I need to learn that

Wakester

Re Member
How many times have we been out somewhere, or have been listening to the radio, heard a song and said, 'I need to learn that' ? What song have you been wanting to learn, what's stopping you? What motivates you to learn that song?

What usually happens with me is I'll hear something in a song I already know like a underlying part that I didn't notice and want to learn that.

When I was contemplating joining my last band, wife and I went to one of their shows to check them out first. They had two guitarists that were kind of young and were doing just an ok job.

They played 311s version of love song and both guitarists played the opening A chord as an A major. If I remember correctly it's an A minor 7th with B on top. Anyway that A major was like fingernails on a chalkboard.I turned to my wife immediately and asked her if she heard that? Oh yeah!!!

The next day I fired up the amp after giving it a listen and figured out that chord.

The rest of the band was clearly tired of these two guys coasting and they were fired two weeks later and I replaced them both. I' m no longer with that band but it was fun while it lasted.

The first time I heard "Freeride" by EWG I was thinking holy cow!!!! What a badass song, must learn!

Oddly enough, I did eventually play that song live but that particular band I was the lead singer and didn't play guitar on it. Bummer

If I remember correctly it's an A minor 7th with B on top. Anyway that A major was like fingernails on a chalkboard.I turned to my wife immediately and asked her if she heard that? Oh yeah!!!

The next day I fired up the amp after giving it a listen and figured out that chord.

See, I totally admire this kind of dedication. It is the polar opposite of what I do when I hear a chord I don’t know, which is simply to decide I don’t really need to play the song at all.

This, sir, is why I had to learn to compose music.

So I could actually play it. ;)

A few recently come to mind, Killer Instinct by Black Star Riders and a few by Boston. Would like to get more precise at Joe Satriani's Shockwave Supernova and lastly there is some really cool tones/ chording/ fills in Jason Aldean's Fly over States. I know all over the road but its that tone and song writing that makes us listen to and want to learn more. I think a lot of people think of this. I admire members like the above Mr Schefman who can create music I think its a lot harder than most would think, an art for sure.

It wasn't a specific song that I'm aware of but a couple months ago, I was at a local guitar store (no, not GC) and there was an older gentleman there trying out an arch top guitar through a Fender Vibrolux (I believe it was) and this man was playing every jazz chord progression under the sun. I stopped to listen to him, closed my eyes and it sounded almost exactly like Les Paul in his prime. I so wanted to ask him if that was a song he was playing or just running down different progressions but I didn't dare interrupt his flow. I couldn't stop listening to him, he was so good and his playing was fluid and not one bad note. This was something I could have listened to all day and never get bored of hearing, even for a Drop C idiot metal guitarist like me.

none of my favorite bands have virtuoso guitarists so it works out. i would like to drop fripp’s solo from ‘cirkus’ into a pop song someday, and can do it in standard tuning but i forget what i’m doing by the time i’m done.

I try to learn a disco/dance/pop song a week.

My professional life was all about original material and composition, having retired (mostly) at that and moving on to housewifery, I feel like it’s important to continue to advance my skill set in case I need to start working again or something bad happens like divorce. That’s my motivation.

So my backup plan is as a musician for gay cruises. I figure that’s probably my best bet to be able to play “Last Night a DJ Saved My Life” and “Send Me Forget-Me-Nots”.

solid plan until you’re on a poseidon adventure with a bunch of drag queens screaming for ‘bette davis eyes’. please consider this house classic:

I try to learn a disco/dance/pop song a week.

My professional life was all about original material and composition, having retired (mostly) at that and moving on to housewifery, I feel like it’s important to continue to advance my skill set in case I need to start working again or something bad happens like divorce. That’s my motivation.

So my backup plan is as a musician for gay cruises. I figure that’s probably my best bet to be able to play “Last Night a DJ Saved My Life” and “Send Me Forget-Me-Nots”.

In my case it's a form of earworm. I hear a lick, or mentally replay a lick from memory, and if I hear it in my head too much, I decide I want to learn it. One recent one that for some reason I want to learn is "Lonely Children" by Foreignor.

I honestly can't remember the last time I learned somebody else's song. It's been years and years. There's a ton of stuff I love to listen to, but I never learn to play it. I have albums and albums worth of original material. About ten years ago I stopped playing live music because of this.

what!?

I honestly can't remember the last time I learned somebody else's song. It's been years and years. There's a ton of stuff I love to listen to, but I never learn to play it. I have albums and albums worth of original material. About ten years ago I stopped playing live music because of this.

Back