c086.jpg

IMG_2146_zps6c0e2fbe.jpg

IMG_2138_zps7faa605d.jpg

IMG_2126_zps533f3b48.jpg

IMG_2125_zps7e547f3b.jpg

IMG_2116_zpsed87e5ba.jpg

IMG_2125_zps7e547f3b.jpg

IMG_2115_zps8e4c8209.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work. Looks Great, making me wonder if I should cover the zebra pick ups on my new Floyd se. ;)

Nice work. Looks Great, making me wonder if I should cover the zebra pick ups on my new Floyd se. ;)

That's a tough one. I've seen the pic of your new guitar and it looks sweet with the zebra pickups. But they might look nice with covers too. Tough decision. The good thing is, it's a reversible mod.

+10

All zebras should die a fiery death. I'll NEVER understand the appeal of them.

I installed maple rings stained to match the binding and brushed nickel covers on my 2012 Custom 24 SE and it looks AMAZING.

+10

I installed maple rings stained to match the binding and brushed nickel covers on my 2012 Custom 24 SE and it looks AMAZING.

Agreed. My 2013 has the Dark Charcoal finish and, when I can, I will probably do the same. But I think I would like the black rings and black covers if I can find them. Don't understand whitish rings, don't like the contrast. Makes it look cheap, IMO.

Will likely change out the rings on my PG as well as the toggle tip.

I'm starting to like Mojotone. I watched a bunch of their videos the other day about upgrading the magnets on a cheap strat and was thinking of doing that to mine. Fluff (Ryan Bruce) from you tube talks about them a lot and reviewed one of their amps he has (the British 800) and it sounded nice.

+10

Can you post a pic? I would love to see how that looks.

+10

I like the zebras :vroam:

Back