I played a Vela today

Ovibos

Naughty Wood Librarian
Happened to be in Buffalo Grove, and hit up the Sam Ash there. No cores, but a few SES and S2s. Already better than the local GC.

Had them grab the lone Vela off the wall, since I've never played one. Great neck, nice weight. Tried to dial in some sounds on the Katana (cause I'm used to mine) and the Nextone (cause I wanted to check it out), and it's definitely a different beastie than my Customs.

However, I got kinda sidetracked. The toggle was audibly scratchy (yeah, store wear but I'd hope they hold up) and I found the push-pull had a very odd sensation where I could feel the holllowness under the pickguard as I used it - almost the pot flexing into the cavity.

I wanted to like it, but those niggles kept me from really engaging. Was it just this one unloved example?

I absolutely love my Vela. I did replace my switch though. I love everything about it. The looks, the feel, the tone/versatility.

I have quite a few core models but my Vela is one of my favs

They saved $ here and there but I also only paid $800 for it.

Calling Boogie to the courtesy phone.
Admittedly, the switch bugs me too. It’s next on the “replace” list but the stock one isn’t horrible, much less a show-stopper. I also totally get the “sound of the push/pull” comment too, but again, it doesn’t detract from the playability and sound of a great guitar. If you overlook those small distractions, there’s something really special going on with this model.

A recent overhaul looked like this...
velaplateback.jpg

The push/pull was eliminated and a pair of RS Guitarworks SuperPots replaced the rest of the guts. Was it completely necessary? Absolutely not, but the results ratcheted-up this guitar from great to sublime.

I’d give it another chance. ;)

...I found the push-pull had a very odd sensation where I could feel the hollowness under the pickguard as I used it...

That's the 'resonant body' working there ...

The S2s have the same electronics as the SEs. Where the SE is all MIK, the S2 is MIA body, finish, neck and MIK loaded pickguards. Swapping out with the usual brands of controls can run under $30 with some careful shopping.

When I see so many people auto-swap their pickups with some boutique brand no matter what guitar they buy (even $3k Gibson and PRS Core alike), it's not a bad plan cutting the S2 price with imported electronics.

That's the 'resonant body' working there ...

The S2s have the same electronics as the SEs. Where the SE is all MIK, the S2 is MIA body, finish, neck and MIK loaded pickguards. Swapping out with the usual brands of controls can run under $30 with some careful shopping.

When I see so many people auto-swap their pickups with some boutique brand no matter what guitar they buy (even $3k Gibson and PRS Core alike), it's not a bad plan cutting the S2 price with imported electronics.

And they are also likely to have an amazing sound for the people who like to play with pickup height. The alectronics and pickups are more affordable, but they’re not cheap in quality. Obviously you get better electronics with core and CE. However, before I received my first S2 I had all these plans to change all the electronics, including the pickups. To my surprise, I didn’t feel the need to do so once I plugged the guitar in. I might have made a few adjustments on the pickup height to my liking, but those S2s are just awesome all around.

I know I've said this before. I have intentionally avoided this model because I'm afraid I'd like it, but... I can't get past that Tele bridge. The new Studio appears to be more my style. Haven't played one of them either.

I know I've said this before. I have intentionally avoided this model because I'm afraid I'd like it, but... I can't get past that Tele bridge. The new Studio appears to be more my style. Haven't played one of them either.

The Vela SLAYS. That bridge intonates perfectly, and sustains really well. I haven't put my Vela down - whereas the Studio hasn't been touched.

Happened to be in Buffalo Grove, and hit up the Sam Ash there. No cores, but a few SES and S2s. Already better than the local GC.

Had them grab the lone Vela off the wall, since I've never played one. Great neck, nice weight. Tried to dial in some sounds on the Katana (cause I'm used to mine) and the Nextone (cause I wanted to check it out), and it's definitely a different beastie than my Customs.

However, I got kinda sidetracked. The toggle was audibly scratchy (yeah, store wear but I'd hope they hold up) and I found the push-pull had a very odd sensation where I could feel the holllowness under the pickguard as I used it - almost the pot flexing into the cavity.

I wanted to like it, but those niggles kept me from really engaging. Was it just this one unloved example?

I'd say it was a typical GC "abused" floor model. I just got a Vela and have none of those issues.

The bridge is simply brilliant. It’s not a crappy, sharp-edged, stamped steel POS like the typical stuff. It’s full of ingenious innovation that makes it comfortable on your palm and spot-on intonation. As a non-fan of a typical Tele bridge, I’m blown away by this one. You really should try it.

The bridge is simply brilliant. It’s not a crappy, sharp-edged, stamped steel POS like the typical stuff. It’s full of ingenious innovation that makes it comfortable on your palm and spot-on intonation. As a non-fan of a typical Tele bridge, I’m blown away by this one. You really should try it.

You could say the same thing about the saddles on the Silver Sky. Superbly crafted. No risk of bloody hands on that thing, either.

Admittedly, the switch bugs me too. It’s next on the “replace” list but the stock one isn’t horrible, much less a show-stopper. I also totally get the “sound of the push/pull” comment too, but again, it doesn’t detract from the playability and sound of a great guitar. If you overlook those small distractions, there’s something really special going on with this model.

A recent overhaul looked like this...
velaplateback.jpg

The push/pull was eliminated and a pair of RS Guitarworks SuperPots replaced the rest of the guts. Was it completely necessary? Absolutely not, but the results ratcheted-up this guitar from great to sublime.

I’d give it another chance. ;)

Very neat work!

Back